Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 3:05:49 PM EDT
I've got a pre-ban PWA lower receiver and I want to replace the butt stock with a CAR buttstock from Rock River.  As much as I hate the extendable stocks, I think it would make it easier for my kids to learn to shoot them.

So how do you get the butt stock off?  The big screw at the top of the stock?  What springs do I have to be careful not to launch?  Will I have to replace the extension tube?

TIA
TD
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#1]
These might be of some help.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at some drawings that team member Magoo6541 posted link, look for the lower half and also this Lower Receiver Assembly - GUIDES link.

Both A2 and telescoping stocks are shown there.

Remove your buffer and action spring by pushing down the buffer detent pin at the rear of the receiver.

Remove the upper stock screw, it will take a good force to take it out because of red Loctite on the screw.

Slide your stock back and remove it also remove the thick spacer.

Turn the buffer tube counterclockwise to remove it from the lower receiver - BE CARFUL WITH THE BUFFER RETAINING DETENT PIN, cover it with plastic or shop towel to prevent launching it.

You will need a RRA carbine extension tube or any commercial type tube. Mil-spec size tube like Vltor, LMT, Stag Arms, Colt, etc. will not fit RRA or commercial type buttstocks.

At the bottom of the instructions that I provided is the telescoping stock procedure.

There is another thread that shows how to install the CAR stock - Assemble Your Own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by Step Instructions! .

I have both A2 rifle and carbine ARs which I built myself.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you, parts ordered, will post a picture when I get done.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Here's a picture of the RRA CAR buttstock kit showing all the parts you need.
www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR0275K&storeid=1&image=stckcar.gif&CFID=9192283&CFTOKEN=88650184

Note none of your A2 stock parts can be used for the CAR buttstock parts, the CAR parts are all different.

All Carbine type parts:

buttstock (plastic sliding assembly)
receiver extension (buffer tube)
receiver end plate
receiver extension nut
action spring (buffer spring)
buffer assembly

You would also need a CAR buffer tube nut wrench, there are two types available.

Here's the old style stock wrench originally posted by team member FALARAK.

Here's the new style wrench by Bushmaster, RRA also have the same type wrench.

Bushmaster website link

RRA Tools website link

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually I got this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/eightinchfangs/MyGifs/carbuttstock.pngand the wrench.  I got lucky and guessed right with the kit- I think.

Any tips on how to replace it?  I understand the top screw in the back of my A2 stock will be tough to remove.  I assume the stock just slides off after that?  When I unscrew the buffer tube from the receiver, I'll have to make sure the buffer stop pin doesn't get launched.  Is that the only spring I'll have to watch?  What do you use to unscrew the existing buffer tube and screw on the new?  I bet a pipe wrench would label me as a 'bubba'.  Although I'm thinking with the car nut, I just hand tighten the buffer tube until the buffer retaining pin works right, then tighten up the car nut.    Lube the threads at all?  If so, with what? Or blue loctite?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The screw in the top of the A2 in my experience has not been hard to remove at all.  After you take out that screw the stock will slide off of the buffer tube.
**The muzzle of the gun should be pointed at the ground, butt stock up in the air.  You'll want to slide the stock off slowly and watch for the take down pin detent spring, you dont want it launching across the room**

Now separate the lower and upper (at least pivot the upper out of the way).  Remove the buffer and spring by pressing down on the buffer detent (pin sticking straight up holding the buffer in the tube)

Now your ready to just unscrew the buffer tube by hand.  Watch to make sure the buffer detent and sprind doesnt launch across the room  Unscrew the tube slightly until you can remove the detent and spring.  

Your done and ready to install the new tube and stock.

Let me know if I left anything out, was confusing or if you already knew what I was babbling about.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

**The muzzle of the gun should be pointed at the ground, butt stock up in the air.  You'll want to slide the stock off slowly and watch for the take down pin detent spring, you dont want it launching across the room**

Thanks for the tip about muzzle down and the take down pin detent spring.  I had overlooked that one in the manuals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top