Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 6:00:22 PM EDT
Okay guys, I have put together a KISS carbine with a superlight Colt barrel. While I do often stalk the night and ward off evil doers I feel like I do not need a flash hider on this one. I already have Ar's with Vortex's  and Phantoms. I do not want to spend over $40 on a muzzle device. This thing is super light and I think a effective brake would be nice. What do I want? I have considered the YHM brake that looks like a Phantom, sort of.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:52:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Okay guys, I have put together a KISS carbine with a superlight Colt barrel. While I do often stalk the night and ward off evil doers I feel like I do not need a flash hider on this one. I already have Ar's with Vortex's  and Phantoms. I do not want to spend over $40 on a muzzle device. This thing is super light and I think a effective brake would be nice. What do I want? I have considered the YHM brake that looks like a Phantom, sort of.

For a KISS carbine, you can't beat the A1 birdcage flash suppressor. It's light, short, and should do a decent job on a 16" barrel. The Vortex and Phantom do a much better job at flash suppression. If you do not want to spend $40 on a Vortex, the Phantom 5C1/5C2 is only about $22-$25 shipped. If you stalk the night, get a flash suppressor, not a muzzle brake. The brake will not suppress flash and will usually increase report causing zombies to pinpoint your location. A night stalker rifle *needs* a flash or sound suppressor.

BTW from your username, I take it you hate MTVs ? LOL. What's so bad about them? I think the interiors are fairly refined compared to a HMMWV.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for a plain a1 flashhider and if its gonna be a brake it would have to be the mstn qc
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]
With a $40 budget, I'd go with a standard A2 compensator or one a Troy Ind Medieval Brake.  I suppose you could do an AK74 brake or a Y-Comp.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With a $40 budget, I'd go with a standard A2 compensator or one a Troy Ind Medieval Brake.  I suppose you could do an AK74 brake or a Y-Comp.

The Y-Comp is a loud mofo, and the AK-74 brake will make enemies at the range (the people directly next to you). I had a kid with a POS SKS that had a AK-74 brake. Every shot sent powder/gas in my face. Worst part was that I was RH and he was LH, so we had to shoot very close together. Needless to say, I had to stop shooting and get out of the firing area when he was shooting that SKS.

Again, if it is night stalker, zombie patrol, anti-evil doer KISS carbine, you really want flash suppression and not a muzzle brake.

Cheapest and fairly effective for 16" barrels: A1 birdcage or A2 birdcage (I do not like the A2 because of the timing requirement, and it isn't really a compensator at all).

Second up: $22-$25 Phantom 5C1 / 5C2. About 5% less effective at flash suppression compared to the Vortex. Must be timed as well.

Vortex: $40, should be called a flash hider instead. Might snag on something but that is for another debate altogether. Installs w/o any washers and tightens by itself. No timing required.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I've yet to hear a brake that wasn't loud.  If a brake is what you're after, your choices shouldn't be limited to decibels absorbed nor should it be based on the shooter next to you at the range.  

Brakes are designed to reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip.  If I had a brake on an AR and someone at the range got pissed at me...I'd tell him to move down a few stations and leave me alone.

Your parameters are, according to you:

1) Cost

2) Effectiveness

That'll put you into a y-comp, AK74, A2, Troy, YHM, and a few others.  It'll boil down to a preference thing.

If your third parameter is "looks" then that might help narrow it down to a winner.  In any case good luck.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've yet to hear a brake that wasn't loud.  If a brake is what you're after, your choices shouldn't be limited to decibels absorbed nor should it be based on the shooter next to you at the range.  

Brakes are designed to reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip.  If I had a brake on an AR and someone at the range got pissed at me...I'd tell him to move down a few stations and leave me alone.

You don't want to escalate the situation. I just sat down and waited for him to finish because the other stalls were all full. Muzzle brakes are really a nuisance unless you absolutely need to reduce recoil / muzzle flip like in a competition.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't want to escalate the situation. I just sat down and waited for him to finish because the other stalls were all full. Muzzle brakes are really a nuisance unless you absolutely need to reduce recoil / muzzle flip like in a competition.

I agree
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I vote the OLD 3 prong type  Flash hider

A good Brake I would asy MICULEK one of the best types or similar
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
The Jerry Miculek brake is great too.  It is similar to the MSTN QC unit, except it doesn't have the 3 small ports on top, its a little louder and Jerry's costs about $25.  If I really wanted a brake it would be the MSTN or Jerry's.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I vote the OLD 3 prong type  Flash hider

A good Brake I would asy MICULEK one of the best types or similar

After trying on several fh's and brakes I had on hand I am using an old 3 prong. Looks kinda different on a Ar with M4 handguards and coyote furniture but I like it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The old 3 prong muzzle device is about as effective as the A1 or A2.

OMFG Look at the Fireball HERE
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I am pretty much just using it for a thread protector anyways. It just looks best/is most compact on the pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The old 3 prong muzzle device is about as effective as the A1 or A2.

OMFG Look at the Fireball HERE

Man I want to know where this test was done at.. looks like the inside of someones office lol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am pretty much just using it for a thread protector anyways. It just looks best/is most compact on the pencil barrel.

I thought you wanted a brake. Thread protector, just cut them off.

Inexpensive brake, Armalite makes a very good one. J.M. also as advised.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I thought you wanted a brake. Thread protector, just cut them off.

Inexpensive brake, Armalite makes a very good one. J.M. also as advised.

Yeah, but heck, the 3 prong was on hand and free. As far as cutting the threads off, no way. That would bring the barrel to under 16" and also just be dumb of me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
MSTN has a good break.  its over $40 bucks though.  
Wes, would def. hook you up

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top