Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2006 10:07:10 AM EDT
It was implied from another thread that John would be using a new "steel" for some of his barrel offerings, in place of the 416R.  

It APPEARS that this new steel is 17-4 H1075 Stainless.  Here's a quote from his website:

After months of research, development, and testing, we are happy to announce our new Extreme      
    Duty Barrels. The barrel is made of 17-4 H1075 Stainless with a rockwell hardness of 36-38. This is
    30% harder than mil-spec 4150 barrel steel. The barrel is harder, tougher, and more resistant to
    erosion than other barrels.

Benefits:
    Sub MOA accuracy
    Minimal to NO Fouling
    Extended Barrel Life
    Higher operating tempatures

Looks like the "usual suspects" will be made with this steel.

If this isn't the new steel that is being talked about, then I'm not sure what else is in the works.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Im glad Ive waited this long to get a Noveske....they just keep on improving them

New contours, new lengths, new materials...etc
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Veddy interesting.  And not for the faint of wallet either.  

17-4 10.5" CQB Upper complete
The 10.5" CQB upper is now available with the 17-4 barrel. The upper is supplied with the following:

KX3 flash suppressor
MP tested bolt with auto carrier
Extended feed ramps
1 in 7" Twist 17-4 Barrel, 10.5" long
LaRue 11" SBRS Handguard
Carbine length gas system
LaRue gas block, pinned
Forged charging handle

$1,785.  Sights, optics, lights are optional.

I swear this alloy sounds more and more like what Arms Tech is using, and maybe also the Blackstar barrels.  From what I understand they are a pain to machine, it takes longer and you have to be very careful with your reamer sharpness, feed speed, etc.  I'm curious what just the barrel alone runs, but he advertises these for professionals and if you want a more economical version, go with his 416R barrels that he's offered all along.

I'm not ragging on this at all, new stuff is always cool.  Just be advised, you'll have to pay if you want to play.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree...the 416R should be more than sufficient for most of us.  This new offering is obviously directed toward those who NEED full auto, not those who WANT it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
is 416R any different than what other barrel makers are using for SS barrels (IIRC, others are 316??)
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
17-4 is going to be expensive, it's not easy stuff to work with and it's not as inexpensive as 416R is.  It will make one tough ass barrel, no sulfur and ~4% nickel IIRC, it's about the most exotic material that is appropriate for a barrel.  I would like to be a fly on the wall when whomever is doing the deep hole drilling, reaming and buttoning figures out this material.  Pac-nor does pull button rifling too which makes me wonder if they will move to a push/pull or a push buttoning for this material to keep from breaking the rods that pull the buttons.  It will be very interesting to see what they sell for and how many start going out the door.

Tray-W 416R is the standard stainless steel for barrels in the US, a few offer 410, and LW uses a German alloy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tray-W 416R is the standard stainless steel for barrels in the US, a few offer 410, and LW uses a German alloy.

Thanks. For some reason I was thinking 316.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
The web page has been updated: last night the 10.5" barrel was listed at $890.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The web page has been updated: last night the 10.5" barrel was listed at $890.  

I saw that too.  Now it looks like you can't get just the barrel, but have to get a complete upper instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top