Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 7:03:01 PM EDT
Alright guys heres my deliema I am fixing to order a upper reciever from Fulton Armory. I'm trying to decide whether to get the 16" heavy contour chrome moly or the 16" govt. profile chrome lined.  It comes with a 5.56 match chamber.  

I was wandering if it was usless to have a match chamber and a govt. profile 16" chrome lined barrel?  

How bad exactly is the chrome lining going to affect my accuracy?  

And finally in your opion do the advantages of one outweigh those of the other?

Thanks Adam
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody???
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:51:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never heard of a 5.56x45 match chamber. Is it a Wylde style chamber (in-between 5.56N and .223 Rem)? Match chambers are generally supposed to be tighter for "more accuracy".

IMHO I stick with 5.56x45 chambers so that I can shoot 5.56N ammo and .223 Remington ammo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]
In the world of the AR, the term match can mean damn near anything. There are no true match specs. for the AR as was true with the M1 and M14. In *most* cases the term match is a marketing gimmick used to lure more money out of your wallet. FA is very good at that.

Caveat Emptor!!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#4]
You would have to ask Fulton Armory  what their 5.56 Nato Match chamber is to get more information.  Who knows, is it a CLE like chamber with a shorter throat length or a Wylde type chamber which is pretty much just a 5.56 Nato chamber with a tighter throat diameter (.2240) but has the same throat length and angle (not what I would call an in between chamber, but that's me).  And it could just be copy from a marketing type too, don't know.

For that type of a rifle I'd get the government profile but that is because of weight.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You would have to ask Fulton Armory  what their 5.56 Nato Match chamber is to get more information.  Who knows, is it a CLE like chamber with a shorter throat length or a Wylde type chamber which is pretty much just a 5.56 Nato chamber with a tighter throat diameter (.2240) but has the same throat length and angle (not what I would call an in between chamber, but that's me).  And it could just be copy from a marketing type too, don't know.

For that type of a rifle I'd get the government profile but that is because of weight.

The throat length on the Wylde is shorter than the NATO chamber. It is not as short as the CLE chamber, but definately shorter than NATO.

This is explained on several different web sites, White Oak being one as I recall.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The throat length on the Wylde is shorter than the NATO chamber. It is not as short as the CLE chamber, but definately shorter than NATO.

JGS Wylde throat length is .0619" but the JGS Nato reamer is .0566", it's longer not shorter.

Link1
Link2
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JGS Wylde throat length is .0619" but the JGS Nato reamer is .0566", it's longer not shorter.

Link1
Link2

All I know is this.

When you seat an 80 grain Sierra bullet to touch the lands in a Wylde chambered rifle, you touch the lands at +/- 2.465" to +/- 2.475" OAL. With the NATO chamber, the same Sierra 80 grain bullet will touch the lands at +/- 2.550" OAL.

I have found this with 3 different barrels of each chamber.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]
That's pretty interesting.  You never really know what an OEM does unless you cast the chamber.  One thing that's obvious is that the NATO chambers are .0025" greater in throat diameter and then trig out the throat angle and the point that the throat meets the bullet may be longer on the Nato chamber (sorry I don't want to do trig this morning ).  A secant ogive (not sure if the 80gr SMK is a secant) will just make the OAL difference more pronounced.  I'm probably all messed up on the ogive / OAL issue, I don't do trig in my head very well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top