Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 8:37:21 PM EDT
I'm looking at the new CMMG "dissipator" uppers and trying to decide on either a rifle length or mid-length gas system.

Suggestions, thoughts, and or concerns...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Moose, I like both the rifle length and the mid-length systems. The rifle length offers a longer sight radius. For shooters with older eyes this system is a plus. Replacing full length hand guards is less costly. The mid-length still gives you a little better sight radius then the carbine length and you save a few oz. in weight. The mid-length may be the best of both worlds. I am looking at CMMG's 18" mid-length with the 1/8 twist. Good luck and let us know how your new upper shoots.

MHL555
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I just visited with the owner of CMMG last weekend at a local gun show.  He told me that his M10 16" multi-role barrel with a rifle length gas system will not work consistently below 20* F nor with bullet weights below 55 grs.  I went with the 18" spr barrel with the rifle length gas system instead.  He told me it'd be more reliable and not too long for what my uses would be and the recoil would be markedly less.  I'd be out shooting it now but we're experiencing thunderstorms as I type this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm looking at the new CMMG "dissipator" uppers and trying to decide on either a rifle length or mid-length gas system.

Suggestions, thoughts, and or concerns...

Mid length is the ticket.  The rifle length gas system in a 16" has a much narrower range of operation.  I noticed that you're in TX, so shouldn't have any problems with cold weather function but why risk it at all.  Get the mid length gas system with your dissipator and you'd be much happier .
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just visited with the owner of CMMG last weekend at a local gun show.  He told me that his M10 16" multi-role barrel with a rifle length gas system will not work consistently below 20* F nor with bullet weights below 55 grs.  I went with the 18" spr barrel with the rifle length gas system instead.  He told me it'd be more reliable and not too long for what my uses would be and the recoil would be markedly less.  I'd be out shooting it now but we're experiencing thunderstorms as I type this.

That's what they told me too. I went with the 16" with mid-length gas, rifle sight radius. No problems since break-in and I only shoot 55gr ammo. BSW

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for all the input...

Looks like I will leave the rifle length gas system well alone.

Now if I can just make up my mind to what "look" I like bettter, the Dissipator or the Mid-length!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Here's a pic of my mid length barrel with mid length handguard compared to the Dissipator pic above

Quoted:

Now if I can just make up my mind to what "look" I like bettter, the Dissipator or the Mid-length!

All AR fans should get both, I have a mid length now but I have plans for a Dissipator build later on.

The hard thing is which one to get first.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:20:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How about mid length gas, low profile gas block and rifle length FF tube?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top