Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT
I plan on using the rifle mostly for 3 gun shooting. Should I zero my Eotech at 50 or 25? and should I set up my BUIS for something a little further say 50 or 100? Thanks for the help!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I zero both my Eotech and BUIS at 50 yards for three gun.  It works good for me from CQB to the 100 yard targets we shoot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
25yds for indoor matches and 50yds for outdoor matches.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
50 yards
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for 50 yards.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a small (1/2") black dot on a white backround at 50 yards.
Set up irons for same. You will be good to go out to @225 yds.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Zero initially at 50yds, then fine tune at 200M for a true 200M zero. Will shoot within 2.5" of sight line out to about 250yds. If you use irons (as I do) then use the Santose IBZ.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The easy answer, 25 Yards will keep you well within minute of IPSC target out to godawful ranges

<begin Tangental rant> I am going to go out on a limb here and sound like an ass doing it, but here goes...  You should know where your gun shoots at any distance up to the maximum range available to the course designers.  With iron sights, it's easy to make adjustments on the fly if required.  With E sights, you need to know that if you are shooting at a target that is xx yards away, where to aim to score the maximum points.  If you cannot consistantly score head A hits at 100 yards, from anything resembling a stable position, you need to practice more.  Your rifle is capable of that level of accuracy, are you?

...but, but, Barry I don't know the precise distances before hand...

Bullshit, learn your rifle.  

IPSC / 3 gun is easy.   Set targets at known ranges and learn their size in the reticle, so when you are presented with targets at "unknown"distances you "recognize" the distance.  Plates or obstructed targets can hinder you a bit, but when you are used to range estimation, it's not really hard to "guess".  

For Example:  Your Eotech has a 65MOA circle IIRC, which subtends to 65" at 100 yards.  That's 5'5", just shy of average human height, AND, cooincidentally, very close to the 5' at the shoulder, standard "set height" of regulation IPSC targets.  Thus if you can bracket the target, from head to ground, you are pretty close to 100 yards.  Between the dot and the edge is closer to two hundred, etc.   Those numbers are sorta made up, I do not own an Eotech, I am just using them as an example.  You should test your sight to determine what the actual distances and relationships.

It also bears saying that if you cannot shoot under stress, you cannot shoot.   The next time you go practice, bring a couple of friends along and instruct them to distract you.   Firecrackers, ice, non-bruising physical contact, loud noises, confetti, it's all fair game.  This will make yo ua better shooter.  Fred's AQT's are good also.

A good drill is:
Place a practice target at 25 yards
Load 15 rounds
Set a  timer
Upon the start place 5 shots into each of the 175M silohettes, and one into each of the 300's.
When you can do this under 20 seconds from the bench, begin standing.
When you make it back down to 20 seconds, remain standing.
When you make it back down to 20 seconds, begin having a friend load a snap cap in your magazine.
When you make it back down to 20 seconds, have your friend start trying to distract you.

IPSC will seem easy by comparison...
I dunno where I got this, but this is the practice target [print on 8x10]:
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys. Barry I get your drift, I guess I was concerning myself too much w/ one known distance rather than thinking outside the box and truely knowing my equipment at varying distances. I will take your advise w/ me to the range on my next trip!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top