Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 3:47:29 AM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with these uppers. I was reading about them and if what they say is true then they have solved the only weakness of the AR. Could you imagine how clean the inside of the receivers would be? This could make the AR stand up to as much neglect as the Kalshnikov rifles. I am going to do some research first but I might have to buy one of these uppers. I saw a 16" carbine upper for $850. Expensive yeah, but it might be the ticket. The only thing I did'nt like was that all of the carrier and bolt parts were chrome plated. I say bling your rims and keep the chrome in the barrel and inside the carrier.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My POF runs perfect. Zero Malfunctions. Simple piston design yet very robust.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
How long have you had it. Is it as accurate as a regulaer AR? How many rounds/malfunctions?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
My former POF upper has been hit and miss.  Runs and does not.  Our office should be getting our 416's soon and I m looking forward to them.  I had some trigger time with these about a month ago and was extremely impressed.   I have already sold my POF to a friend and still run with my stand gas impingement system.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
i have  a POF 11.5" upper. at first it went 20 rounds round before the piston siezed up in the tube. after i got it back i have put 300 through it with no malfunctions.

as for accuracy, welll lets just say i am not real impressed. i put an acog on it to see just what it was capable of. i started to sight in at 50 yards. after 6 shots the groups went from 2 inches to 8 or 9" for the next 15 rounds.

i just put it away that day. i decided to check to tightness of the barrel nut (i got the plastic HG model, not the rail monstrosity). when i put the wrench on it to lossen the barrel nut i found that it was basically just barley hand tight. i don't know if that would hurt accuracy or not but its not a good sign.

i have not sent it back since i can fix the problem myself but i have lost interest in the design. wanna buy it?

edited to say,,,, the piston was actually warped but POF claimed it had to much chrome build up. i could get the piston to move freely in the tube but only when rotated a certain way. once it moved back and forth a few times it would sieze up again.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#6]
have had my dsa z4 gtc (pof 16in carbine upper) for about a year. well over a case of federal xm193, several hundred black hills, and ultramax with no probs. the predator rail it came with combined with the gas charging hardware make for a heavy carbine though. the newer m4 style hangard models are undoubtedly lighter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I didint think that there were any issues with the POF pistons. They are extremely simple. Theres not to much to break on them.
My sons POF runs all of the time. We have never had any malfunctions with it. Its every bit as accurate as the Di guns we shoot and it seems  to be more controllable than the DI AR's.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Over 8,000 rounds no problem, have not cleaned yet, still shoots 1 to 3 inchs at 100 yards. 16.1 barrel standard flute. Rail system with surefire,Eotech. Does get heavy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if it is all up to the right kind of maintenance, or if the POFs are picky about ammo. I think I will just buy the Sig 556. That is a nice reliable gun. Nah I lied I will stick with my RRA AR. I love that gun and it just screams that I am an American and I will kick your ass.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think I will just buy the Sig 556. That is a nice reliable gun.

Who do you know (or even know of) that has tested the Sig 556?  Sure, the other Sig 55X guns are great.; I loved the one I shot.  I don't think without THOROUGH testing that anyone can claim it shares the same reliability as the rest of the series...especially considering the changes made from the rest of the 55X rifles.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I love my POF. I have a 14.5/phantom combo. Its accurate, reliable, clean, and fun. Yes, its a little front heavy, but it limits muzzle rise, so I think the trade off is fair.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Wes,  any details on how or why your friends POF went down?  

All the POF's that I know of having gone down were due to an uneven (and soft) layer of chrome of the gas piston which mushroomed out from contact with the op rod.  Mine did that after two hundred rounds.  I sent the gas piston back and got a newer production gas piston.  I've had zero problems with mine since.  I don't think we can judge a system by some early prduction malfunctions.  If that had been done with the AR15/M16 system early on, there would be no AR15.com, and very few AR15's.  

I love mine!

TS
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Well here is my take on MY P.O.F. This thing is GREAT. I wated about a year since they started to hit the market. I started my build just after new years. Since then i've shot just about every type of annmo threw this thing you can find and buy. Know remeber this was not a finished rifle. So it took a little playing around with to work some minnor bug's out of. But it has been working A-1 since the day i pulled the first 30 rounds out of it. As to date using all kinds of ammo from wolf to Rem,win. and even some handloads. I have shot atleast 6000rnds
Its not had any trouble. I knew there was some prolblems with some at first, But then again, we aren't driving model"T's" today either. Don't be affraid to buy one. There worth it.hippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#14]
The P.O.F and or the LEITNER-WISE look Very promising.

saving up my pennys  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#15]
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/toptrophy/AR-3.jpg

One thing about these P.O.F.'s are that they are HEAVY! Mine with all the toy's I've got on it are not helping the wt. prolblem. But then again its not like we all don't need a lil wt training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top