Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 3:37:15 AM EDT
My understanding is that the throat is the most vulnerable area to heat damage.  Does a heavier barrel draw enough heat away from that area to offer some protection?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a A1 14.7 HBAR Bushy

and a LMT 14.5 M4

The LMT cools off faster than the HBAR?

This is in SouthWest FLA. The barrel gets hot without shooting

I would ask your manu of your rifle?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The throat life of your rifle is more directly related to the ammunition fired from it.

Hot loads, redline loads whatever ya call your max-reloads will reduce the throat life of a barrel.

Heat dissipation has little to do with this subject.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
George -

Throat erosion is caused by heat. The faster a barrel is heated up the faster the potential for throat erosion occurs. If a barrel is subjected to firing 30 rounds in a minute it is going to get much hotter and not have time to dissipate the heta from fast firing/mad minute syndrome.

If the same barrel is fired with 30 rounds in 15 minutes time it will build up excess heat at a much slower rate, virtually nil. The potential for throat erosion is significantly reduced.

Protection from throat erosion is a function of fire discipline not barrel contour. Throat erosion will still occur when a barrel is fired at 1 round per minute but it is not accelerated as it will be when a barrel is fired at 30 rounds per minute.

Heavy profile barrels will heat up slower per unit time but they will also cool at much slower rate than a lighter profile barrel.

Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Gentlemen!  I was hoping that a heavier barrel profile would draw heat away from the throat area, allowing for less throat erosion.  Sounds like that is not the case.

So the throats in a lighter profile and a heavier profile would both suffer equally from an identical "mad minute?"
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah. Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
How about JP's finned heat sinks that you can add around the chamber end of the barrel.  Seems to address the quickly heat up cool off need for the chamber throat?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
ABS has reported significantly reduced throat errosion due to the cooling properties of their carbon fiber design.  They claim reduced barrel heat = reduced barrel errosion.  I know of no other corroborating studies on this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Devl.  Did you mean throat erosion?  Didn't know there was such a thing as barrel erosion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top