Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 8:29:18 AM EDT
What should I look at when choosing a barrel manufacturer besides for reputation?  I am going to buy a 16" mid length and am down to choosing between WOA, Sabre, and Wilson.  What is a good determining factor?  Obviously price come in to play, but is not the number one concern.  I just want the best for the money.  Any input?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
After price, all there is is reputation to consider.  Any of those listed will do well for you, but they are all decidedly mid-range quality (and price).  You can do much worse and much better than the ones listed.  Better barrels would be Krieger, Lilja, Rock Creek, Douglas, etc.

But FYI, WOA is a barrel contourer, not a barrel maker.  Wilson makes barrels (bores and cuts rifling), but only does limited contouring. I believe WOA actually uses Wilson barrel blanks, so you would end up with a WOA-contoured Wilson barrel.

If you're talking about barrel specs, that's entirely on you as one twist or length or contour is not necessarily better than another, just about what you plan to use it for.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
But FYI, WOA is a barrel contourer, not a barrel maker.  Wilson makes barrels (bores and cuts rifling), but only does limited contouring. I believe WOA actually uses Wilson barrel blanks, so you would end up with a WOA-contoured Wilson barrel.

If you're talking about barrel specs, that's entirely on you as one twist or length or contour is not necessarily better than another, just about what you plan to use it for.

I wasn't aware they used Wilson blanks, but their contouring is a big part of why I leaning towards them.  I want light under the handguards.  I already have the specs picked out for what I want to do, I was more curious how you narrow it down to specfic manufacturer after you pick out what you want and several manufacturers make what you want.

Define what you need and buy what you want

Exactly.  I dont want to overbuy.  I'm not a competitive bench rest shooter and I'm not looking to impress anybody with high price gear.  I just want an accurate barrel (MOA groups) that is turned down under the handguards.

I guess if WOA uses Wilson blanks, my real question is now how do Wilson and Sabre compare to each other?  Pros or cons to each of them?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I was wondering the same thing regarding Sabre and Bravo Company. Now I think I just might save and go with a Noveske midlength.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top