Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2007 8:50:38 PM EDT
I just completed my first 'dissy-like' build and the full length FF plus extras added 9oz to the rifles weight.  I need to get those ounces back!

So if I cut the 16" SPR profile down to 14.5" with a Lightweight profile, what weight savings can I expect?  What if I went down to the Pencilweight profile?

Thanks!

Scott
OKC, OK
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 4:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just completed my first 'dissy-like' build and the full length FF plus extras added 9oz to the rifles weight.  I need to get those ounces back!

So if I cut the 16" SPR profile down to 14.5" with a Lightweight profile, what weight savings can I expect?  What if I went down to the Pencilweight profile?

Thanks!

Scott
OKC, OK

A pound, maybe two?  Wouldn't be worth having the gone down and out of my hands to me at least
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Wouldn't be worth having the gone down and out of my hands to me at least

I found Randall's barrel calculator last night (what a cool tool!) and it showed a difference of 12.60 oz and 15.93 oz respectively.  So my 8lb 4.5oz will slim down to 7lb 4.6oz with a pencil profile, a 13.6% decrease.  Now that is significant!  Most importantly it is unbalanced weight at the front of the rifle and the reduction in weight will make the muzzle more "pointable" (read faster on target).
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I found Randall's barrel calculator last night (what a cool tool!) and it showed a difference of 12.60 oz and 15.93 oz respectively.  So my 8lb 4.5oz will slim down to 7lb 4.6oz with a pencil profile, a 13.6% decrease.  Now that is significant!  Most importantly it is unbalanced weight at the front of the rifle and the reduction in weight will make the muzzle more "pointable" (read faster on target).

There are other places (cheaper, easier) to drop weight on a rifle.  I just wouldn't want to put up with the hassle of shipping and not having my rifle for 1-2 weeks, but thats me..

I do not consider a 13% decrease significant but its all up to you, and in regards to making the rifle more "pointable" - maybe true, but there are ways you can practice coming up on target that would give you just as fast results (cheaper also).
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There are other places (cheaper, easier) to drop weight on a rifle.  I just wouldn't want to put up with the hassle of shipping and not having my rifle for 1-2 weeks, but thats me..

I do not consider a 13% decrease significant but its all up to you, and in regards to making the rifle more "pointable" - maybe true, but there are ways you can practice coming up on target that would give you just as fast results (cheaper also).

BS

that is a HUGE difference, especially since it is all coming off the front end.

DO IT
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why you have more than one rifle.  Two is one..one is none.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#6]
You can't shorten a dissipator to 14.5".  I think Randall posted a while back that 15.2" puts you flush with the FSB.  That might shave 2oz off the end.  Reprofiling is the bigger payoff to be sure.

Tell us more about your rifle...

What brand and profile of barrel?
What brand of forend?
What "other stuff"?

I have found that it can frequently be cheaper to sell your barrel and purchase a new one in the profile you want rather than having a major re-profiling done.  JT Distributing is working on a pencil profile dissipator, so that might be an option.

But ultimately, fivepointoh is correct, and I would personally suggest that if you need a lightweight 14.5" carbine, then buy or build a lightweight 14.5" carbine.  If you also need an accurate rifle with a longer free floated forend, then either stick with your Dissipator or build a Recon rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do the barrel is the #1 place to reduce weight on your rifle.  It is in the worst place for balance and you can shed the most.  Sure switching from a 3-10X scope to a Dr Optic or an A1 upper sheds a ton of weight but that changes the entire fucntion of your optic/weapon.  Optics in the same class are generally close in weight and since the weight is in the middle of the weapon it has minimum impact on balance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top