Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 3:17:51 PM EDT
Am thinking of a middy build, maybe like a Recce and would like some input on these three barrels. The 3 are Denny's Recon and Operator, and Bravo's 16" middy. The last 2 are chrome lined and the first one is S/S. Recon sounds like it might be the most accurate of the 3, but how important is the chrome lining of the other 2? Any opinions on which one and why or why not would be great. Also if there are any other good choices for a 16" middy, feel free to let me know. Not sure yet if I am going with a F marked FSB yet or not, but I am leaning toward using one. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't comment on the other 2, but I have one of Denny's recon barrels and love it.  My guess is you will be satisfied with any of those choices.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally only want chrome lined barrels. Other than that the BCM is going to cost less I think. I love GTS, and do alot of business with them but BCM is a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Am thinking of a middy build, maybe like a Recce and would like some input on these three barrels. The 3 are Denny's Recon and Operator, and Bravo's 16" middy. The last 2 are chrome lined and the first one is S/S. Recon sounds like it might be the most accurate of the 3, but how important is the chrome lining of the other 2? Any opinions on which one and why or why not would be great. Also if there are any other good choices for a 16" middy, feel free to let me know. Not sure yet if I am going with a F marked FSB yet or not, but I am leaning toward using one. Thanks

To me, I see the Recon barrel as being more of "precision rifle barrel."  The Operator (which is a Mike Rock barrel) would be a "hard use" barrel, but since this barrel is made out of a Mike Rock blank accuracy should be good, but not as good as the Recon.  The Bravo barrel would be a VERY nice GP barrel at a VERY GOOD PRICE.  

So what ya looking to build?  Tack driver? (Recon) Heavy duty? (Operator) or General Purpose? (Bravo)...But I'd hate to think of Paul's barrel as being the LAST pick, because it ain't.  Fine barrel in its own right!

Hey, look what I found in Denny's forum:  

Operator: Medium contour 4150 CMV barrel steel, chrome lined 1:7 5.56 Nato Chamber for heavy use and abuse. Base blank is from Mike Rock. Accuracy is very good.. Status: Unailable for a couple of months

Recon: Tapered contour lite-midweight SS barrel. 1:7 twist. Match grade and very accurate. Wylde chamber.

Both barrels are mid-length gas system. Both have M4 feed ramps.

The Operator will out live the Recon by double or more in barrel life but will not match it in accuracy.

Pauls [Bravo Company] barrel is made very similar to the Operator except that it is M4 light contour behing the gas block. It is also M4 ramped. The are based or ER Shaw blanks and turned at Bravo Co. Excellent barrels but hard to get. I have the 16" M4 contour Uppers in stock in carbine length gas only at this time.

Denny
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you think about the 16" middys from CMMG? They look to be about the same thing as the BC barrel, right? I was planning on trying them out for the upper and lower anyway.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
CMMG makes a great prouct. I am drooling over the 18"dissy with middy gas system.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both, Operator and BCM middy.

I built the Operator as shown, it's the one in the rear.

I just got the BCM and have not built it up yet, I just pulled the FSB and barrel off the upper in prep for a FF rail. I plan on configuring it similar to the M4 in the pic above. I am also debating on selling it and using another operator barrel instead. Maybe I'll just build both. I really like the midweight barrels better then the gov't contour.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a few BCM mid length stripped barrels out there....you could also use

Ask Denny or Grant if they have any left...not milled for the FSB..and they 'ain't got no gas blocks'

But there are plenty of other gas block choices out there...free float that sucker

imo
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Any one of the three barrels that you have mentioned will meet your needs. I really only see two options, stainless steel and chrome lined. You need to decide what it is you want, the most accurate barrel or the longest lasting barrel.

I own one of Denny's Recon barrels and absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#9]
My LMT has a Denny Recon barrel, and I love it. Balances perfect with a LaRue 12.0, sub MOA, and looks damn good.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
i love dennys recon bbl. have found no need for any other.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Noveske barrels are very nice as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]
What in the world is that in your avatar?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I am really thinking of a recce type build. I have top be honest with myself here. I am not going to be blasting 10's of thousands of rounds through this think while owning as many other rifles as I do and why would I spend $500-1000 on a top quality optic and not have the most accurate barrel I can afford. That said I am kinda leaning toward the Recon. What do you think the accuracy difference would be between the Bravo Co. barrel and the Recon using like ammo and all conditions being alike? Also, it looks like the Recons might be more plentiful out of the 3. Does my thinking have any logic behind it?   Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Since the BCM uppers are all gone... I'm back to waiting.

In my case I wanted the standard fixed "f" marked FSB. And the 1/7 twist was attractive to me as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I am really thinking of a recce type build. I have top be honest with myself here. I am not going to be blasting 10's of thousands of rounds through this think while owning as many other rifles as I do and why would I spend $500-1000 on a top quality optic and not have the most accurate barrel I can afford. That said I am kinda leaning toward the Recon. What do you think the accuracy difference would be between the Bravo Co. barrel and the Recon using like ammo and all conditions being alike? Also, it looks like the Recons might be more plentiful out of the 3. Does my thinking have any logic behind it?   Thanks

The accuracy difference between the two barrels would be anyone's guess. I only have experience with the Recon barrel.

What I have found is that my stainless barrels seem to be slightly more accurate than my chrome barrels overall, meaning with the best ammo I get .75" groups with stainless and 1" groups with chrome.

More important to me is that my stainless barrels are more accurate with a larger selection of ammo and my POI doesn't change that much. I keep a large amount of Black Hills 55gr. FMJ around for plinking, and can shoot 1" groups with my Recon barrel without trying to hard. Same thing with WWB or pretty close to 1"with AE. With a chrome barrel I have to stick with the Black Hills to get consistent groups, and the POI is alot different than with other ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top