Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 11:30:50 AM EDT
Took my JTAC SUPPLY built SPR to the range today.

A beautiful day, fair and 69F with WSW wind at 12mph, gusting to 23 mph.  It seemed like more wind than that at the range but it was very pleasant.

The rifle, a SPR Mk12 Mod0 semi-clone upper with Krieger 1/7 barrel/Vortex FS, LMT Defender 2000 lower with KAC 2-stage trigger group, Leupold 3-9 MR/T M3 TMR scope in ARMS rings, shot very pleasantly and with flawless function.  
Recoil is minimal allowing quick follow up shots.

Using Black Hills 75grain blue box, I sighted the Scope in with 3 shots!  The Leupold was previously mounted in my LaRue Tactical LT109 QD rings and zeroed for my LMT MRP 16"/Vortex upper.  I was set up on one of the covered concrete benches with the Harris bipod.
My first shot at 25 yards was low but dead on windage.  Zeroing it in at 100 yards took 2 shots and had the bdc dial turned 10 MOA and the windage one 0.5 MOA.

I then shot a couple of 5 shots groups to verify zero, the first one about the size of a nickle, the second a dime.  I was pretty impressed with this Krieger barrel.  I'm no benchrest shooter, but this may be a benchrest barrel.
Now by this time I had shot a grand total of 13 rounds and had two of the better 5 shot groups I have ever shot from an AR platform, as good as my best from the Varminter and LMT MRP 16"SS.

So, for me, the acid test, load up an old Colt AR-15 marked 20 round magazine with the Blue Box 75 grain Heavy Match Hollowpoint and semi-rapid fire at a 100 yard target.  This means all 20 rounds in less than 30 seconds, plus it's great fun.

Very pleasing results to say the least!

Many thanks, Jason!

Edwin

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great shoots great.  Nice rifle.  Looks like a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#2]
nice group!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Wrong thread, my apology...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW!! Great blaster.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Equipment does a lot to help out with anyone's game, but still, that's incredible shooting on your part.  I am thoroughly impressed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Great group considering the time with which it was fired.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Outstanding.  I'm coveting your rifle as we speak...

Does the rear scope cover catch on the folded BUIS when you open it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
THAT ... is one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen.

Really, really nice pal.

BK
AmericanSnipers.org
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the compliments, guys, it really does shoot better than it looks, and the performance with the relatively affordable BH 75 grain ammo was superb.
At roughly 10 lbs it is a little heavy but seems to be in the sweet spot for minimizing recoil without excessive weight.

Zarathustra1, yes the rear Butler Creek does catch on the ARMS 40 when you flip it up, but I have a 40L on the way which will fix that and the 40 will go back on another rifle.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:58:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the compliments, guys, it really does shoot better than it looks, How is that possible? and the performance with the relatively affordable BH 75 grain ammo was superb.
At roughly 10 lbs it is a little heavy but seems to be in the sweet spot for minimizing recoil without excessive weight.

Zarathustra1, yes the rear Butler Creek does catch on the ARMS 40 when you flip it up, but I have a 40L on the way which will fix that and the 40 will go back on another rifle.

I'm just amazed you got all the parts to do it. You don't see those full length ARMS rails very often.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#13]
edwin that is a sweet blaster and you have photo skills as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Thant's an awesome looking rifle Edwin!

And a fantastic group!

Congratulations on such a fine build!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice shooting, and a beautifully useful rifle to boot.

Reminds me that I need to take mine out for a spin
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks great! Nice group too. Now I dont want to sell that new Kreiger I just got. Those things can shoot. Nice camera too. Is that yours or Jasons?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Edwin, I think I need to get you to test fire all my uppers, I think you're a better shot than I  The whole package looks great, thanks for the wonderful pictures and your business

Jason

Hey, get away from the computer and go back to work on my upper......

Is it done yet?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Edwin, I think I need to get you to test fire all my uppers, I think you're a better shot than I  The whole package looks great, thanks for the wonderful pictures and your business

Jason

Well Jason, I think your recent weather hasn't been too conducive to shooting, but it looks like your forecasts are getting better.

Guys, I could tell you what a great guy Jason is to deal with, his committment to excellence, quality of service, attention to details, and so forth, but the quality of this upper says it far louder than I could ever hope to.
And like I said, it shoots better than it looks!

Once again, thanks Jason!

And Victor, some great photos will be forthcoming, I promise.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#21]
+1

Jason is top drawer.  Definitely good at what he does, and easy to do business with.

Very nice rifle and a great group.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Me Likey!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:40:46 AM EDT
[#23]
That's just awful shooting!

How much do you think you have in that rifle total?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#24]
BTT for more info on how much this rig would cost to build...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
BTT for more info on how much this rig would cost to build...

Well let's see, everything including the KAC QD sling mounts, bipod, mag, Leupold optics, LMT complete lower, KAC 2-stage trigger, Krieger upgrade, SOPMOD stock, ambi mag & safety, ARMS rings & Tactical Cap, Magpuls, Hogue grip and it's (doing quick math in my head) over $3600 with everything brand new.  
Now both the upper and lower were bought complete, I don't think that LMT sells Defender 2000 lowers stripped and I saved the single stage trigger out of it (don't think they sell these separate either) and got the SOPMOD stock to replace the M4 that came on it (now on my A2), and the upper I bought complete from Jason.

Now you think that that is expensive, and you could probably save a considerable amount of money by going with a cheaper WOA barrel or even a non SPR profile 18" barrel, build your own stripped lower, an Airsoft stock (!!!), assemble your own upper with similar parts such a PRI rail and add a RRA trigger to the lower, a cheap painted carbon fiber tube,  but then you just go and add in even more than my original $3600 for just the NV scope yet to come and well,    .... ... .. . well it's a good dang thing it's a gun so you can keep anyone from taking it from you.  
And of course saving a few bucks here and their with a few budget parts really doesn't make much sense given the total package price.

Of course my "semi-clone" doesn't even have the OPS brake and collar, but use with NV equipment is a major part of this rifle's profile, and nothing beats the Vortex there except a suppressor (which isn't on the table (yet)).

But, this rifle was designed from the outset with the best parts money could buy for a AR-15 semi-automatic Mk12 Mod0  style "clone" and was 100% procured off the ar15.com Equipment Exchange from the many fine and enthusiastic dealers there.  
And that reminds me, I need to leave some positive feedback for several of these fine dealers who are supporters of this site.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I love this config. I can't wait to finally get all my parts in so I can start building my clone. Very nice work. I love it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Edwin, I'm really looking forward to seeing the rifle when you get the 760 on there as well.  
Jason

I am still trying to decide whether to go with the Magpul PRS stock I have or not.
As this is a dedicated day/night weapon, and as the SOPMOD stock goes so well with the Leupold as mounted, I almost hate to change the combination as it's now configured.
However, I suspect that when the PRS is mounted, just moving the MR/T back on the rail to get proper eye relief will work just fine.  
But I am a NTCH shooter  and only move the stock out to either of the first 2 positions when shooting with the MR/T plus I do really well with ACOGs mounted on the carry handle of A2s as the higher cheekweld doesn't bother me at all (but I do have problems with lower cheekwelds than 1.4", consistency becomes a serious issue with optics without paralax adjustment) so I may try the 760 with the LMT stock.
Any body make a cheek riser for a LMT SOPMOD stock?

Jason, your upper and Victor's D-760 is going to make a awesome combination, that's for sure!

You, Victor, Grant, Wes, Paul, Pete, Rusty, Denny, Steve, Joe, Chuck,  well we could go on forever naming all the great dealer/enthusiasts here couldn't we, all you guys advice & input & customer service & professional skills & enthusiasm & support & everything else is what makes AR15.COM such a pleasure to visit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Jason and Victor, it's looking pretty good guys!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#31]
very nice !!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:53:31 AM EDT
[#33]
That target is 20 rounds in 30 seconds? Wow - I don't think it gets much better then that!

Sweet build
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:59:57 AM EDT
[#34]
  That is awesome!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:08:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Early morning picture.
Like a rest at the end of a long night vigil.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#37]
absolutely beautiful!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#38]
The PRS would be icing on the cake, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Good lord thats nice. The group is damned impressive.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#42]
How much does that thing weight with the regular scope(Not the NV)?

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
How much does that thing weight with the regular scope(Not the NV)?

I believe it's just a tad over 10 lbs.

falaholic:  I think you're right, when I get some time off I'll put the PRS on it and it might not come back off.

new-arguy:  No I don't have a target, haven't been off to shoot it yet.  I'm like you, I decided that NV was more important to me than SBRs or FAs.   Now a suppressor, that's another matter.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Edwin, please tell me what handguard tube that is.  Is it a free-float?  Thanks, Wj
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes it's free float, it is the PRI AR-15/M16 Gen III Carbon Fiber Free Float Forearm System -  Rifle Length with the A.R.M.S.#38 SPR PEQ 2-3 SWAN Sleeve Rail.

Dog gone and dang you VICTOR (!!!), I may have to get Jason to build me a whole 'nother SPR for day use now, since I put this PRS stock on the JTAC SPR I'm contemplating making it a dedicated night weapon.

Of course I could just get used to the idea of junking my NTCH cheekweld and set the MR/T back a few notches for day use, or maybe mount the LR/T instead which does have a little greater eye relief.

Set just like this, the D-760 is supremely comfortable, has perfect eye relief, and you can lay there prone all day looking through the thing.
This stock is just the ticket for magnified NV use,
I did take your advice and cut the "iris" out of the rubber eye piece for more comfortable long term viewing ( especially for us glasses wearers, a large regular nail clipper is perfect for the job), I'll get another "tactical light control" shuttered eyepiece from you in the future for use with contacts.

The bitterest pill to swallow is that I now actually have an AR lower without a collapsible stock, but it does have an adjustable LOP which will make it perfect for my 24" Varminter also.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I wish..........
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I have no pressing need for an SPR, but DAMN, Id spend the cash to make a fun gun that looked like that beauty.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Of course my "semi-clone" doesn't even have the OPS brake and collar, but use with NV equipment is a major part of this rifle's profile, and nothing beats the Vortex there except a suppressor (which isn't on the table (yet)).

And remember, the Vortex is sound suppressor capable.   So when and if you do get a can for it, the Vortex serves as a perfect interface in addition to being the best flash suppressor on the planet.  Your weapons is simply stunning -- absolutely perfect.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top