Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 4:25:58 AM EDT

Can anyone tell me what to expect during rapid or extended firing out of a lightweight barrel?  How quickly will the barrel be affected?  Will more heat transfer to the handguards because of the thin barrel?

The reason I ask is I am about to purchase a lightweight profile 11.5" barrel for my SBR.  If I deploy sometime soon overseas I intend to try to take this upper with me if possible because of the ease of moving the short barrel around inside a HMMWV.  Our issued M16A2s are virtually impossible to use in this situation, and I don't anticipate being issued an M4 prior to deployment.  If my unit is ambushed on convoy duty I might need to do a lot of firing on the way through, and I don't want to take a barrel over with me that won't perform when I need it.

I am not a shooter who spends a lot of time doing mag dumps or bumpfiring at the range or anything like that, but I might need to to test out this barrel once I recieve it.  Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any information.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#2]

TWL:

Thank you very much, great info there.  I'm saving it for future reference.

Regarding the buffer and magazine issues, I also intend to take personal mags over there with Wolff springs, and Magpul followers (or buy them and have them shipped to my APO).  I also have an aftermarket FA buffer to take with me as well.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Tom,

That's excellent information; thanks for sharing!

Justin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top