Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 10:24:32 AM EDT
As some of you have seen, I picked up a surefire hand guard and was very disappointed with how it turned out. I didn’t like the fact that the rails weren’t parallel as I would like to mount an EoTech bridging the split between hand guard and upper.

My main concern is the strength and stability of the two piece free float that secures to the barrel nut. This hand guard will have at least a 9P, probably with turbo head, a tango down VFG, sling mount, half an EoTech and probably another small LED light

Between the weight of all that junk, plus the forces that will be applied between the VFG and sling, I am more than a little concerned about messing up the free float, and possibly hurting my barrel as well.

The free float looks level and continuous but I don’t have good enough pictures of the non-FF to tell if it is also level.

Any advice and opinions welcome
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, if the actual mounting clamp is attatched to the upper, it won't do shit to the FF tube.  The part of the EOTech forward of the clamp won't do anything more than just sit there.  

I haven't used the MI FF tubes, but their nonFF tubes are great.  Haven't mounted quite that much stuff on them, but I see no reason why it would not be able to handle the load.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
First off, if the actual mounting clamp is attatched to the upper, it won't do shit to the FF tube.  The part of the EOTech forward of the clamp won't do anything more than just sit there.  

+1

I had my EOTech on a RRA flat-top upper and could not "bridge" it over my Daniel Defense forend because of the locking ring.  I replaced the upper with a CMT and it works.  Turns out the RRA was a TINY bit lower than the forend.

What the hell is my point?  Well, my point is, having a rail slightly lower than your upper's rail is somewhere between completely irrelavent and a good thing, depending on your lower.  You could use full rail covers on the Surefire and the EOTech may still fit.  With ladder panels it definitely would.

If you've still got your Surefire rails, I'd suggest keeping them.  They're a heckuva lot slimmer than those MI or most other rails, which is a good thing too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
does anyone have any information on the quality of the 2pc free floats?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
does anyone have any information on the quality of the 2pc free floats?

I just installed mine.  I love them for the money ($129).    They are marked with the numbers, easy to install, and there is no play in mine whatsoever.  They locked in real nice.  Drawback is weight, they are one of the heaviest ones there are.  Have read nothing but good things about them on here minus the weight.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I talked to Troy at Midwest for quite some time

he talked me into getting the 2pc non free-float

TangoDown grip = bitch to install..

Other than that, all is well: Pics to come.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
MI 2 pc FF, with CQD VG, LaRue light mount and gladius, and a sling mount.  Absolutely no play.  Love it.  Dollar for dollar the best deal out there IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure what kind of information you're looking for, but I'm a very satisfied customer with my MI #20 FF.  It is absolutely rock solid, and appears to secure around the barrel nut very precisely and ruggedly.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top