Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2007 4:40:11 AM EDT
I'm building a pseudo-SPR rifle w/18" WOA midlength barrel.  I want to ditch my front sight base and put on a gas block and folding front sight, but here's where things get strange.  I thought about using a midlength varmint style free float tube, or perhaps a customizeable tube where you can add the rails where you want them.  To do that I would need a railed gas block so I could install a flip up front sight.  Then I got to thinking, why don't I use a low-profile gas block and install a rifle length rail system so I could mount my flip up to the top rail, and bipod to the bottom rail?  Which would you do and why?  Midlength rail/tube with railed gas block or low profile gas block w/rifle length rail?  Keep in mind, I will be installing the new YHM Stainless Phantom supressor so I would need enough room up front to mount that.  MJD
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
While rail mounted front sights are technically not as precise since they are not attached to the barrel, I prefer them because they dont get hot, dont weigh much, and can be changed out.  Keep in mind it is a BACK UP sight and not a primary sight.  You wont be using it much so I would go with what will be the easiest to install, use, the least expensive, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with a 12" rail on my midlength RECCE.  I'm using a set of Troy flip ups for my BUIS.  The longer rail works well for me.  The gas system is completely covered (protected) and I have a longer sight radius.  

Not that I run it hard enough to need a protected gas block or fall back to irons but that's how I justified the longer / more expensive rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top