Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 3:15:05 PM EDT
On my latest build I have a Sabre 16" midlength Government profile barrel I am going to have machined down to Lightweight profile. I was planning on using an MI 2-piece 4-rail handguard, but lately I have been thinking about using a Larue 9.0 instead. Just from memory I can't recall seeing many Lightweight barrel carbine uppers here that have been free-floated; I don't know it is because the relative scarcity of lights out there, or if it is considered a wasted effort. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
colt 16" HBAR turned to .70 below handguards for DD 9.0 FSP
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
hmmm...I would classify that an "SPR" profile, close enough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't free-floated my superlight because I didn't want to make it any heavier.  I know a couple ounces is nothing, but just this one AR, I'm trying to get it just as absolutely light as I possibly can (and still have an optic).

Every other AR I have is free-floated.  That includes gubment, fluted, medium, and heavy profiles in both AR15 and AR10.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Educate me here guys... I have a COLT medium weight barrel like the ones used on the late model M4's... Id like to vote so what is my category?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't vote because mine is a midweight, midlength, Denny's Guns Operator 16" barrel with a LaRue 9.0 FF tube.

If I ever do a LW project in the future I'll probably use either a DD or LT 7.0 FF tube.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
free float them all--it,s a must
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#7]
isn't  a DD ff rail actually lighter than an M4 barrel nut and handguard? Thats a consideration when saving every ounce....

But on second thought, with rail covers, you may be an ounce or two heavier... crap!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Educate me here guys... I have a COLT medium weight barrel like the ones used on the late model M4's... Id like to vote so what is my category?

medium weight = SPR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top