Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 11:47:23 AM EDT
Muzzle brake

Someone sent me one of these to see if it directed sound forward. It does not. It was 0.3 dB louder at the ear than a Phantom flash hider.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
that sucks.

there are a few guys in the pistol forum that believe it is comparable to the noveske
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I know. I believe there are designs which can work but whoever developes it needs to test it during the development.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
there are a few guys in the pistol forum that believe it is comparable to the noveske

Consider the source...

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
That's interesting.  Have you tested the KFH?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I listened to it, and it really seemed to direct concussion forward - and also helped my 10.5 work better.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#6]
What kind of sound meter did you use to measure this ? I've been looking for one for a while, and would like to know what is good / works. thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a link to rsilvers testing equip.....

www.silencertests.com/2209-method.htm
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Who sent me this muzzle brake, I forgot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pistonphone calibration.

We record 10 shot averages of each silencer. First round-pop is computed as the difference between the dB SPL of the first shot and the average of the remaining 9 shots. All firearms, including semi-autos, are measured from the left. For wet cans we use one capful of water, unless otherwise specified.

Finally, these numbers are provided in both MIL-STD-1474D (which are A-weighted) and 'unweighted. Unweighted is not the same as the 'A' weighted results most manufactures publish. We believe that unweighted, while not perfect, makes more sense for measuring human perception of gun shot noise as A-weighting was created to roughly compensate for human hearing at the 40 dB SPL level, not the 120-140 dB SPL level we are interested in. For a more complete explanation please read Sound Testing Standards.

Also note that indicated dB SPL can fluctuate depending on test conditions. Don't get fixated on 0.1 or 0.5 dB differences as they are not significant.. If one silencer is within 2 dB of another, then they are nearly equal in peak sound and one should look to other characteristics to decide which unit you prefer.

Contents are Copyright 2005 by Robert Silvers and may not be reproduced without permission.

From  

www.silencertests.com/2209-method.htm

I'm confused.

Lonny

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Confused about what? You feel 0.5 dB is significant?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Confused about what? You feel 0.5 dB is significant?

Above ya say the MB tested was:

It was 0.3 dB louder at the ear than a Phantom flash hider.

But then at the link it clearly states: "Don't get fixated on 0.1 or 0.5 dB differences as they are not significant.. If one silencer is within 2 dB of another, then they are nearly equal in peak sound and one should look to other characteristics to decide which unit you prefer"

........., looks like ya poo-poo'd on your own topic....., guessing that's what he's referring to

Mike

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#12]
The point is there is no redirection of sound.  It would be nice to see some testing of the Noveske unit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Who sent me this muzzle brake, I forgot.

that was me. i'll send you a IM.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It would be nice to see some testing of the Noveske unit.

I have a feeling it is not going to happen in public.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The point is there is no redirection of sound.  It would be nice to see some testing of the Noveske unit.

With respect, I think the point is that this brake is supposed to give the functionality of a muzzle brake (reduced felt recoil, faster back on target etc.) without the usual increase in blast/noise you get from other muzzle brake designs.

You seem to have demonstrated that this muzzle brake is no more noisy than a flash hider (good). The more pertinent test might have been to compare the felt recoil and/or split times with both a regular FH and a more traditional muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#16]
He said a brake designed to direct the sound forward is not significantly different from a phantom flash hider.

Makes sense to me.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You seem to have demonstrated that this muzzle brake is no more noisy than a flash hider (good). The more pertinent test might have been to compare the felt recoil and/or split times with both a regular FH and a more traditional muzzle brake.

Ha, except it is not a working flash hider OR a working brake. It was advertised at sending sound away from the shooter. It did not even do that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#18]
A true brake like a Y-Comp will direct alot of sound back towrds the Shooter
The Miculek Directs back and toward the sides
The AK Brake mostly to the sides
I've fired a 14.5 Bushmaster w/AK Brake along with a Mini-14 18in bare bl and the Mini was louder to me
People standing alongside the shooter might differ
The Levang of KKF's Limiter are not true comps  

www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/albums/album_image/42611/31098.htm
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#19]
i don't have any decible testing equipment but i tried the levang and it seemed noticably quieter to me. i also didn't feel the concusion of the blast like i did with other attachments on an 11.5'' barrel. i'm happy with it, for the $20.00 i paid for it. sure the krink brake performs a little better but it cost alot more in size, weight and $. i think the levang is a much better value i.m.h.o.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#20]

The point is there is no redirection of sound.

Compared to what?  This is supposed to be a compensator or brake.  They're louder than plain muzzles or flash hiders, so comparing them to either of those is apples to oranges.  Try your measurements again against a mini-Y comp.    A comp that adds pretty much no noise for the shooter - .3dB - would seem to be an improvement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#21]
sound is not measured 12345 Db, every 1Db increase is a 10-fold increase in noise, much like the chemical pH scale, thus .3dB IS SIGNIFICANT (unless im completely off base, which given my lack of sleep I could very well be, someone set me straight if so.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top