Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2006 5:06:06 PM EDT
First off, for the 'search nazis' I already did a search that didn't come up with anything useful.

I am building an SBR.  I now have everything except a barrel and BUIS (still deciding on that).

I will be using this as a plinker and an duty carbine at work (police officer on a narc unit).  I decided to go the SBR route since sometimes working inside houses and in vehicles, the 16" AR I am issued gets a bit unwieldly.  The PD just isn't willing to spring for a Commando, and if they did, they wouldn't let me outfit it like I want.

I am taking a good hard look at the noveske crusader 12.5" bbl.  I had just about decided on the 11.5" from CMMG when I saw the crusader on Noveske's website (looking to see if they made an 11.5").  Any 10.5's I think are just a bit short for my tastes.  There seem to be few that offer a 1/7 chrome lined 11.5 inch - colts are pricey and I want a low profile gas block since I have a mid-length rail that will cover it - gas blocks are harder to find in the colt lw flavor (and I alrady have a Larue in .750).  

Anyone have any experience with the 12.5 crusader?  Is it worth the extra $100 over the CMMG?  I have heard the noveske produces better MV than most - anyone with firsthand experience with this?  Can I expect a fair increase in accuracy with the Noveske over the CMMG?  Any help making up my mind will be helpful.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Both will serve you well. The Noveske is on the high end, but if you can afford it, go for it. But IMHO the 11.5" CMMG will serve well, and save you a couple of bucks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say...

If your planning on building this rifle to use at work buy the CMMG barrel and drive on.  Most guys (LEO's) that I know keep their work builds on the cheap due to the investigations that will occur if you ever have to use it (shoot a bad guy) while at work.
Save the Noveske barrels for your personal build.

Then again..it's your money!

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
After reading the range reports from MSTN about Noveske products, I will be using their barrels in my next AR build.  I had the same thought as you - 12.5 is about ideal - but after shooting a 10.5 today (with suppression), I don't think the extra 2" are necessary.  The fragmentation range would be extended a bit, but that 10.5 was wonderful...
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking about going this route too with either a LaRue 10" or 11" rail. The Crusader is not a barrel you see very often; I started a thread a few days ago asking for pics and no one posted that combination.

The Noveske will certainly be more accurate and will give you velocities similar to a typical chrome lined 14.5". You have to decide if the extra dough is worth it.

If you do go with the Crusader, post pics!
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd say...

If your planning on building this rifle to use at work buy the CMMG barrel and drive on.  Most guys (LEO's) that I know keep their work builds on the cheap due to the investigations that will occur if you ever have to use it (shoot a bad guy) while at work.
Save the Noveske barrels for your personal build.

Then again..it's your money!

Appreciate the thought, but BTDT - got the rifle back in 3 days.  While I will use this on duty, this is kinda my pet project - I get few opportunities to do stuff like this on my pay and with my mean wife - so I wanna do it right.

I might to the coin toss on this one - let fate make up my mind.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about going this route too with either a LaRue 10" or 11" rail. The Crusader is not a barrel you see very often; I started a thread a few days ago asking for pics and no one posted that combination. Already got a 10" troy at home collecting dust

The Noveske will certainly be more accurate and will give you velocities similar to a typical chrome lined 14.5". The x-tra velocity is one of the big selling points for me if I do it.You have to decide if the extra dough is worth it.

If you do go with the Crusader, post pics!

Still up in the air.  I hate choices.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:20:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/DSCN1705.jpg

Wes, is that a 10" LaRue rail? What's your lead time on a Crusader?

Thanks a million for that pic!

eta,

Now that I look at it, it appears to be a 9"?
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, thanks guys.

I think I will suppress my urge to be different and stick with the CMMG bbl.  It will be a bit more compact and will do everything I need done while saving me a few bones.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]
SPDSNYPR,
Also consider the 10.5 that LMT makes. I know Wes has them. I would be more inclined to go with LMT over CMMG.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/DSCN1705.jpg

Wes, is that a 10" LaRue rail? What's your lead time on a Crusader?

Thanks a million for that pic!

eta,

Now that I look at it, it appears to be a 9"?

LEAD TIME IS QUITE SHORT, SINCE I HAVE ONE BARREL LEFT IN STOCK. MORE ARE ON THE WAY, TOO.

CORRECT - THAT'S A 9.0. THE 11.0 SHOULD BE IN FIRST, FOLLOWED BY THE 10.0, I HAVE BEEN TOLD.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Whoops, don't know how I missed the reply Wes. Email sent!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#14]
For the type of engagement ranges you're likely to see, 10.5 should be completely adequate when loaded with 75 grain TAP. However, the crusader is one sexy looking platform.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Ordered a 11.5 - both my wallet and my wife convinced me to go with the less expensive option.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#16]
11.5" what?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#17]
OH - sorry.  Found out that Bushmaster had made a few 1-7 chrome lined 11.5" bbls.  Got the whole barrel assy for $210 shipped.  I think they have 2 left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top