Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 12:09:16 PM EDT
Sorry if this is a repeat of a question others have asked, I didn't see it covered though. I have a Colt AR-15 Gov't Carbine with a 16 inch barrel, A2 carry handle. I bought it in the mid 90's brand-new. I have 2 questions:
1) Would that be considered a large hole reciever. How can I tell visually the holes look close to the same size.
2) If it is what options do I have for getting a Flat-top upper for it.

Sorry for the super basic questions.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#1]
We are discussing 6520 features here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=270259

Jump in with your serial number and we should be able to give you specifics.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:41:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sorry if this is a repeat of a question others have asked, I didn't see it covered though. I have a Colt AR-15 Gov't Carbine with a 16 inch barrel, A2 carry handle. I bought it in the mid 90's brand-new. I have 2 questions:
1) Would that be considered a large hole reciever. How can I tell visually the holes look close to the same size.
2) If it is what options do I have for getting a Flat-top upper for it.

Sorry for the super basic questions.

If your pivot pin is the same size as the rear takedown pin then it's a small 0.250" dia pivot pin.

The large pivot pins are 0.312" dia.

Either size of pins you could get a flat-top upper receiver for it, there are a lot of brands that sells the small pivot size uppers and for the large pivot size Daniel Defense makes it.

The slight problem in switching your upper to a flat-top is that it is higher by about 0.032" which makes your rear iron sight that much higher.

You either have to get a taller front sight post to compensate for this or change the whole front sight base with a taller 'F' type sight.

Changing to a new front sight base is not an easy job to do because the hole pattern in your old sight and barrel have to be exactly duplicated in a new blank (no mounting holes) front sight base.

An alternate easier way is to use a two piece or set screw mounted sight or a railed gas block.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top