Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 3:27:52 PM EDT
Hi, I'm wanting to purchase an RRA AR15 - my first.  I really like the modularity of the system and how I can get different uppers for different types of shooting.  

Where I'm confused is in all of the different types of uppers available.  Can anyone help me decrypt these?  What is TASC vs. Car vs. Elite vs. Standard???   There is so much terminology that I'm simply not figuring out and certainly don't know the benefits of one over the other.  So, it is hard for me to make a good buying decision for my first upper.  I notice there are various lengths of gas blocks or fore-grips, etc.  What are the benefits and downfalls of these options?

Any help figuring this all out would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all of those terms are Rock River Arms terminology.

The great thing about AR15s is that so many companies make them, and they are all pretty much intechangeable.

RRA, Colt, LMT, Bushmaster, Sabre, Stag, .......  many others I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with a few more brands I forgot.

My advice is to buy a complete factory rifle to begin with.  As you get accustomed to the AR platform, and spend time here, you will change it over time, and probably wind up with several more as your wallet allows.

If you juat want a general purpose blaster/plinking rifle, get a 16 inch carbine (16 inch barrel with a carbine length gas system) or a 16 inch midlength (again, 16 inch barrel with a midlength gas system).  If you want more of a target rifle, a 20 inch rifle will be fine. Think about what you want to do with it and you will get better advice.

It is a pretty modular system, so one lower can have several uppers.  The lower reciever is technically "the gun" so once you buy that with the associated paperwork, you can order upper recievers all day long off of the internet and have them mailed to your home.

Welcome to arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks.  I'm still wondering what the difference is between having a carbine length gas system vs. a mid length, etc.  What is the benefit or why would I want to choose one over the other.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Carbine is the shortest.  (Except for a few specialized very short barreled weapons)
You may feel a little more recoil with a carbine gas system, and they are in use by the military.
Midlength is, I believe, a civilian thing.  They are not in use by the Armed forces on any large scale.   That is enough to turn off some people who want as close to the real thing as they can get.  It is probably a marginally better system than the carbine in a 16" gun. Minimally softer recoil.
The 'M4 style' with the step in the barrel is not available in midlength.
After market accessory rails are readily available for both.

If you like the military look, get the carbine.  If that isn't a priority for you, pick up both and shoulder them, see what they feel like.  For all intents and purposes, they will shoot the same.  Pick which ever one feels more balanced and pointable to you.
Check out your hometown forum and see if they have any outings, the majority of people will let you try a few rounds thru their guns.  Might get a chance to shoot both.

Whatever you do, for the love of all that is holy, don't ask ARFCOM what barrel twist rate you should get.   There is an ongoing civil war over the subject.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:33:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget this gem of a term from RRA past.

New Picatinny Spec = That's the reason nothing fits on our flat top receivers. The new spec will be announced at the Shot Show. How dare you say they are out of spec, the new spec just hasn't yet been announced.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was looking at RRA I never could figure out what an Elite, tactical entry, and all of that crap meant, I don't know why they need big words..  I decided I liked the Sabre much better anyway, and they used words that I could understand.

Seriously you should talk to some vendors on the phone, call people like Talon arms, PK firearms, Ranier,, all of these guys deal in more then one brand, some will have RRA.  The ones I mentioned are board sponsors so you can find them in the links above.  

Also, you should probably hustle to ammunitiontogo.com and buy some front line ammo while he has it.  That front line issue stuff is hard to come by so the price is high, but play it safe and grab a can of it while it's available.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't forget this gem of a term from RRA past.

New Picatinny Spec = That's the reason nothing fits on our flat top receivers. The new spec will be announced at the Shot Show. How dare you say they are out of spec, the new spec just hasn't yet been announced.

Yeah my favorite. Or how about the one- something to the effect as, "We make our buffer tubes to OUR specifications."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top