Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 3:54:45 PM EDT
Anyone know if someone makes one? Website?

Also, I can dremel my pressed on muzzle brake off but pressing a FH on might be a problem. I have a friend with a tall press that he uses for pressing bearings onto axles and posi's among other things.....is that the type of press that's needed. Just line it up and press it on?

His press looks just like this one:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/rear_axle/wheel_bearing/press.jpg

Thanks for any info.

DW
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it to Adco.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Send it to Adco.

Good advice.  Get it threaded.  There are not press on FH, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
When they thread the barrel, does it wreck the finish on the barrel anywhere but the muzzle? I just got the gun Duracoated in Digital Mirageflage. Like do they clamp the barrel into a lathe or something?

I know I should have gotten it done before getting the gun refinished, but as they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

DW
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When they thread the barrel, does it wreck the finish on the barrel anywhere but the muzzle? I just got the gun Duracoated in Digital Mirageflage. Like do they clamp the barrel into a lathe or something?

I know I should have gotten it done before getting the gun refinished, but as they say, hindsight is always 20/20.

DW

What barrel do you have that is using a pressed on brake?  Most of them have normal threads underneath and they are either silver soldered or blind pinned and welded into place.  If the barrel is 16" or more without the brake installed and it has threads underneath then all you need to do is dremel off the old brake and screw on the hider.  If the barrel is less than 16" wthout the brake then you can't press on a hider because that won't be compliant with the law, it will have to be welded or sodlered on.

If you've got some kind of pressed on fake hider that is covering part of the barrel, then when you remove it the newly exposed barrel section will not have your fancy finish.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It was a gun show upper, so I don't know exactly what brand of barrel it is.....Was told Wilson when I bought it. Here a pic of the compensator.

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/416474/137951420.jpg

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL806/138216/416474/137952350.jpg

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is pressed on, how much would you charge to take it off and thread it like you mentioned above (without ruining my new finish)?

PM me a price.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was a gun show upper, so I don't know exactly what brand of barrel it is.....Was told Wilson when I bought it. Here a pic of the compensator.

That's an Armalite muzzle brake.
Wilson made/makes barrels for Armalite.
Good chance you scored an Armalite upper if it was all factory built.
Armalite did have some brakes that were pressed-on during the ban period.

Zoom in on the carry handle...see the AR in front of the sight....it's an Armalite

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top