Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 2:12:07 PM EDT
Now I'm aware snipers do this for cold weather zeroing, and that its probably been done a zillion times by everyone but me. What I'm wondering though is has anyone seen or heard of bad things happening from this, ie: broken extractors, cracks etc... can the extreme change in temp break stuff ??  Just for the record I'm talking about leaving your rifle in the trunk overnight in CT in the middle of February cold!  Thanks for the info in advance!!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I once had a pistol fail to feed after firing the first rounf of the day through it.

I guess the grease was frozen. The round fired fine, then as it was chambering the next one it was so slow you could almost watch it, then it just stopped.

I hit the back of the slide and it was good to go.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
just shoot it, it wont hurt it
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
never had a problem with this.  just pull the trigger and go to it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll be fine, shoot away.   You'll have more of a problem with frostbite from the buffer tube against your cheek.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Now I'm aware snipers do this for cold weather zeroing

I suspect the cold weather zero has more to do with air density and resulting bullet drop than it does with cold steel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#6]
There are not problems with cold temperatures.  Nothing will 'break'.  If you have cleaned improperly, and over lubed, or used the wrong lube, you may have malfunctions, but nothing will break...

In general cold temps provide no problems.  Just ask tens of thousands of Canadian hunters.  I know I've spend hundreds of days in duck blinds and on tree stands, in weather down to about 15 degrees, as well as hunted rabbits in February at -10 and -20, and never had a problem. None...

Rules for cold weather firearm use:

Use the right lube, and use it sparingly

Never buy cheap optics

Once its outside, it stays outside.  Do not bring your firearm inside a warm house.  Condensation is wicked..

If anything I'm more concerned about extremely hot weather.  Veyr hot temps can increase chamber pressures...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just for the record I'm talking about leaving your rifle in the trunk overnight in CT in the middle of February cold!

Thats not cold...don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If anything I'm more concerned about extremely hot weather.  Veyr hot temps can increase chamber pressures...

Umm, so can cold weather.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the feedback. I ask due in part to a broken extractor I once had on a S&W pistol. It broke 1st shot out of the bag ice cold. Im glad it seems that I dont need to be so concerned w/ the long gun..... BTW what lube is best on a cold ALASKA morning?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top