Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 8:34:16 AM EDT
Well I got to the gun stroe yesterday and was able to look at a few things I have not seen before.

Armalite Midlength- A lot lighter than my post ban 20" hbar
Bushmaster superlight- Balanced nicely, but do not know the contour under hand guards

I have a 20" HBAR that is just too heavy.  If I have it recontoured will I notice any accuracy effects and 0-300yds.  It's a bushmaster chrome lined and will shoot 1moa when I can hold steady enough.  If contouring this barrel will effect the accuracy would I be better off going with a lighter 16" midlength?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
heavy barrels hold the zero better when the heat builds up.

heavy barrels hold the zero better when the external pressure applied to the barrel (HG or sling).

if you fee float your barrel and do cold barrel shooting all the time, you don't feel much of difference.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd get the Middy simply because they're fun...and who doesn't want a new toy?  

Seriously though, I'd get the Middy.  I love them.  They handle and balance great.  You'll add more versatility to your collection by keeping the 20" an HBAR, and adding the Middy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Bushmaster superlight- Balanced nicely, but do not know the contour under hand guards

The contour under the handguards is the same as forward of the front sight.  If you're not shooting in bullseye matches this is the barrel to get!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I have it recontoured will I notice any accuracy effects and 0-300yds.

It is impossible to say with any certainty.  Removing metal will change the way the barrel vibrates as the bullet travels down the bore (a.k.a. barrel harmonics).  Basically it will become a new barrel.  The accuracy could improve or get worse. Most likely it be about the same.  If you're just shooting factory FMJ ammo, you may not notice any difference until the barrel gets hot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I use it for general plinking/varmit shooting around the farm and have also had it out to Wyoming putting a serious dent in the P-dog population.  It works great and I don't want to mess with it, but it sure gets heavy lugging around.  It's heavier than my deer rifle.  Maybe a 16" midlength might be the ticket.  What barrels does ADDCO and CMMG use for theirs?  In case anyone knows
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm also on a budget, would it be better just to replace the barrel and sell mine, or replace the whole upper and sell mine?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Post your complete upper in the "Want to Trade" section for the upper your interested in.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I had my 20" HBAR cut to 18". It handles like a totally different rifle and may actually be more accurate.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Armalite Midlength
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Does cutting down to 18" affect the gas system operation?  What else has to be done.  I never realy looked at it, but it is a deffinate option.  I would probably have to get a flip up front sight.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top