Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 8:55:07 PM EDT
I'd like to replace my 14.5" M4 barrel (with permanent FH) with an 18" barrel.

What are my options? and what do I need to mount it on my M4 receiver?

Are the gas tubes the same? what of the gas opening? gas block?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
A 18" barrel with a carbione length gas tube is an immense waste of effort. You want to run a longer mid or even rifle length tube so that you get a smoother, less violent action. The lower port pressure means the bolt unlocks a little less violently, which is good both for control and also relilability.

The rifle length tube will give you the best 'feel'.

You will however need a rifle length HG.

Simon
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like the Noveske SPR upper. But I don't have the $1K ... I can afford the barrel, so how do I build the rest myself?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you want gun to do? If you are going to be shooting surplus like XM193PD and Wolf out your gun, you will never approach the accuracy potential of a premium match grade barrel like the Noveske which will shoot 0.5MOA WITH MATCH AMMO.

If you want to max out your accuracy, you'll need a Free Float handguard. That can run from $150 for the YHM tubes to $350 for a DD or PRI.

With a rifle length gas system, you don't have to run a low-pro block. Do you want a standard FSB or are you after something else like a block mounted flip up or a railed block.

Are you equipped to build an upper? Do you have tools and equipment for the job.

Simon
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Several dealers here sell Noveske barrels and build uppers, why not let one of them do it for you?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want an 'SPR' upper, you're not gonna get much back from the grand with a Noveske barrel and brand name rail.

That's why I ask just what you want this upper for.

Simon
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#6]
CMMG has chrome lined 'SPR' barrels.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Just buy the Noveske barrel, midlength gas tube, Larue FF tube and low-pro gas block. Build it on your current upper. Cost you less than 1K.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all! I'll research the parts mentioned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top