Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 1:27:15 AM EDT
Dumb question, I know....

I was looking at a RRA that is supposed to have a chrome lined barrel. It didn't  really look shiny to me. How can you tell if it chrome lined or chrome molly?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I was looking at a RRA that is supposed to have a chrome lined barrel. It didn't  really look shiny to me. How can you tell if it chrome lined or chrome molly?

Usually if they chrome line the bore they'll do the chamber as well. Shine a light into the chamber. Is it a polished mirror-like surface like the bling bling chrome on car wheels/bumpers?

I noticed an easy way to do this is get a white/bright object like a Q-Tip white paper stick  and stick it into the bore or chamber while shining a light. The light reflects off the white Q-Tip showing the surface more clearly. All of my used chrome bores have mirror-liked polished surfaces when viewed in this manner. My new chrome bores (unfired) are a slightly rougher texture, like unpolished stainless steel, but still shiny and light gray / stainless steel-like.

If you simply shine a light through the bore and attempt to look at it, it will appear shiny. If you do this on the Glock barrel (not chrome lined), the Q-tip method shows how its brownish-black (parkerizing is wearing away), but with just a light, it looks shiny as-if it were polished.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Chrome-moly barrels can have shiny bores too.
dull silver color at the crown and the chamber is a sure sign. No Chrome-moly barrel will have this dull silver at the muzzle/crown and bore.

Like this:

Photo by BravoCompanyUSA.com

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dull silver color at the crown and the chamber.

Not always at the crown! My Bushmaster had excess parkerizing at the crown (makes it blackish/dark) but the bore was clearly chrome lined.

Also, not always at the chamber entrance - again, excess parkerizing can cover it up, but the chamber is large enough to show whether or not it is chromelined.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not always at the crown! My Bushmaster had excess parkerizing at the crown (makes it blackish/dark) but the bore was clearly chrome lined.

Also, not always at the chamber entrance - again, excess parkerizing can cover it up, but the chamber is large enough to show whether or not it is chromelined.

A quality job like a Colt LE or military rifle will always show this at the crown. My Colts all do. My FNMI M16 barrels all do. Even My Lithgow L1A1 barrel has it.

Bushmaster is not a good example if they parkerize over the chrome lining. Certainly not milspec.
Not trying to piss anybody off, and not saying it affects accuracy or anything else, but if it's done right you should have a ring of dull silver showing well up into the crown of the muzzle. Hell, even the Romanian semi-auto AKM clones show this.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A quality job like a Colt LE or military rifle will always show this at the crown. My Colts all do. My FNMI M16 barrels all do. Even My Lithgow L1A1 barrel has it.

Bushmaster is not a good example if they parkerize over the chrome lining. Certainly not milspec.
Not trying to piss anybody off, and not saying it affects accuracy or anything else, but if it's done right you should have a ring of dull silver showing well up into the crown of the muzzle. Hell, even the Romanian semi-auto AKM clones show this.

None of my bushmasters show the chrome ring around the muzzle. Neither does my Vepr barrel. The only barrel that I've seen personally with a chrome ring around the muzzle was the FN PS90. The parkerizing was very thin though compared to the Bushmaster.
The Q-Tip method confirms that the bores are chrome lined (dull finish = new, polished to a mirror like luster and clarity = used).

Does the TDP require the chrome ring to be visible at the muzzle and chamber? I'm not too concerned about the appearance of my Bushmaster barrels, but I never knew that all chrome lined barrels are supposed to show the chrome ring around the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of my bushmasters show the chrome ring around the muzzle. Neither does my Vepr barrel. The only barrel that I've seen personally with a chrome ring around the muzzle was the FN PS90. The parkerizing was very thin though compared to the Bushmaster.
The Q-Tip method confirms that the bores are chrome lined (dull finish = new, polished to a mirror like luster and clarity = used).

Does the TDP require the chrome ring to be visible at the muzzle and chamber? I'm not too concerned about the appearance of my Bushmaster barrels, but I never knew that all chrome lined barrels are supposed to show the chrome ring around the muzzle.

No worries. If it works you for that's great.  I have never seen that in any military barrels, and I prefer the parkerizing  not to encroach upon my chrome lining. Just personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Clean & dry the muzzle end of the bore, apply a little cold blue solution to one side with a q-tip and if it darkens it's not chrome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top