Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2006 2:52:30 PM EDT
Hi,
 I am relatively new here and  haven't shot the 5.56 and the AR15 for a long time. So, need some advice on rounds. When I finally bought an AR15 I decided on the new gas piston type version, a POF-USA. So, I chose thier 'Recon' model with a 16" barrel with the vortex muzzel break. According to Frank of POF my barrel is ths 'CF' Continued Fluted Heavy Barrel with a 1:8 twist and has polygonal rifeling with heavy chromed lining. That's a true fact whith POF when it comes to a heavy use of chrome! He said it's just like Novaseki's barrels but not made of SS. Ok, this is a lot  of  info and comparison because I've seen and read a lot about Novaseki's barrels and there supposed to be on top. This barrel I have sound pretty good as well. I have not shot it yet. Time and the weather here has kept me from shooting this beauty.

My biggest question is bullet weight for the 1:8 twist barrel. So far I have a massed a good amount  SS109/62 grn. rounds of LC and some Radway with a good amount of Black Hills(blue box) 68 grn. MHP, 75 grn MHP and several boxes of Hornady's TAP in 75 grn. HP. I need to buy some 77 grn. MHP but haven't put the $ out yet on that round yet. The Black Hills and Hornaday TAP will do fine in this barrel and the SS109 marginal.

My biggest question is about the 55grn. round, is it too light for such a tight twist of 1:8  and thus be useless for serious target shooting or just good old plinking. It's relatively cheap,  more plentiful than any of the heavier rounds so what's the verdict on this this round with my new rig?  My old XM177 Bushy with its 11.5" barrel and 5.5 muzzel break had a 1:9 twist at best and shot the older round and the SS109 with out a problem but wasn't a 1" MOA shooter either. Plus that was years ago that damnned AWB came into to law. Never Again!!

So, any AR15 vetrans advice would be great and espscially any POF-USA owners and thier choice rounds would be greatly appreceieated.

WindRunnerII    

Link Posted: 12/24/2006 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same set up only with the carbine gas system over the the recon. looking back i would of liked the recon system and longer predator rail with the set up i now run.

I tried xm193 and was very unhappy with accuracy, it was just not a good round for that barrel and i dont think any 55 grain would do much better.

However i did'nt buy the 1/8 barrel to shoot lightweight rounds. I have two rounds mk262 and black hills 75 MHP blue box. The black hills are for the range and are very close to the same trajectory as mk262 which i use for home defence and have a .50 cal ammo can full of for SHTF.

Black hills bb are not that expensive and are very accurate so i dont see the need for any cheap 55's i would be unhappy with. Also if i run out of mk262 (fuck thats alot of dead zombies) the 75 MHP are an excelent round as well.

Accuracy and terminal ballistics over more ammo that misses and fails to stop.
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an 8 twist 18" 5-r that shot the 77gr. sierra fine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#3]
The beauty of the 1x8 twist barrels is that they can handle anything from 50-80 gr. ammo.  Just try out a box of the 55 Gr. FMJ and see how it shoots, but it should be fine.  Every barrel is different.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks! So, I think I will go with the heaviest round I can afford. Cabela's has BH "BB" and the  cheapist and has the most choices. I think the 68 MHP and the 75 MHP have the best prices I've found.

The 77 grn. is $35 a box but HSM has thier 77 grn. Tactitcal round at $350 for 1000 so that's not bad if I could split the case with a friend and if it shoots well. BH "BB"is hard  to find at a deceant price for the 75-77 gr. rounds. Any info for cheaper prices 'pray tel' please. But, the 1:8 twist will take the .55 rounds and shoot them well, no? What about the 80 grn. round? I wound if the POF barrel is set up to take a 80 grainer? Must have the right length throat to take that round. the 81 grain round is accepted by NRA for thier national small bore center fire only. Anyway, I'm going to check out the HSM ammo because of theprice and choice of rounds Thanks agan!!

WRII  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks! So, I think I will go with the heaviest round I can afford. Cabela's has BH "BB" and the  cheapist and has the most choices. I think the 68 MHP and the 75 MHP have the best prices I've found.

The 77 grn. is $35 a box but HSM has thier 77 grn. Tactitcal round at $350 for 1000 so that's not bad if I could split the case with a friend and if it shoots well. BH "BB"is hard  to find at a deceant price for the 75-77 gr. rounds. Any info for cheaper prices 'pray tel' please. But, the 1:8 twist will take the .55 rounds and shoot them well, no? What about the 80 grn. round? I wound if the POF barrel is set up to take a 80 grainer? Must have the right length throat to take that round. the 81 grain round is accepted by NRA for thier national small bore center fire only. Anyway, I'm going to check out the HSM ammo because of theprice and choice of rounds Thanks agan!!

WRII  

I have used the HSM ammo for almost 2 years and I have been very happy with it.  I shot the 77, 75,69, and 55 Gr. BTHP ammo and they are very accurate and cheap.  If you are going to be shooting for pure accuracy, I'd recommend the 69 or 77 Gr since they are generally the most accurate.  If you want a tactical load, then check out the HSM 556-17T or the 223-17T, which are loaded with the Hornady 75 Gr. BTHP with cannelures.  I'd try a boxof each first to see which one will shoot the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top