Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 8:55:05 PM EDT
PLEASE don't just write Larue, DD or Samson.  

Please tell me which you would get and why.  

Price is no option, all I raally care about is weight.   I don't mind 12.000004 ounces in stead of 12.00003, but don't want it to weigh a 'ton'.  I'm putting a bipod on the end, and would like to installl it direct to the ff tube without a picatiny adaptor if possible.  That's pretty much it, but I do want rails in case I change my mind and since I really like the way rail covers feel.

I'm assuming you'll pick from the reputable guys, basically: MI, Samson, Troy, DD , Larue, PRI, ARMS, Vltor, etc.....

I've read the threads and the tacked threads and I'm looking for insights like "even though X weigns more I like it cause of this" or "I don't like the gap between my upper and the top rail becuase of this", etc....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue.  If you were to want Pic rails.  Solid system of lockup, stury rail with excellent machining and an overall light weigh.  Otherwise, I'd get a PRI of Clark carbon fiber system and rig the bipod on somehow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Larue.  If you were to want Pic rails.  Solid system of lockup, stury rail with excellent machining and an overall light weigh.  Otherwise, I'd get a PRI of Clark carbon fiber system and rig the bipod on somehow.

+1
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
PLEASE don't just write Larue, DD or Samson.  

Please tell me which you would get and why.  

Price is no option, all I raally care about is weight.   I don't mind 12.000004 ounces in stead of 12.00003, but don't want it to weigh a 'ton'.  I'm putting a bipod on the end, and would like to installl it direct to the ff tube without a picatiny adaptor if possible.  That's pretty much it, but I do want rails in case I change my mind and since I really like the way rail covers feel.

I'm assuming you'll pick from the reputable guys, basically: MI, Samson, Troy, DD , Larue, PRI, ARMS, Vltor, etc.....

I've read the threads and the tacked threads and I'm looking for insights like "even though X weigns more I like it cause of this" or "I don't like the gap between my upper and the top rail becuase of this", etc....

I'll hit this thread up once I get some hands on with the new DD and VLTOR. At current, I'm digging the LaRue though... I'll add details later.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:34:02 AM EDT
[#4]
i like the larue's locking feature and the fact its made in Texas

oh, and the armadillos are the shizznit!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned *at least two* free floated rail systems from (KAC, DD, and LaRue).  I have also owned several other rail systems on the market.

I have 7 AR's that have rail systems on them......ALL OF THEM NOW WEAR LARUE RAIL SYSTEMS

-LaRue is the only rail system that starts it's life as a billet of aircraft aluminum (no welding)

-LaRue is the only rail system to have an anti-roll device (I had a Daniel Defense rail system that was installed at the factory shoot loose, I'm sold on an anti-roll device)

-All 4 rails on the LaRue are 1913 spec.

-LaRue rail system is CHEAPER than the competition.......Tell me when in modern day America do you get a better product at a cheaper price.

In my eye's it's a no brainer........At great expense to myself, I changed ALL my rail systems over to LaRue Rail Systems (for a reason).

I had 2 of my Daniel Defense rails loosen on me and one of them was installed at the factory.  The anti-roll system on the LaRue is worth it's weight in gold.

Go LaRue and NEVER look back.......You'll thank me later
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
A Larue 12.0, the best rifle length FF tube made.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:39:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm taking a KAC FF rail system off of my 20" AR and replacing it with a PRI rifle length tube. Why? Because I don't need about 95% of the rails. I'm going to have (3) 3" rails installed on it. One for the sling mount, one for the bipod QD mount (that may not stay on) and one for a VFG (which may also no stay on.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:43:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm taking a KAC FF rail system off of my 20" AR and replacing it with a PRI rifle length tube. Why? Because I don't need about 95% of the rails. I'm going to have (3) 3" rails installed on it. One for the sling mount, one for the bipod QD mount (that may not stay on) and one for a VFG (which may also no stay on.

I hear that.  But I'm big on rail panels.  one grip for all my rifles type thing.

So Army chooses DD but arfkom doesn't?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:15:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have owned *at least two* free floated rail systems from (KAC, DD, and LaRue).  I have also owned several other rail systems on the market.

I have 7 AR's that have rail systems on them......ALL OF THEM NOW WEAR LARUE RAIL SYSTEMS

-LaRue is the only rail system that starts it's life as a billet of aircraft aluminum (no welding)

-LaRue is the only rail system to have an anti-roll device (I had a Daniel Defense rail system that was installed at the factory shoot loose, I'm sold on an anti-roll device)

-All 4 rails on the LaRue are 1913 spec.

-LaRue rail system is CHEAPER than the competition.......Tell me when in modern day America do you get a better product at a cheaper price.

In my eye's it's a no brainer........At great expense to myself, I changed ALL my rail systems over to LaRue Rail Systems (for a reason).

I had 2 of my Daniel Defense rails loosen on me and one of them was installed at the factory.  The anti-roll system on the LaRue is worth it's weight in gold.

Go LaRue and NEVER look back.......You'll thank me later

Jeff pretty much said everything that needed to be said!

I have a KAC MRE rail on my other carbine and it also came loose after a while.  It was around 6000 rounds and I just put some loc-tite on it and tightened it again but this is something I'll have to keep an eye on, not so with my LaRue 9.0...

So I'll add another vote for the LaRue for the reasons stated above.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear that.  But I'm big on rail panels.  one grip for all my rifles type thing.

I can see your point but I may eventually change the Larue rail on my mid length to a PRI as well. I'm not completely sold on VFGs (just my preference) except on a carbine. That means I hold the handguard in the tradtional manner. Also, if I'm not using the rails, they're just unneeded weight.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess I'll be the lone voice for DD.

You said weight was most important to you. The weight difference between the DD and LaRue is significant IMO (assuming you get the DD with the Aluminum Barrel nut). I also like the width of the DD better then the LaRue. The DD rail is an oval shape that matches the profile of the Colt M4 hand-guards very well.

I agree that the LaRue is a little nicer and their locking plate is sweet but for a gun I was going to hump around, I would rather have the lighter weight and slimmer profile of the DD.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll be replacing my Samson rifle length rails with the LaRue.

I have a LaRue 9.0 now and the features I like most are the anti-spin device and it's lighter than Samson rails.

The LaRue anti-spin device locks the ring and the barrel nut together with the tube.

Also the anti-spin device have tabs that contacts the sides of the upper receiver to prevent it from spinning.

LaRue also has military contracts.

I'm a LaRue convert now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not trying to start any ignorant arguements, but in my untested opinion, if I were installing a rifle length FF tube I'd pick the ARMS SIR over the LaRue for two reasons;

The first is purely preference, but I've read LaRue FF tubes (among others) are glued together.  The barrel nut mates to the rail system via an industrial strength epoxy.  Yes, I know it's strong enough for anything planet Earth has to dish out. I guess I'm just a snob when it comes to aluminum and adhesives.

The second reason is that I've read a free float tube extending from the barrel nut places unnecessary torque on the barrel nut which theoretically misaligns the bolt head with the barrel extension.  Maybe it's significant, maybe it's not, but I'd rather dismiss the entire arguement by using the ARMS system which bypasses this attachment method for the alternate method of the upper rail cantilever system.

Just my $0.02.  My 20" Hbar will be receiving an ARMS #59M in the near future.

Good luck,
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm not trying to start any ignorant arguements, but in my untested opinion, if I were installing a rifle length FF tube I'd pick the ARMS SIR over the LaRue for two reasons;

The first is purely preference, but I've read LaRue FF tubes (among others) are glued together.  The barrel nut mates to the rail system via an industrial strength epoxy.  Yes, I know it's strong enough for anything planet Earth has to dish out. I guess I'm just a snob when it comes to aluminum and adhesives.

The second reason is that I've read a free float tube extending from the barrel nut places unnecessary torque on the barrel nut which theoretically misaligns the bolt head with the barrel extension.  Maybe it's significant, maybe it's not, but I'd rather dismiss the entire arguement by using the ARMS system which bypasses this attachment method for the alternate method of the upper rail cantilever system.

Good luck,

The Arms SIR is like putting a turtle shell on a race car,  it does not belong on a precision ar.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:I'm not trying to start any ignorant arguements

Quoted:The Arms SIR is like putting a turtle shell on a race car,  it does not belong on a precision ar.
I don't think DonD read that part of glock24's post because that's a pretty inflammatory story.

Quoted:but in my untested opinion, if I were installing a rifle length FF tube I'd pick the ARMS SIR over the LaRue for two reasons;
Let us know after you get the ARMS installed and have used it for a while. It's going to make your HBAR incredibly heavy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#16]
LaRue

1.  Unique locking system.  Keeps rail from ever coming loose, spinning under force, and keeps pressure off gas tube in the unlikely impossible event the barrel nut should ever come loose.

2.  Spec rails.  Thinner profile, which feel better in the hands than many other system.

3.  Light.  Solid.

4.  Quality fit and finish.

5.  Steel barrel nut.

6.  Made in Texas, by a guy who really supports our troops, and is always changing his products to make them better, based on real feedback from real shooters.

In my opinion, at this time, there is no better rail system, ESPECIALLY for the price.  

This isn't kool-aid.  It's a better product.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Don't fly. No really. Don't. Sometime in the 1970s they started gluing planes together.

A valid point, however in practice it seems to be no great problem.

Good luck,

Make sure you use the supplied loc-tite (glue!) on the screws, or your SIR will come loose within the first 1,000 rounds. Hit the gym too, that pig is heavy. BTDT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top