Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2007 3:20:08 AM EDT
I would like to see you Vltor casv's. I have one on the way, looking for ideas. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.  Like to see some as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2007 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Awsome rifles guys ""
This thread needs to be tacked   ""
Come on theres got to be more VLTOR CASV's around than this! ""
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I just put one on this weekend, but I didn't think to take any pictures. I'm still pretty new to the whole AR scene, and I don't have a bunch of gadgets to hang off of mine, yet, so the pictures would be pretty plain.

On the subject of the CASV, I'm struggling to understand the apparent lack of enthusiasm for it. After playing around with it a bit, I'm amazed by the rail combinations that are available since you essentially get double the number of rails of most other handguards. It's incredibly easy to install as it uses the delta ring to hold it in place along with the flat-top rail, and it neatly clears the FSB. And add in the fact that you only have to place the rail sections you actually plan to use, so you don't have to spend the extra cash on rail covers, it seems like a sure winner. Yet it's rarely mentioned when folks talk about railed handguards.
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump I'm interested in seeing some as well!! I
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 10/29/2007 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting... It would appear VLTOR has made a running change, incorporating some of the new features of the CASV-M in the -EL as well.

Mine has 2 additional mounting locations, which are the upper surfaces 45 deg. off of the top rail, giving you a total of 8 locations around the barrel to mount things, if you include the top rail of course. And there's a hole on either side for a QD sling mount.

I took some pics, but then I realized I need to host them somewhere, and I'm far too lazy for that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]
How is co-witnessing the Aimpoint with the low mount?  Works pretty well?  or bottom 1/3?
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How is co-witnessing the Aimpoint with the low mount?  Works pretty well?  or bottom 1/3?

Bottom 1/3rd. Which I prefer.

Link Posted: 10/29/2007 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bottom 1/3rd. Which I prefer.

Nice, I think this is what I'm going to get for my current build.  Thanks for the pics and the information.
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Just rebuilt this carbine after a pretty hard summer of shooting.  Used the opportunity to try a CASV and it is a superb rail.  Very solid.  Should be more popular than it is although more people seem to be using them lately.  Highly recommended.

Link Posted: 10/29/2007 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I was a huge fan of this rail system from when I saw the first photo of it.  Since I do the Middy thing there hasn't been an opportunity to use it in the past, but with the new mid I'm very interested.

It looks quite wide, is it comfortable when holding it by the body?
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was a huge fan of this rail system from when I saw the first photo of it.  Since I do the Middy thing there hasn't been an opportunity to use it in the past, but with the new mid I'm very interested.

CASV, A2

A2, CASV

MI, A2, CASV

CASV IMO is kinda slim compared to the others; thats without the rail attachments.  I only put the rails on I need w/ this system; keeps down the bulk.  The "MI" you see with TD covers can be bulky.
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess since I started the topic..............
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CASV, A2
i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/wolfpakar15/casv005.jpg

A2, CASV
i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/wolfpakar15/casv004.jpg

MI, A2, CASV
i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/wolfpakar15/casv003.jpg

CASV IMO is kinda slim compared to the others; thats without the rail attachments.  I only put the rails on I need w/ this system; keeps down the bulk.  The "MI" you see with TD covers can be bulky.

Thanks for the great photos and info.  I have avoided MI & YHM because of thier width. I have a Samson on my current favorite, with ladders on the side,  I like it slim.    i think this is slim enough..... What I would really like is a Middy EL style.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Tucson,

How is your EO co wit??? I'm looking at getting the CASV however concerned but not a whole lot about the cowit my BUIS
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 12:21:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Tucson,

How is your EO co wit??? I'm looking at getting the CASV however concerned but not a whole lot about the cowit my BUIS

You can't co-witness with the EO on a CASV. I'm looking into the Aimpoints as a potential optics solution.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I dont mean to hijack but Ive been looking at getting the casv and id like to know if they are only compatible with vltor's MUR upper? vltor doesnt offer a complete MUR upper and i dont have the tools to put one together. So will it work with others? Also whats the shortest barrel one can use w/o it being recessed? In other words Id like a barrel thats sits flush at the end or one that would leave enough tip to attach a noveske kx3 flash suppressor. Is that possible?

Thanks
Rob

Nice AR's BTW
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]
It works with any flattop upper.

It's roughly 9" to the end of the handguard, so you'd probably want to go with a 10.5" barrel. Just my noob guess.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Also whats the shortest barrel one can use w/o it being recessed? In other words Id like a barrel thats sits flush at the end or one that would leave enough tip to attach a noveske kx3 flash suppressor.

this is the midlength CASV-M with noveske's 7.5" diplomat barrel and kx3 - you can see that the kx3 will fit inside the handguard:
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#22]
^ Thats awsome. If it were all black it'd be perfect.
Link Posted: 11/1/2007 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
^ Thats awsome. If it were all black it'd be perfect.

That is pretty F**kin' sweet. Living in southwest I think I want something that matches the surrounding landscape. I'd take just the way it is although I did choose to go all black with my build.

My B-day is coming up soon and my brother will be getting me the VLTOR MUR! I can't wait to add that to my rifle!!! I love that upper.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 1:50:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 11/2/2007 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh yeah? Well then I guess im glad I wasnt in Indiana. The scenario was useing terrain to your advantage in a defensive engagement, IE, a 10 acre pond between you and advancing agressors coming down a mountain( The mountain is the backstop). Would kinda suck bein on the receiving end of that huh? Come down a mountain and run into a huge water obstacle that is overwatched, and then start getting engaged from the far side of the obstacle. What do you do, skirt the open danger area around the obstacle and try to flank, turn around and go back UP the mountain and into the woods, or dive in the water? Decisions, decisions. Anywho, not every range is a perfectly manicured square range with straight lines and rigid rules. Water is just another type of surface on the earth, shoot at the target on the far side and I promise you that your rounds will fly right over the water just fine, just like the land before it and beyond it, and youll probably even hit what your aiming at. Then again, if you folks up in IN cant manage to shoot OVER the water but end up dropping your rounds INTO the water, then perhaps you should frown on that practice, for your own sake. I manage this particular feat of spectacularly intense and difficult marksmanship with alarming regularity, so Ill not frown about it anytime soon. Thanks for your concern though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#28]
So, where's the cheapest place to get one the FDE carbine versions? Ive looked around a few of my fav shops, but all run about the same $275 or so...
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
this is the midlength CASV-M with noveske's 7.5" diplomat barrel and kx3 - you can see that the kx3 will fit inside the handguard:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/mcasv9.jpg

MM, not really a fan of the CASV-M, but damn that rifle is HOT.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks like it will pair well with a UBR. Can anyone post a CASV with a UBR?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Ditto...

Any more pics or info on the CASV M

Me likey...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ditto...

Any more pics or info on the CASV M

Me likey...
+1

ETA: Forgot this was a pic thread

Link Posted: 1/15/2008 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I emailed Vltor directly this a.m., asking about the CASV-M availability and cost with the front sight option. I really want one in FDE. I hope they reply to me. I'll let everyone know what I hear back.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#34]
MY specimen, fully loaded for a nighttime Hog hunt, and in dyatime config.  I love the versatility of this HG:

BTW, I will be doing a write up on the CASV - M and the pics are hosted and ready to go.  I just need to get the write up proofed and arranged and I will post it in this forum in a few days.

BTW,  NOTHING on the planet is easier to install....nothing, not even the plastic HG's !
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#35]
how do these work with flip up front sights?
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#36]
great.  VLTOR even included a position for a FUFS rail (the rail section itself comes included in the kit) .  This mounts right in front of the monolithic rail.

I'll show a picture of this in my write up, to be posted in a few days....
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#38]
My VLTOR CASV-M (mid-length model) write up is now posted in this forum.  Enjoy!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=358777
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top