Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 8:28:49 PM EDT
IIRC, the Operator barrel uses 4150 CMV steel.  But, does this steel meet the MIL-B-11595 CMV alloy spec that SDI and BCM barrels meet?  In reading some posts on this site and on M4CARBINE.NET, I'm getting confused as to whether 4150 CMV barrels, generally speaking, meet MIL-B-11595 specs.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Call Denny.  Or Mike Rock.

Now, assuming for a moment that it's not (I don't know that to be the case, this is purely a hypothetical), what application do you engage in that would uncover the flaws of the "less than" CMV alloy?  Would it really matter to you if it weren't?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#2]
oops
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#3]
The Operator is made with CMV.  Here's a quote from Denney's site.

"The barrel is a 16.1 INCH Mid Length gas. The blanks are Rockcreek(Mike Rock). The barrel steel is 4150 Chrome Vanadium, full auto rated."

Here's the link to the page for the Operator.

global-tactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=472

AFAIK, this complies withe MIL-B-11595 specs just like the Sabre mid-length barrel I have.

In fact my next build will be built around a 16" Operator barrel...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Call Denny.  Or Mike Rock.

Now, assuming for a moment that it's not (I don't know that to be the case, this is purely a hypothetical), what application do you engage in that would uncover the flaws of the "less than" CMV alloy?  Would it really matter to you if it weren't?

jmart:  I knew that someone was going to ask that question, sooner or later.  I'm just trying to educate myself as much as I can on barrel steel, and in the process of trying to do so it appeared to me that there was a difference between 4150 CMV barrels and the barrels that are expressly described as meeting the MIL-B-11595 spec. But, it seems that there may not be any difference.

I'm just curious...and that's it.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Fair enough.

As was posted, it is advertised to be the equal.  But even if it isn't down to the nat's ass spec, it's still a damn good barrel.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Fair enough.

As was posted, it is advertised to be the equal.  But even if it isn't down to the nat's ass spec, it's still a damn good barrel.

Agreed.  And for the record, I'm  just trying to ascertain whether barrels that are made from 4150 CMV steel the same as barrels that meet the MIL-B-11595 standard.  Or is there still a difference between the two?  I didn't mean to single out the Operator barrel, but this was the first barrel that came to mind.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]
This is to say that not all 4150 steels are considered Mil-Spec. In order for it to be Mil-Spec it would need to be a 4150 grade AND it would have to comply with the specifications listed in 11595.

Table One (listed above) shows three types of chemical compositions and ranges for Mil-Spec 4150 barrel steel as defined by 11595.
ORD4150, ORD4150-Resulferized, and Chrome-Moly-Vanadium (CMV) should not be confused with the generic term of a Chrome Moly barrel. My opinion and the opinion of the US Government (as defined by the Mil-Spec) is that one of the three is not better than the others. They are all they same and are all 11595 (Mil-Spec) barrel steel. In some descriptions used by steel companies I have seen the Grade of CMV further listed as 41V45, which is a bit more descriptive, but probably just add confusion in this context

So, there it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top