Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2006 9:04:54 PM EDT
thanks in advance for looking,

kinda embarrassed.  went to the range yesterday, fired of some HSM ammo (maybe a wrong choice of ammo).  i'm guessing a live round swelled up in the chamber of the barrel.  as i attempted to carefully push the round out of the chamber with a GI cleaning rod, two sections of the rod broke off.  so i thought of trying again with another rod, and it too broke off.  a total of three pieces stuck in the barrel.  hahahahahahahahahaha!!!  

any advice, is there a chance in saving it, or is it just a cool paper weight.  

pat
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
is the barrel still mated to the receiver?

if it is off, can you get to the casing from the chamber side?

ETA: did you have a squib? is the cartridge live?
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to hear about that.  Hopefully you havn't messed anything up royal.

Note to self:  Don't buy a MRP barrel from Sanjuro1.

Can you remove the barrel from the receiver?

Please use a proper cleaning/push rod (read Dewey One Piece) on your 1,500 upper.  Those GI four piece rods are made for emergency use and can really *uck up your tube - but I guess you found that out the hard way.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys,

hahahahahahahaha.  yes the round is live, primer still intact.  and yes the barrel has been removed from receiver.  how do i extract the round without hurting myself, what tools do i need? also, still how do i get the rods out.  

pat
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Take it to a reputable gunsmith.

Or...   I'd probably soak the cartridge in some kind of light penetrating oil...  seeing if they're commercial loads, they probably won't be sealed, so deactivate the cartridge first if you can.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2006 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks again guys,

for all the advice and help, ultimately i think i'm gonna send the barrel back to the factory and see what they can do.  

pat
Link Posted: 10/8/2006 7:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
thanks again guys,

for all the advice and help, ultimately i think i'm gonna send the barrel back to the factory and see what they can do.  

pat

Hopefully you will do that after you get the round out of the chamber.  I really do not think LMT would take receipt of the barrel with a live round in the chamber.

Have any pics, so we can see the situation at hand?
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#7]
hey guys,

just an update, called over to LMT, and they said they will take a look...  we'll see what happens...  will let you guys know if i own a cool paper weight or not, hahahaha.  

pat
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you try to remove it while the rifle was together?

Reassemble the rifle. Leave the safety on. Carefully point the weapon up in a safe direction and slam the buttstock onto the ground while simultaneously pulling back on the charging handle. There are three possibilities:
1) the round will fly out
2) the rim will be ripped off of the round and you will still have a case stuck in there
3) the extractor will not have enough tension to do either 1 or 2

I have seen all three possibilites.

And I suggest you invest in a Dewey 1 piece cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Can you get a beefy flat screw driver, insert it into the rim and pry the round out?  I wouldn't wanna ship a barrel with a live round in it  As long as it's not a squib (since the round hasn't been fired, it could be just the case that's stuck in the chamber) your barrel should be ok.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#10]
hey guys,

Well, here is the update.  As you all know i  @ucked up.  So, i called over to LMT and they said they would look at the barrel, casing and all "just pack it very carefully."  So Gene from LMT called today and all i wanna say is that LMT BY FAR HAS THE GREATEST CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!Gene said that he would replace my barrel free of charge.  

Thanks Gene.  And thanks guys for all you help and advice.  

pat

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Good to see that LMT took care of you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
My powers tell me that something doesn't seem right here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My powers tell me that something doesn't seem right here.

Yes and that would be; you have no powers. WUHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I really do not think LMT would take receipt of the barrel with a live round in the chamber.

I sure as shit wouldn't.  Christ.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I really do not think LMT would take receipt of the barrel with a live round in the chamber.

But apparently they did.  My concern was more for the carriers who were involved with shipping.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Gene and LMT have awsome customer service, they have treated me well by replacing an entire upper.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:01:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But apparently they did.  My concern was more for the carriers who were involved with shipping.

Yeah, what kind of marking do you put on a shipping container for that?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Take it to a reputable gunsmith.

Or...   I'd probably soak the cartridge in some kind of light penetrating oil...  seeing if they're commercial loads, they probably won't be sealed, so deactivate the cartridge first if you can.  

WD40 is good at this
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
hey guys,

Well, here is the update.  As you all know i  @ucked up.  So, i called over to LMT and they said they would look at the barrel, casing and all "just pack it very carefully."  So Gene from LMT called today and all i wanna say is that LMT BY FAR HAS THE GREATEST CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!Gene said that he would replace my barrel free of charge.  

Thanks Gene.  And thanks guys for all you help and advice.  

pat

AGREED
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please forgive my ignorance here as I'm only a barrel maker and a reloader, but what's the problem with shipping a barrel with a loaded round in the chamber?
Do you realize what kind of energy it takes to ignite a primer?
ANY barrel I ship is protected by the packaging so it can't take a hit.
Now, you must also realize that the stuck case will be at least 1/4" down inside the barrel extension.
What are the chances that something is going to pierce through the packaging and make it directly to the center of the barrel extension and hit the primer with enough concetrated force to fire the primer?

If you are thinking that's even remotely possible, play the lottery.
Play it every week.
Let us know how that goes.

Let's say it's your lucky day and something actually DOES fire the primer.
There's no bolt holding the case in the chamber.
That case is coming right out of there.
The force to move a bullet down-bore is MUCH greater than to remove a really stuck case.

some guys think if you throw abullet in the fire its going to go Flying!1

I dont see anything wrong with this
hell if ya worried TAKE carrier out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top