Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 6:57:00 PM EDT
I searched the forum, and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so its time to post. I should have the $ for my upper next month (CMMG 16" Lightweight A2), and I want a KISS Carbine. The only extra thing I would like on the carbine is a VFG. I was looking at Tango Down, and GG&G VFGs. The only thing is I don't want to get a whole rail system. Is there a rail system that can be used with standard handguards? If so who makes the "best" and exactly how durable are they compared to a whole rail system?

Also which would be considered better for a VFG? GG&G or TD?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The Tango Down is by far the better unit for strength.  However it requires the rail be truely in spec.  It's other advantage is it works with rails with the center milled out (like YHM's).

THe GG&G is a copy of the KAC - nice, simple, and a bit lighter, but requires solid rails for optimal stability on the rail

As for adding a VFG to a standard hanguard.  I recommend AGAINST the 'add on' rails for use with VFGs - unless all your using the VFG for is to pose for photos and shooting off the bench.

One simple option is to use a First Samco/FOBUS M33 hanguard with the rail molded in.  Just use the lower handguard with your standard upper handguard.  You can sell the other or use it on a 2nd carbine.  The molded in rail is much stronger than any bolt on.  The only issue with the M33 is that it's rail isn't the right height for the Tango Down, and it has the slot in the middle making it less than optimal for the GG&G. A bit of sanding will get the Tango Down to work with the M33, or crank down really hard with the GG&G.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Forest,

Is there a VFG that would work well with the M33? The only thing I don't care for are the "pistol grip" VFGs..... they just don't feel quite as natural.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the FOBUS VFG works well with the M33 - but it is kinda pistol gripish IMHO.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top