Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2006 3:49:28 PM EDT
Who make's a better upper receiver and stripped lower receiver, Stag Arms or Olympic Arms?. I've read a few good things about Stag Arms however they are a new company that has not been around for a long time. Olympic Arms has been around for long time and I've not heard to many good things or bad things about them. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Stag has in fact been around for quite some time as their parent company CMT but they just recently opened up a retail wing. (Stag Arms)  They are still under the umbrella of CMT.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys. Could anyone please advise me of any of the geometric issues and/or QC problems Olympic Arms was having with there upper and lower receivers and if so, did they fix these problems with there upper and lower receivers. The parts to be used in the upper and lower receiver are made by Bushmaster including the barrel. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd choose Stag over Oly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
you cant compare olympic and STag. STAG ARms quality is far better than olympic, IMO
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Does Stag have a lifetime warranty on there receivers, Oly does.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A Kia has a hell of a warranty too but that doesn't make it better than a Mercedes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A Kia has a hell of a warranty too but that doesn't make it better than a Mercedes.

Actually given some recent negative European editions of consumer reports and JD Powers, the Kia just may be better.............
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Achhh. Your Kia/Mercedes crack got me right in the guts.  

I'm the owner of two Kias, and the only thing that's broken in the 5 years since I bought the first one was the driver's door latch--which was replaced under warranty.

Now I used to own a foreign auto parts shop some years back, and remember with fondness all the money I made on window riser units, alternators, and starters for the Mercedes/Breaks in town.

Sorry, there ain't no comparison to be made here.  Sure, the M/Bs look better, but those Koreans build a hell of a lot more reliable piece of transportation, than the Turkish and Arab ignoramuses that M/B and the othe Kraut outfits use to build there overpriced crap.

However, the comparison isn't appropriate for the original question.  Stag, is a betterproduct than Oly. Period! No more to be said
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry my STAG to the range in my KIA, have not had any problems with either

Seriously, the STAG is a great weapon. I own one and my son runs one as a duty weapon.

I do really own a KIA Sorrento and have 40,000 trouble free miles (so far).  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Oly, hands down. Oly may not be as pretty, but it is more accurate. I care more about accuracy than I do looks when it comes to guns. My Bushmaster looks great and shoots good, but my Oly looks good and shoots groups smaller than a dime at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#14]
STAG
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#15]
I have purchased both, built both, put a few thousand rounds through both. So far the have proven to be neck in neck on quality, equal to my bushy's and RRA's. People still bitch about OLY issues back in the day with their cast lowers. Those problems have been gone for years. I am not sure if those 2 companies use the same forgings to begin with but their are only a few companies who do forgings for most all manufactures. Either will work great, don't sweat it, buy the cheaper one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#16]

People still bitch about OLY issues back in the day with their cast lowers.

I have complaints about some newer Oly forged ones myself. Would pass on the Stags too because of fit problems I have had.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Stag doesn't need a lifetime warranty on their recievers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oly, hands down. Oly may not be as pretty, but it is more accurate. I care more about accuracy than I do looks when it comes to guns. My Bushmaster looks great and shoots good, but my Oly looks good and shoots groups smaller than a dime at 100 yards.

I need an old priest and a young priest...

Oly is well known for making accurate bbls, but the rest of the rifle leaves much to be desired.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
OA is hit and miss.  Here is a pic of an OA mag well.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/K3B/magwell.jpg

Did it work?

Unless you are entering your gun in a picture contest where you take pictures of the inside of the magwell.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#21]
One Id buy in a heartbeat, the other Id go to "Herculean" efforts to avoid.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#22]
STAG by FAR

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did it work?

Unless you are entering your gun in a picture contest where you take pictures of the inside of the magwell.

No kidding, I think we have all seen lowers with more cosmetic issues than that from the bigger companies.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have complaints about some newer Oly forged ones myself. Would pass on the Stags too because of fit problems I have had.

Exactly what sort of fit issues do you run into? Upper match to lower?
What brand gives you a 100% fit everytime?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had problems with hole placement and  sizing more than once.
Never had a fit problem with anything from LAR or JV Precision.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had problems with hole placement and  sizing more than once.
Never had a fit problem with anything from LAR or JV Precision.

I guess I am just lucky or ignorant, I don't even know who LAR or JV Precision is.
Ignorance is bliss.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did it work?

Most mfgs would not consider this to be acceptable.  It's evidence of sloppy machine work.  I've been told that such machine marks come from a dull cutting bit.  The width of the upper rails were on the narrow side and had to be swapped out to accommodate the Aimpoint.  The FCG had to be swapped out when it started doubling.  The buttstock had its own issues as well.  The weapon is still in service, but required alteration.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#28]
As stated..  Buying and AR based on warrantee is just as st00pid as buying a car based on warrantee.  

Get the gun that you won't need to have warrantee work done on in the first place, Jethro!

(Hint:  That AINT the OLY!)

Not only does OLY's quality suck hind tit, their Customer service can be piss poor too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I WOULD PICK a  LMT or Colt with No warranty over a OLY with a LIFETIME warrranty

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top