Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 11:29:35 AM EDT
I just picked up my first MIAD grip for my RRA Middy and all I can say is WOW! My hands are pretty big (and you know what they say about guys with big hands. They say, "Hey, you have big hands!")

The large backstrap with the single finger groove front strap seems to be the ideal grip for me. It puts my thumb right at the safety instead of infront of it. I don't have to reach back to get to it.

My fingers don't touch around the grip any more, and my trigger finger is right at the first joint on the trigger.
I have to reach a bit to get the safety to re engage, but not much worse than before.

All three of my AR's had Hogue grips, but I am going to have to go back to the gun show tomorrow and pick up at least one more for my entry tactical. I just don't like having my thumb touching my fingers when I am holding the grip.

I also picked up my first two P mags to try out. The quality seems very good. The follower moves extremely smooth. I think I will end up with quite a few of them before I am done.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. You figured it out.

Out of my 9 ARs, 7 currently have MIADs.

One has a Sierra. My wife's has a Hogue.

I luv MIADS.

I'll probably dump the Sierra for a MIAD.

Congrats on the find.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured I would post a couple of pics to show the relationship of my hand to the grip. It might be good for folks to see how it looks.

First, the Hogue grip.

Next, the Magpul MIAD

I put my finger in the trigger guard to show how far forward my trigger finger is in relationship to the trigger. If I wanted to press the trigger with my first joint, my trigger finger would have to arch quite a bit in an uncomfortable way.

My trigger finger is nearly fully extended in the second picture. This should relieve some stress on the hand while shooting and make longer range sessions more productive as my aim and trigger control won't degrade over time.

I did switch to the B2 medium back strap to allow my hand better reach to the safety. I don't have reposition to re engage the safety. It is huge improvement over the standard type grips for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
IBTTDN!

(In before the trigger discipline nazis!)
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IBTTDN!

(In before the trigger discipline nazis!)

If they can suggest a better way of illustrating what I needed to show, then I will take it into consideration. Otherwise, they can kiss my ***!

Its not like I am walking around a public range. I am sitting in my house, taking a picture.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have huge hands and like the same setup.  It seems to really fill out the palm of your hand and makes holding the rifle more comfortable.  

Or at least it does for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I figured I would post a couple of pics to show the relationship of my hand to the grip. It might be good for folks to see how it looks.

First, the Hogue grip.
i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/IMG_0499.jpg

Next, the Magpul MIAD
i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/IMG_0500.jpg

I put my finger in the trigger guard to show how far forward my trigger finger is in relationship to the trigger. If I wanted to press the trigger with my first joint, my trigger finger would have to arch quite a bit in an uncomfortable way.

My trigger finger is nearly fully extended in the second picture. This should relieve some stress on the hand while shooting and make longer range sessions more productive as my aim and trigger control won't degrade over time.

I did switch to the B2 medium back strap to allow my hand better reach to the safety. I don't have reposition to re engage the safety. It is huge improvement over the standard type grips for me.

What is that safety that you have on the one with the Hogue?  Do you like it?

And back on topic, I don't know how small the MIAD can go, but I sure like it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn Shrek, I can see why you'd like it.

The MIAD is definitely a great grip.

I've played with Hogue, Tango Down, Magpul, and I'm currently digging a right handed Ergo grip.  I don't like the ambidextrous ones however, it's got be for a righty.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Damn Shrek, I can see why you'd like it.

The MIAD is definitely a great grip.

I've played with Hogue, Tango Down, Magpul, and I'm currently digging a right handed Ergo grip.  I don't like the ambidextrous ones however, it's got be for a righty.

Hey! What can I say! I am not green, but the rest of me is pretty Ogre like too!

The safety on my Entry Tactical is their Star safety lever. I honestly never really gave it any thought. The Star is definitely easier to catch. I will probably end up putting an ambi lever on my Middy some day soon.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you left handed?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]
i dont really have huge hands or anything, but i like the larger grip that the MIAD gives me. i like the texture on it as well. i hope that the rail covers Magpul makes are textured the same. i plan on getting some whenever i put a railed handguard on the M4.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are you left handed?

No, but I plan on training both ways to get used to the feel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#12]
guys I am thinking of getting one of these grips.

Is there any flex being that the grip has changeable fronts and back straps.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
they lock up very tight. the rear panel even has a roll pin that you can punch in when you choose the right grip size.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you left handed?

You use your first joint on your finger?  I use the pad.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you left handed?

You use your first joint on your finger?  I use the pad.

I use the pad, up to the first joint. The first joint rests against the side of the trigger.

If I use only the pad, then I have to unnaturally bend my finger out instead of resting it comfortably against the trigger. Using the pad only would actually force me into milking the trigger and grip, throwing off my shoots.

With my currect technique, I can press the trigger without moving my finger at all past the second joint. Much less effort.

I bought my second MAID grip today at the gun show. Black this time for my Entry tactical. The hole in my upper must not have been quite right because I had to file out the hole slightly to allow me to get the screw in. Its on now and solid as a rock!

ETA: I also bought 9 more Pmags. My mag pile is up to 88 30 rd. mags now, but only 11 Pmags. I will finish off the hundred with P mags at the next gun show. I got them for $13 each with a volume discount. I can't wait to try them out!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top