Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 6:13:22 PM EDT
I am new to the AR but I decided to polish my trigger anyway since I have done stuff like this before. I am concerned because I read somewhere that by polishing the trigger and hammer mating surfaces that you could ruin the hardening or something like that.

I just took my Dremel and a little metal polish and buff the surfaces a little bit until they got shiny. Could I have goofed anything up? The rifle shoots fine and the trigger  seems a little easier to pull.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Doubtful, you would have to get those parts pretty hot to mess anything up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
That's just what you needed to do. With a felt pad and some flitz it would take days to hurt anything.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The issue is that most of these parts are MIM parts... well, a lot of them anyway. MIM creates a hard outer surface but is pretty soft inside, the damage comes from actually taking that hardened outer surface off and exposing the soft inside (sound like I am describing Easter candy!).

Odds are that you did no damage... if you really need a nice trigger, the best bet is to invest the money in a target grade trigger. Some parts are EDMed and can be worked on without any concern, other than screwing up the geometry so bad that the gun is unsafe!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The issue is that most of these parts are MIM parts... well, a lot of them anyway.

Damn you made me look at the bushmaster hammer and trigger I'm not using, yup they r MIM.  Hope they are better than these MIM parts
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The issue is that most of these parts are MIM parts... well, a lot of them anyway.

Damn you made me look at the bushmaster hammer and trigger I'm not using, yup they r MIM.  Hope they are better than these MIM parts

That pic is GREAT!

MIM is the industry standard... has worked well up till now. EDM parts are hard to find and a damn sight more costly than MIM anyway...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea if MIM is done right it's a pretty effective method.  So many of the 1911 MIM problem parts can be traced back to changing vendors or their vendors subbing the MIM work out.

That picture cracks me up. I think George Smith of EGW made it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad the consensus is no harm done. But what do you mean by MIM and EDM?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm glad the consensus is no harm done. But what do you mean by MIM and EDM?

MIM is metal injection molding and EDM is electrical discharge machining.  look them up, the details are pretty nifty.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]
cool thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top