Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2007 9:35:31 PM EDT
Is an SPR countour barrel considered to be a Heavyweight or a Midweight?
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say it is more of a light Hbar. It isn't as light as a Gov't profile. Look on the WOA website. I think John has the dimensions on his SPR barrels posted. My 16" SPR 6.8 middy balances perfectly with the standard weight YHM FF rail handguard.
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If "heavy" is defined as HBAR then I'd have to call the SPR a mid.
Link Posted: 2/19/2007 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#4]
So if I wanted, say, a CMMG 1:8 twist 18" chromelined SPR barrel (.840) with a midlength gas system and rifle length handguards, I could send it to you to be lighted up?

I'm building a KISS iron sighted gun and wanted something longer than a 16" but shorter than a 20".

What could you do for such a barrel?  With the mid length gas system, alot of the real estate is spoken for.  Not sure it'd be worth the effort unless I could subtract some weight.  May not be worth the effort, if so, I may elect a lightweight midlength barrel instead, or maybe a dissy.  I just thought a 1:8 KISS gun would be a nice add to the collection.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Taking a 0.840" mid-length barrel down to around 0.650" under the handguards saves you about 8 ounces.

damn...you sure do know your stuff!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 8:52:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#8]
It's enough to make a difference...that's all I need to know!

You'll be getting some business from me in another month or so.  I'll probably order the barrel and send you the upper along with it for assembly once it's done.  Thanks for your help!

I'll have to check out your site and see what else you offer up!  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
What I would like to see is a "reverse M-4" barrel. That would be .750" under the handguards, and .600" in front of the gas block.

I hear this is the profile they went with on the SCAR to try to correct the vertical stringing problem.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What I would like to see is a "reverse M-4" barrel. That would be .750" under the handguards, and .600" in front of the gas block.

I hear this is the profile they went with on the SCAR to try to correct the vertical stringing problem.

That's the RIGHT way to make a barrel.
Larger near the chamber, smaller near the muzzle.

I have no friggin idea why the A2 barrel is profiled like it is...

One reason I've seen tossed around is to mitigate the possibility of a bending the barrel while in the field.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So if I wanted, say, a CMMG 1:8 twist 18" chromelined SPR barrel (.840) with a midlength gas system and rifle length handguards, I could send it to you to be lighted up?

I'm building a KISS iron sighted gun and wanted something longer than a 16" but shorter than a 20".

What could you do for such a barrel?  With the mid length gas system, alot of the real estate is spoken for.  Not sure it'd be worth the effort unless I could subtract some weight.  May not be worth the effort, if so, I may elect a lightweight midlength barrel instead, or maybe a dissy.  I just thought a 1:8 KISS gun would be a nice add to the collection.

Didn't you already have the "Decimator" or something like that?  (I still have a pic saved at home )  I always thought that would be an EXCELLENT KISS or GP type rifle.  In fact, I've been thinking about one instead of a 16" mid-length.  

Was something wrong with that one?  

I would think it would be cheaper to have a 20" govt. profile cut (by Randall) to 18" than it would to have an 18" reprofiled and reparked.

Just curious...  
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#13]
man I've owned & sold so many AR's over the past years it makes my head spin, can you post that photo to jog my memory?  I can then claim or unclaim the "Decimator!"

I'd rather have a midlength gas system in an 18" barrel than a rifle length gas system with an adjusted port.  Especially up here in the damp & cold northeast.  My other AR's are wicked, but I always thought a lightweight 18" KISS gun with rifle length handguards & mid gas would be prime.  My intent for such a gun is to have a truck gun and/or one for a canoe trip or camping trip, etc.  Complete with a redi mag, XS same plane rear aperture, XS front night sight, and a MI bayonet lug rail adapter for a TL1 or Pentagon X2HA or something like that.  For a rough & tumble AR, I'd also want the added velocity of an 18" bbl as such a set up would be nice for shooting in Maine's often inclement weather.  No frills, all action.  Plus, in Maine most dangerous game wears a thick coat of fur or an insulated parka.  A little more penetration wouldn't hurt such a rugged configuration.  Lastly, I want a versatile chrome lined 1:8 twist.  The whole gun would get a Krylon earthtone color scheme too.  Nothing says sexy like a cheap weather-worn camo job.

My random thoughts anyway.  But if I build this 18" KISS AR15, the "Decimator" would be an excellent title!

I also apologize to Ayeguy for hijackin' the thread.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't you already have the "Decimator" or something like that?  (I still have a pic saved at home )  I always thought that would be an EXCELLENT KISS or GP type rifle.  In fact, I've been thinking about one instead of a 16" mid-length.  

Was something wrong with that one?  

I would think it would be cheaper to have a 20" govt. profile cut (by Randall) to 18" than it would to have an 18" reprofiled and reparked.

Just curious...  
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I have high hopes for my new barrel: it is a Sabre 18" chrome moly midlength, midweight fluted with chrome bore. I haven't weighed it yet, but I'm guessing it's less than an M-4A1 barrel, with +3.5" in length.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The flutes on the Sabre barrel are very deep. I'll weigh it and see how much it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top