Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2006 6:53:47 PM EDT
Anyone have any issues w/ KNS Anti Rotate Pins breaking ?  I had less than 1k rounds on a new Bushy 9mm. When I went to clean it, this is what I found:

Colt F/A bolt is not ramped.

Does anyone know if KNS makes a solid pin version of thier Anti-Rotational Pins ?

Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, that is teh suck. I use them in all my ar's. I do not think there is a solid version, although there looks like should be.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
They {KNS}replaced both sets for me no charge. Problem I had was my counting. Got the guns out to chnage them and I had 3 sets not 2.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
They have a new generation of pins don't they.  Go check KNS's site there is info on them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditch those JUNK pins and have your carrier ramped.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone have any issues w/ KNS Anti Rotate Pins breaking ?  I had less than 1k rounds on a new Bushy 9mm. When I went to clean it, this is what I found:

i73.photobucket.com/albums/i220/hkmp5kpdw/DSC00270.jpg

Colt F/A bolt is not ramped.

Does anyone know if KNS makes a solid pin version of thier Anti-Rotational Pins ?

KNS has redesigned the system the hammer pin is now solid. If you contact them they should replace yours with the 2nd Gen. set.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Even after you have the KNS pins replaced, I would still get the carrier ramped.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I understand the principle behind these pins, but I don't see the point of them.  Keep in mind I don't have a FA lower or anything, but neither do most of the people I see running these on their weapons.  The only lower I have seen have worn out FCG pin holes was a cast lower that is about 15yrs old.  I have plenty of ARs with thousands of rounds through them and have never needed these.

Are tons of people wearing out lowers and in need of these pins, or is it just a desire for cool ninja parts?

This is not meant to stomp on a product or anyone's decision to use a given product.  I pose this question with an earnest desire to know if I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]

This photo shows a substantial wear mark from the "j-pin" inside the hammer.

It appears that the trigger pin was used as a hammer pin, if this is the case the hammer may have floated to one side helping the break in the form of off center leverage.

Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I spoke w/ KNS today and they are going to send a solid pin as a replacement with the improved side braces.

Not sure how it happened but, it does appear I installed the pins in the wrong order (gotta get glasses  ).

KNS said not having the bolt ramped can put excessive force on the hammer pin and recommended I have the bolt ramped asap.

Also said they tested the new solid pins (duplicating 35,000 rounds fired) and they held up very well.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#12]
AWESOME!

I'm sure if it was installed that way on a 5.56 weapon it probably would be fine, it must just be the roughness of the blowback system.

ROUGH
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I understand the principle behind these pins, but I don't see the point of them.  Keep in mind I don't have a FA lower or anything, but neither do most of the people I see running these on their weapons.  The only lower I have seen have worn out FCG pin holes was a cast lower that is about 15yrs old.  I have plenty of ARs with thousands of rounds through them and have never needed these.

Are tons of people wearing out lowers and in need of these pins, or is it just a desire for cool ninja parts?

This is not meant to stomp on a product or anyone's decision to use a given product.  I pose this question with an earnest desire to know if I'm missing something.

I'm in the same boat as you, still deciding if I really need this "gadget" in my AR's.  I've read in this and other forums that as they are presicion machined and prevent pin rotation, they improve trigger pull???  Easy on me, thats what I read.  Any one with true experience may enlight us newbees...
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I originally purchased the pins to help distribute the carrier/hammer impact force between the hammer pin and the trigger pin.  Maybe that wasn't what they were originally designed for ?

It appears the 2nd Gen version is designed to hold the pins in the receiver, but not to distribute force between them. This new system allows the hammer pin to float, instead of being tightly held in place like the 1st Gen version.

Should I be concerned with elongated hammer pin holes ?  

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I was unhappy with the new design myself. The reason I bought the first ones was for the same reason you stated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I'm going to use this new set on my .223 (w/ McCormick Match Trigger) and go back to using the 1st Gen version on the 9mm.

Just gotta remember to install them in the right order
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yeah, I'm going to use this new set on my .223 (w/ McCormick Match Trigger) and go back to using the 1st Gen version on the 9mm.

I doubt that had anything to do with it. It worn its own groove.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in the same boat as you, still deciding if I really need this "gadget" in my AR's.  I've read in this and other forums that as they are presicion machined and prevent pin rotation, they improve trigger pull???  Easy on me, thats what I read.  Any one with true experience may enlight us newbees...

If you live in a state where you can cheaply and easily replace lowers should something happen to the FCG holes then don't bother with them. I on the other hand use them bacause I can no longer buy receivers here in commiefornia so if they prevent wear then it was a well spent 30 bucks.
Until I can move out of state permently they will remain on all my lowers.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if they will continue to produce the older "Gen 1" pin set?

Sure they are still "anti walk" pin sets, but eliminating receiver wear was the real reason people bought them!

I would think the main selling point of the pin sets was eliminated with the newer "Gen 2" set......???
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure I understand that. The failure appears to be a direct result of them being improperly installed. The force of  hammer j spring (walking around, and probably even over to the weakest point of the pin), carving it's own notch in stainless steel.
You really think this had nothing to do with the failure. OK
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I would think the main selling point of the pin sets was eliminated with the newer "Gen 2" set......???

Which selling point? They are still stainless, still anti-rotational. I read that 90% of all .mil lowers are srcaped on first trip to armorer due to trigger pin holes worn to much.
These pins prevent that whether you think they are a gimmick or not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Sure they are still "anti walk" pin sets, but eliminating receiver wear was the real reason people bought them!

They are still anti-rotational. The slots in the retaining arms capture the flanges on the hammer pin( replaces the need for the screw). They still are ANTI-ROTATIONAL, they will still protert your lower FCG pin holes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure I understand that. The failure appears to be a direct result of them being improperly installed. The force of  hammer j spring (walking around, and probably even over to the weakest point of the pin), carving it's own notch in stainless steel.
You really think this had nothing to do with the failure. OK

No I do not beleive it had anything to do with the pins failure. The broken set I saw posted before was installed correctly.

One feature of the older style pins was they held the pins tight at the correct distance between the holes. Both holes worked together. I like the first ones because of this. The new ones seem to have movement in the slot and do not help appear to hold the two pins together. They already have another anti-rotational set that is easy to us if I did not want that feature.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ditch those JUNK pins and have your carrier ramped.

you know you like them

Just like the  Titanium Fireing Pin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top