Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 10:19:24 AM EDT
I am going to be putting together a 16" C.A.R. from Model 1 Sales chambered in 5.56  NATO with chrome lined chamber and bore. I was advised by my local gun store not to go with the chrome bolt and carrier because the chrome is liable to chip. Does any one have any experience with this. I do plan on putting a lot of rounds though this rifle. It is going to be my everything rifle for hunting, target shooting, etc. Any help will be greatly appreeciated.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a fan of the chrome. Depending on the brand it could be iffy and there is always a concern in the back of my mind with hydrogen embrittlement. If you go with a major mfgr you should befine.

I currently use a Les Baer Bolt Carrier with Smith Bolt and small parts. If I am not mistaken they are a derivitive of the Young set up. Young's come recommended highly also. Ask Wes from MSTN...they use Chromed carriers on a regular basis.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have your mind set on chrome - the Young MFG is the one to go with. I have that one with a couple thousand rounds behind it, it really doesn't show much wear at all. The chroming job on the carrier assem. isn't like a car bumper , it's not going to peel or chip off. Young's work is first rate, buy without fear. Having said that I got to say, I wouldn't spend the extra money again for chrome, a good quality parkerized carrier assem. will serve you just as well. LMT was the one I used on my most recent build.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you have your mind set on chrome - the Young MFG is the one to go with. I have that one with a couple thousand rounds behind it, it really doesn't show much wear at all. The chroming job on the carrier assem. isn't like a car bumper , it's not going to peel or chip off. Young's work is first rate, buy without fear. Having said that I got to say, I wouldn't spend the extra money again for chrome, a good quality parkerized carrier assem. will serve you just as well. LMT was the one I used on my most recent build.

+1

Bought one for the last build, but will just go back to LMT and save the extra money.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
chromed bolt carriers are not needed and in my opinion just another gimmick to take your money, like the Tornado for your car...don't need it
and again, there never was a "national match" AR or M16
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
chromed bolt carriers are not needed and in my opinion just another gimmick to take your money, like the Tornado for your car...don't need it

Chromed bolt carriers are great. They are 10 times easier to keep clean than non-coated carriers, which is a big deal for me. I hate spending excessive time cleaning. They also look pretty sharp, which is a bonus. Always nice when your expensive weapons look snazzy.

A Honda Civic works just as well as a Lexus LS460. Is the Lexus a "gimmick"?

My Young NM chromed M16 carrier with CMT bolt and key:
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chromed bolt carriers are great. They are 10 times easier to keep clean than non-coated carriers, which is a big deal for me. I hate spending excessive time cleaning. They also look pretty sharp, which is a bonus. Always nice when your expensive weapons look snazzy.

Fyrarms is right. They are noticably easier to clean....that is the only real benefit.

It does cut cleaning time down. That was my primary reason for going chrome.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
School me fellas - the only part of a bolt carrier that is all that difficult to clean is the bore where the bolt rides, which is chrome plated on a standard carrier anyway (and a bolt carrier carbon scraper such as the mark brown makes short work of this).  The exterior of the carrier, if you keep your gun lubed well, simply wipes clean.  Even with a chromed bolt you will have to scrape the tail of it anyway with a .45 casing or something.  So how is it noticeably easier to clean a chromed BCG than standard?

If it didn't cost more I wouldn't see a problem with it, but I would personally spend my $$ elsewhere (although they DO look good, admittedly).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I only spent $200 for the entire Young BCG as assembled by Randall at AR15Barrels.com. Considering I spent over $1200 on just my ACOG for the same gun, the price difference between a good quality standard BCG and the Young setup was pocket change. I guess the moral of the story is to buy the best parts you can afford if you want them. Again, Honda Civic or Lexus LS460...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am going to be putting together a 16" C.A.R. from Model 1 Sales chambered in 5.56  NATO with chrome lined chamber and bore. I was advised by my local gun store not to go with the chrome bolt and carrier because the chrome is liable to chip. Does any one have any experience with this. I do plan on putting a lot of rounds though this rifle. It is going to be my everything rifle for hunting, target shooting, etc. Any help will be greatly appreeciated.

It sounds like you need to shop at a different gun store. Why don't you ask them what was in the originals? Fucking morons

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sounds like you need to shop at a different gun store. Why don't you ask them what was in the originals? Fucking morons

DPMS has been a major supplier of chromed bolts in the recent past. Given their reputation, it may not be such a bad generalization.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Can someone explain the hydrogen embrittlement "issue" for me.  I vaguely remember reading about it, but it didn't stick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top