Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 10:33:19 PM EDT
Any one ever order an upper half from JT Distributing?  If so, can you please share your experience.  

They have great prices, and when I called today the lady told me their uppers are made by Fabrique Nationale.  Are those made with fordged upper receivers?  How do these compare to Bushmaster in the way of quality and accuracy?  Thanks in advance.

http://www.jtdistributing.com/
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
one of the better "kit" companies out there and the upper recievers are forged
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Eklikwhoa.
Were the upper halves as reliable and accurate as more common manufacturers?
I'm also curious about the "FN" thing, I was told they are made in the U.S.  Does that mean U.S. Repeating Arms?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
FN does not and has not ever sold top tier parts or complete rifles to anyone but military contracts.  That is straight from FN.

If they are claiming the parts came from FN and they really are FN, they will be FN quality control rejects.  

Most no name parts out there just get labeled FN as a generic term.

JT Distributing is a great company and I would trust their kits over Model One Sales or any other kit company out there.

I just think the secretary you spoke to is misinformed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The ads and sellers usually described them as FN, but I doubt they are.  There's nothing wrong with them, though.  I wouldn't put them up as high as Colt's or LMT, but they're damn good.  Several buddies have built with them.  Just check your carrier key-if you purchase one; one I saw wasn't staked.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
FN makes M16 A2's and A4's under .gov contract.  Many people claim to sell FN made parts.  I'm convinced the majority of those claims are false, or else they are selling rejects that were sold as scrap.

I wish someone had definative information on the flow of "FN government contract" parts out through various parts dealers over the years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, thanks for all the info.  
I'm new to ARs, just hopped onto the California "off list" band wagon.  I'm looking for the most affordable, premium quality equipment to build a standard A2 on one of my receivers...  Common theme, I'm sure.

I'll look into Del-Ton, and compare.  But, now I'll feel better if I decide to go with JT.  Thanks again for all help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I think we wnt through this and the claim is that their uppers are made by the same people that make FNs uppers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think we wnt through this and the claim is that their uppers are made by the same people that make FNs uppers.

FN machines their own uppers and lowers in house.  I've seen them.  At most, they might get their forgings from the same mill.

Stephen
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thats like me buying an ER Shaw barrel and claiming its a Colt.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
FN makes M16 A2's and A4's under .gov contract.  Many people claim to sell FN made parts.  I'm convinced the majority of those claims are false, or else they are selling rejects that were sold as scrap.

I wish someone had definative information on the flow of "FN government contract" parts out through various parts dealers over the years.

Some come from DRMO M16A1s.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd be wary of any company selling "FN upper" because they are obviously throwing a well known AR15 (M16) name onto a product not made by said company.  Who knows what else they mis-name.  

I'd rather deal with dealers on this board who know what they are selling.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/DSC00946.jpg

I didn't know FN ever made A1's... interesting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:04:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Many people claim to sell FN made parts.  I'm convinced the majority of those claims are false, or else they are selling rejects that were sold as scrap.

Some true FN parts do make it out to the market. How? I can't say for sure as there are a number of possible ways (some legal, some not). What I do know is the claim that the FN parts that are out there are factory rejects, scrap or whatever is complete BS. There is a member here who is an FN employee who verified they do not sell parts that do not pass inspection.

As far as J&T - I don't know why they feel the need to say shit like that but they do tend stretch the truth as much as possible. If you ask them about their LPK's, they will tell you they are "Colt". If you press them on it, they will tell you they come from the same supplier who supplies Colt. Obviously I have no way to verify those types of claims but so far I've bought 3 LPKs from them and they have all been very good kits.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, maybe they aren't rejects- but how about factory seconds or just not up to the US milspec or something?  Maybe there was a mark in the chrome lining or something along those lines?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ok, maybe they aren't rejects- but how about factory seconds or just not up to the US milspec or something?  Maybe there was a mark in the chrome lining or something along those lines?

Nope, no rejects, no seconds, no anything. It's pass or fail. If it passes, it goes to the feds, if it fails, it's trashed. Period.

Yes, all parts go to the Feds\Mil but once there, they can do what ever they want with them. One example of how this stuff can get out is... say a maintenance unit has some new FN 20" A2 barrels sitting around in their parts bin but they need some M4 barrels or KAC rails. If they don't have the budget to buy what they need, it is perfect legal for them to trade\sell the parts they have in order to buy\receive the parts they need. With the current war and the lack of parts and\or money for the stuff they need, this kind of trading is happening.

The barrel I pictured above came brand new, in a sealed factory package, with the wick was still in the bore. No way a "factory second" is going to be packaged and sold that way. The barrel was sold by Fulton Armory who I seriously doubt is going to traffic in stolen or questionable parts.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#18]
To clarify my previous comments - yes I understand there are genuine FN made parts in existence.

What I'm referring to are the bolts/bolt carriers/barrels, and even upper receivers, that are claimed to be FN even though they don't have the correct FN stampings/markings.  Of course it could just be a matter of time before some unscrupulous vendors start faking the markings.

BTW I think the contractural restriction on FN is BS.  Just another gimme to Colt IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Very good info! was told back in the late 90`s this!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I was at the SAR show and saw a pile of new-in-wrap A2 barrels from FN. They still had the wick sticks in them. I picked one up for $125.

Also, I have heard the same thing about trading/selling spares to civilians/vendors to upgrade their M16's.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but Shaw does have the only complete set of Colt tooling for the barrels outside of Colt. And they do sometimes make the barrels for Colt, when demand arises.

But I agree that a plane old ER Shaw barrel from M1S is not the same.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but Shaw does have the only complete set of Colt tooling for the barrels outside of Colt. And they do sometimes make the barrels for Colt, when demand arises.

But I agree that a plane old ER Shaw barrel from M1S is not the same.

Okay well then its like me buying a Toytoa and cliaming its a Lexus, or buying a Nissan and claiming its an Infiniti, or buying a VW and claiming its an Audi, etc etc.  Made by the same people does not equate to the same end product.  Thats my point.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/DSC00946.jpg

I didn't know FN ever made A1's... interesting.

My issued M16A1 also has an FN barrel on it.  I don't think that FN made A1's, since the rest of the rifle is Colt, but rather they had FN barrels sitting around and needed the rifles arsonal refinished to ship out to LE Depts.   Of all the rifles we got in from DRMO, it was the only one with an FN marked barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:15:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Re the FN barrel thing, FNs first government contract was for A1 barrels used as replacements.  When the A1 type was dropped, the barrels were surped out.

Under the Clinton administration, they were supposed to have been demilled, and sold as scrap, but a fair number of them appaently just went out in one piece.  More recently, we've been seeing A2 barrels from FN on the market, for the same reason.  The Army has gone to the M4 type, A2 barrels are superfluous, and are being sold off..  Apparently it hasn'r occured to the Army Ordnance people to ship them to the Marines.

I would hazard a guess that you're going to see some A2 type uppers hit the market, now that the USMC has gone to the flat top uppers on their rifles; just like there were a bunch of Colt A2 uppers around a few years back, when the Army went to the flat top.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top