Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 10:09:18 PM EDT
Okay my coworker has returned from Iraq.  He is with the Idaho national Guard 116th and returned home in November.  He was in the scout platoon and did us all proud.  Before he left he was married and dicovered a week before departing his wife was pregnant.  He sold his firearms in that weeks time to help defer some of the unexpected costs.  He is a great young guy and never complained but served proudly and has never asked for praise or recognition.  He is home now, back to work and enjoying his time with his family and getting on with life.  However his budget doesn't allow him to replace the firearms he sold (too Cheaply) when he left.  I purchased  DPMS heavy barrel upper on the EE last spring and gave it to him as a gift on his return.  Well its four months along and he still hasn't found the extra scratch to finish it.  Myself and some other guys at work got together and have scraped up enough to buy a stripped lower and I just bought an A2 stock off the EE.  I was wondering if anyone would be willing to donate the final remaining parts we need to finish his gun.  We need a lower parts kit, grip, and a bolt and carrier.  I know there might be skeptics as to the validity of this and I would be happy to provide any info requested right down to his cell phone #.  If I'm off base I apologize and I know there are so  many deserving but this young man has carried himself so diligently and is so humble I really think he deserves it.  He is very gracious and I would be greatful for anything anyone could do to help.  He is a big varmint hunter and that season is fast appoaching here in Southern Idaho.  We'd use anything that is safe and will work.  It is a stripped DPMS lower and a DPMS upper with a heavy barrel.  Everything we've collected so far except for the lower has been used.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for all the love there fellas.  I'm really not butt hurt over the lack of any type of response just wondering why it is so difficult for anyone to part with any spare, used parts they might have lying around.  Like I said if I was off base as to the request at least a "hey we don't do that here" would be nice.  Anyway I have come up with a good A2 stock and a grip I basically just need a lower parts kit and a bolt and carrier.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
If I had any spare parts I would certainly help you out. returned from Iraq myself last fall and know the drill. If he needs a couple spare mags (10's or 20's) and a sling or some small stuff let me know I will get some to you. I just posted a question in the general section asking what dealers give mil discounts so we will se what responses are there that might help. e-mail me at [email protected] if I can help. i can dig thru my archives for you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't mean to be rude but you posted this at 1 o'clock in the morning on a week day (workday). Most working guys wouldn't read it or be able to respond until after work that day, say 5:00 PM. So a lot of guys only got to see this post for about 2 hours before you responded with the "Thanks for the love" post. Let it ride a day or two and give people time to respond.

I appreciate your effort to help a soldier.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw it going to page three with no responses thats why I posted.  Thanks for the offer on the mags and sling.  Its a heavy barrel varmint gun so he won't be packing it long distances.  I also don't want to give the impression that we aren't trying to take care of our own first.  I personally bought the upper, my buddies have purchased the lower, stock and grip we are just tapped ourselves and soooo close.  Yea I wish we could do this for every guy who goes out.  I feel bad because there are so many deserving.  Some people say whats the big fuss he's home, hes fine why bother.  I say he was there when he was asked and did it without question.  99% of the people serving are the same way.  I just felt like this is a little something I could do to show him how me, my family, and my coworkers appreciated his sacrifice.  Thanks anyway one other thing we're needing is some HI scope rings.  The local Sportsmans warehouse is helping with a scope.  So we need rings, Lower parts kit, and a bolt and carrier and this baby is finished and he's poppin squirrels and coyotes by April.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me check what extra parts I have. I might have a Lower Spring Kit. The kit would be new from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have a full LPK (which would certainly be preferred) but I could offer some parts towards an LPK. If other guys could fill in the gaps, you'd have your LPK. I could send:

New hammer/trigger with springs and disco
A2 grip

I'll have to see what else i can scrounge. Let me know here or via IM if you want the parts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I will send a bolt carrier. I don't have an extra bolt for it though. Will the BC help? If so IM me with your address. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#8]
  Just for your info if you want to check the soldiers name is Chad Horton and he is a member of the 116th stationed here in Twin Falls Idaho.  He is a member of the scout Platoon.  This is armor but they all got washed out into motorized infantry when they were stationed in Iraq.  I'm not sure how to pull all the resources here together.  I just want to make sure we don't end up with more parts than we need so please post what you have.  We now have a semi complete upper, stripped lower, Grip, Stock, New hammer/trigger with springs and disco, bolt carrier.   Very Generous all of you.  I'm not even sure at this point what else we need.  I did find out the stock I got such a good deal on is just the plain stock.  We need screws, buffer, tube and spring.  We also need a bolt and the parts to mate it to the carrier, and a charging handle,  grip screw w/ washer, takedown pin, pivot pin, selector, selector detent, selector spring, mag catch, mag catch roll pin, mag catch spring, mag catch spring bufffer, mag catch roll pin, mag release button, mag release spring, mag release, 2 pin retaining detents w/ springs, buffer retainer, buffer retainer spring.......
If anyone can see any parts we still need please chime in.
I'll post my mailing info and please PM me with any concerns or questions so everyone is comfortable that this isn't a scam.  We already have a grip so that isn't necessary but the screw to attach it to the lower is.
Forrest Andersen
277 Jefferson
Twin Falls Id.
Update if you could what your shipping so I can keep track of whats coming.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sending the following parts:

--Hammer & trigger w/ springs
--Hammer/trigger pins
--Disco w/ spring
--Safety selector
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Feral and 1911 Builder have already shipped their parts.  I think that it says alot about everyone who has jumped into help.  I'm doing a raffle with my 4WD buddies to finish it right down to the optics.  Thanks again for all your help.    I will post a writeup on the completed gun complete with pics of the weapon and the soldier.  Thanks again for everyone who helped.
                      Forrest
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought I'd update this thread.  We did a raffle though my 4WD club and came up with 495.00 to finish this rifle.  I'll be ordering parts tomorrow.  The parts donated here allowed us to use that money towards optics and mounts.  So because of that we will be able to present chad with a complete rifle.  Thanks again and I'll post build pics when its finished.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top