Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 9:21:43 AM EDT
I need a true SPR cut barrel.  I need M4 feed ramps too...any leads?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Adco has them I think or you can go right to the man at Compass Lake Engineering.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Adco, JTAC, and MSTN are the only ones that come to mind with true SPR barrel profiles. G&R might have them also, but I'm not sure about the SPR profile.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Adco, JTAC , Compass Lake or Noveske
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Try CLE, They are about the BEST in the Bis

Call and talk to Bunny or Therasa
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]
any of the above mentioned sources is a good choice... the *real deal* SPR barrel is pretty spendy and offers nothing really over the excellent choices from those listed above.

The choice to go with a mid-length gas system on the 18" is not a bad idea... RRA has had that option for a long time and Noveske offers it also, you can get a RRA barrel turned down by ADCO or others that is a good option as well.

The choice to go with the middy gas tube is based on the slightly reduced dwell time of the 18" barrel with rifle system -- we found in testing that the middy is a little long on dwell however, this is noticable with a can on... But, the lesser of two evils is probably the middy tube, depends on what you intend to do with it and where it will operate most of the time. The best answer was to relocate the gas port completely and after a few trials the Intermediate System was born: between the middy and the rifle system.

Again, any of choices already posted is great... you could do a LOT worse, let's put it that way
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I need a true SPR cut barrel.  I need M4 feed ramps too...any leads?

WE HAVE OURS DONE TO THE SAME GOV'T DRAWINGS, IN THE SAME DOUGLAS PREMIUM STAINLESS 1X7" BLANKS, AS BARNETT USED TO MAKE THE GOV'T SPR BARRELS.

OUR SHOULDER FOR THE OPS-INC BARREL COLLAR IS RIGHT WHERE IT SHOULD BE, ACORDING TO THE DRAWINGS, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE AFTER.

DIFFERENCES:

1. GENE BARNETT DID THE GOV'T SPR BARRELS. WE USE COMPASS LAKE TO TURN OURS.

2. THE REAL GOV'T BARRELS USED A PROPRIETARY A.M.U. CHAMBER. OURS USE COMPASS LAKE'S PROPRIETARY MATCH CHAMBER.

3. THE REAL GOV'T BARRELS DID NOT HAVE INDIVIDUALLY FITTED BOLTS. OURS DO.

4. THE REAL GOV'T BARRELS USE A 45 DEGREE CROWN. COMPASS LAKE DOES AN 11 DEGREE TARGET CROWN.

5. THE REAL GOV'T SPR'S HAD TO DO 3-SHOT 1.25 MOA GROUPS TO QUALIFY. THE DOZEN SPR'S WE HAD BUILT BY THE SAME GUY WHO BUILT THEM UNDER CONTRACT FOR CRANE DID A 0.91 MOA AVERAGE. OUR SPR'S HAVE TO SHOOT 5-SHOT SUB-MOA GROUPS TO PASS OUR MUSTER BEFORE WE SHIP. THEY AVERAGE ABOUT 0.75 MOA. WE DO SEE SOME FREAKS IN THE SUB HALF-MOA RANGE.

THE NOVESKE 18" SPR BARREL IS ALSO 18" IN LENGTH, BUT A IS A MID-LENGTH GAS SYSTEM, AS OPPOSED TO A RIFLE LENGTH GAS SYSTEM LIKE THE GOV'T SPR BARREL. NOVESKE USES PAC-NOR BLANKS AND HIS OWN PROPRIETARY CONTOUR, WHICH I LIKE. WE HAVE THEM IN STOCK, AS WELL. I PLAN TO DO MY NEXT PERSONAL BUILD WITH ONE OF THESE.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Are the OPS Inc. shoulders simply a 20-degree taper to fit the inside machining on the collar or is it an actual 90-degree shelf like we see behind the gas block or FSB?

Always wondered how exactly the collar secures against the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Behold...Perfection.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
IT IS A FIRST CLASS BITCH TO FIT AND NOT SCREW UP THE BARREL'S KG COATING. I DO NOT MISS DOING THAT PART OF BUILDING UPPERS AT ALL.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

Wes, I'm in process tracking down a 6.8 OPS INC 2-port for my next build from you. . Just a forewarning.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]
How is the PRI 18" 6.8mm SPR barrel?  

Between Compass Lake, Douglas, Noveske, PRI and White Oak, etc... is there really any one manufacturer's 18" 6.8mm SPR barrel that is far superior than the rest?

Ted
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI- You're talking about 2 different things here.  Some of the names you mention manufacture AND turn (contour) the barrel, but others just take a barrel blank (cut rifling, but no outer shape yet) and contour it by spinning it in a lathe and cutting the outer dimensions to fit a certain application.

Douglas is a barrel maker, they actually bore the tube and cut the rifling and do some limited conturing.  Compass Lake contours barrels from Douglas, Krieger, any barrel maker you might want.  Noveske contours Pac-Nor barrels exclusively. White Oak is also a contourer, not a barrel maker.  

Noveske Barrels, despite being called SPR, are not contoured to SPR specs.  If you want the OPS Inc barrel collar, then you have to order that specifically from Noveske. John does know the true SPR spec, but it's a special order item.

Unfortunately, "SPR" barrels are easy to find, but you'll find these are more or less just stainless steel barrels cut to 18".  They're high quality (usually), but they will are not SPR spec and will not fit the OPS Inc collar and might not fit your gas block if you have the "other" size.  This might not matter to you, but just be aware of what you're ordering.

Wes would be a good guy to get it from, he knows the difference.  Many do not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Homeinvader, thanks for the clarification.

What I am looking to get is an 18" 6.8mm SPR barrel that will use the PRI flip-up front sight, Ops Inc brake and collar (just like the SPRs we had in the arms room).  

I would like SPR spec to use the Ops Inc collar and brake and PRI flip-up front sight.

I want to use a full length PRI handguard and want to know whether to use the low pro gas block and put it under the handguard (med length gas system, I believe) or to run the gas tube into the PRI front sight (int length gas system, I believe).  I do not recall what length gas system the SPRs in the arms room had.

Who make the PRI and White Oak barrels and how is their quality/accuracy compared to Douglas?

Thanks.

Ted

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
PETE-
BEST OF LUCK. AS FAR AS I KNOW, THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN 25X MADE IN 6.8 SPC BY OPS-INC, AND WE GOT ALL OF THEM.
UNCLE SAM USES SPR-V .30 CAL BRAKES ON HIS 6.8 SPC'S.
S/F-
WES

Wes, I'm not surprised given my luck to date on another 6.8 brake. Should have just procured two  or more at the time. Do you have the SPR-V .30Cal OPS INC available? I may have to start from ground zero again, since I finally may lined up a 6.8 supressor for it  (POW).  Are they compatible, collar and position?

As to 16.5" versus 18", Wes sells both, the 16.5" is by far the best handling.IMHO The MV loss between 16" and 18" for the 6.8 is marginal with no loss in MOA accuracy. I, as Wes knows, go for the 16" platform over an 18" platform. I don't claim the 6.8 is anything but a 0 - 300M round, but I have a very good results out to 600M (115gr OTMs). I have not shot it past that range, both known and unknown distances to the target. Past the 7.62N effective range I would use a .338L or 50BMG.  Again, just IMHO.

ETA: the .416 Barrett looks like it will have a lot of promises.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I've put together a few AR uppers. Just out of curiousity...what makes the SPR so hard to put together? It looks pretty simple like any other AR.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I sent an IM to MSTN about cost on a 18" SPR barrel and never heard back.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wes (MSTN) doesn't use IM. Send and email, it works 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wes (MSTN) doesn't use IM. Send and email, it works 100% of the time.

Also when you send the e-mail you have to use CAPS.   Wes is hard of hearing from all the shooting he has done
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top