Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 11:56:53 PM EDT
I am thinking about using a Troy MRF (9") for a midlength build.  Looking for some feedback from anyone who has (or had) one.  

TIA,
Copperhead
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Not directly related, but some food for thought

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=276194
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#2]
excellent forearm IMO. I have bought 1 mrf-c and won another here on the site. No complaints with either one and I prefer the way this system presents a continuous top rail as compared to some of the other designs out there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Troy MRF-R.  Overall I really like the handguard, continuous top rail, removable lower rail, very easy to install (with anti-rotational ears for added protections).

The Troy's only drawback is the weight.  While it's lighter than other easy-to-install designs (notably the SIR and MI) it's a little heavier than the equivalent Sampson.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Love mine...will probably have them on every AR I ever have from here on out now...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Pretty sure this is the route I want to go - need to decide between the Troy and the MI, but I like the continuous rail option, especially because I want to mount a TR 21 Accupoint as my primary optic.  May come down to weight vs. price...  

Copperhead
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 3 Troys, A tan one that came on a troy 6.8 upper, one 12" and another that im going to make a future build with. Ive been realy happy with mine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Pretty sure this is the route I want to go - need to decide between the Troy and the MI, but I like the continuous rail option, especially because I want to mount a TR 21 Accupoint as my primary optic.  May come down to weight vs. price...  

Copperhead

Same decision here. i think the MI is 3 oz heavier, with the troy weighing in at 20 oz.

Forest, are you sure the Samson and Troy weigh two different weights? If the Samson is indeed lighter, could you tell me how much it weighs? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Forest, are you sure the Samson and Troy weigh two different weights?

Yes - Sampson does some lightening cuts inside to reduce the weight a bit.

Current Carbine (7") Systems
Sampson: 12.5oz INSTALLED
Troy: 13.0oz INSTALLED

Now you're saying "WTF it's only HALF an ounce".  You are right it's not a big deal.  But notice I said "currently", earlier versions were 11.6oz (installed) they seem to have removed a lightening cut from the process.  I'd also note that in the past the people at Sampson were receptive to you sending in your unit for even more lightening cuts.  Older versions of Sampsons with rail covers would weight the same as Troy w/o covers.

Here are some other installed weights I have that can be directly compared:

Sampson MRFS-MX: 17.3
Troy MRF-MX: 17.5

Sampson MRFS-R: 20.3
Troy MRF-R: 20.5

As new Sampons are only slightly lighter I'd look at two other things (unless you're buying older used Sampsons - or don't mind sending them back for more work) cost & availablitly.  Also note the Troy's now come with some rail panels IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Forest,

Its kinda scary how much you know. Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.  I've been collecting the data for a few years, I wouldn't have all of it w/o a bunch of help from my fellow ARFcommers & Vendors.

Always looking to add more.

Now if I can only find a way to properly model the MIAD's weights I'll be all set...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Forest also authored the Weigth table at Maryland ar15 which has all the weights for most ar15 related stuff. I recommend everyone going over there and reading all useful information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top