Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 3:14:38 PM EDT
Want to change rigs,selling off my SSG 308 for new sniper rifle and not sure if i should consider semi 6.8 at this time or stay with a bolt gun for  sniper matches without manual catagory.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Want to change rigs,selling off my SSG 308 for new sniper rifle and not sure if i should consider semi 6.8 at this time or stay with a bolt gun for  sniper matches without manual catagory.

The 6.8 was designed and supposed to be a SBR cartridge. It would be one of my last choices for a "sniper" round.   If you dont want a .308, and you want a fancy cartridge, the 6.5G is an excelent choice.

+ your match gun should be the same as your duty gun, pratice with what you *have* to use.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
What range?

I have shot the 6.8 out to 300 yards, and the accuracy was decent with 110 Vmax. The factory load is crap for any precision work.

Are you talking about the Remington bolt gun? Because I still think it's a waste of time for that sort of rifle with a round that was designed with the limitation of the AR15 Magazine OAL to be used for anything other than the AR15 rifle platform.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The 6.8 was designed and supposed to be a SBR cartridge. It would be one of my last choices for a "sniper" round.   If you dont want a .308, and you want a fancy cartridge, the 6.5G is an excelent choice.

I have no clue why people make such a difference of two rounds that are so similar.  True one has an advantage up close and the expansion ratio makes it more efficient powder wise and the other has an advantage 300 or so yards down range.  The 6.5 Grendel isn't exactly a flat shooting round when you get into those uber BC bullets that everybody seems to love.  What I'm getting at is both the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel have more in common than people seem to recognize.  The biggest advantage the biggest advantage the 6.5 has over the 270 IMO is bullet selection (and that's important).  

Now to the original question if you really want an autoloader thats flat shooting and you have a thing for the intermediate calibers  build an AR-10 upper in 260 Remington, now that will put the 6.5 Grendel in perspective .  And just think you don't have to mess with a wildcat to do so
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I have no clue why people make such a difference of two rounds that are so similar.  

One of the 2 requires 45-50 MOA's to get to 1k yards, while alot of the loads for the other will allow it to get to the 1k at 35 to 40 MOA's.  Which is pretty damned flat to me also close to the same drop as a 55grn 5.56 which most people considers pretty flat. While the 260 Rem is a great round, it wont fit in to the AR15 magazine.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#6]
NACIH. That's short for Not A Chance In Hell.

Why take a round specifically built to hot-rod the AR platform and waste a bolt gun?  It's like those guys who build huge-ass Remington 700 Police Model rigs in 5.56mm. WHY?

You'd have a hard time outdoing your SSG unless you want to jump up to a .300 WinMag, a .338 Lapua, or a .408 CheyTac.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The guy asked about this as a *sniper*... a Sniper is not a rifle, in fact the correct terminology is "Sniper's Rifle", a sniper is the person behind the gun, whos job is to kill other people for noble causes...

While I agree that the 260 Rem is a great round (in fact, for years people would say "I wish they would neck the 308 down to 6.5", but when it happened, few even noticed) it is important to realize that we can not pick what we use all willy-nilly, cool-on-arfcom-soup-of-the-day standard.

I know that more and more agencies are approving the 6.8SPC and I have a couple of request to build 6.5G, which is good... I would guess from his post that the agency he works for has approved the 6.8SPC, as that is what he is asking about?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The guy asked about this as a *sniper*... a Sniper is not a rifle, in fact the correct terminology is "Sniper's Rifle", a sniper is the person behind the gun, whos job is to kill other people for noble causes...

While I agree that the 260 Rem is a great round (in fact, for years people would say "I wish they would neck the 308 down to 6.5" WEll your wish was almost granted by Lapua with their new 6.5x47, but when it happened, few even noticed) it is important to realize that we can not pick what we use all willy-nilly, cool-on-arfcom-soup-of-the-day standard.

I know that more and more agencies are approving the 6.8SPC and I have a couple of request to build 6.5G, which is good... I would guess from his post that the agency he works for has approved the 6.8SPC, as that is what he is asking about?

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While I agree that the 260 Rem is a great round (in fact, for years people would say "I wish they would neck the 308 down to 6.5" WEll your wish was almost granted by Lapua with their new 6.5x47

I guess I miss the point to that? The 260 Rem *is* the 308 necked down to 6.5 -- I guess it really snuck under the radar... here is the 6.5X55 Swede that fits in a short action and I can count the number of people I know that own one on one hand.

But then, the number of folks that own an AR in 6X45 is even smaller... but try to get someone that owns a 6X45 AR to give it up!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
My advice of the original question would be to stick with what you got.

Well I'm guilty of mentally tunning out anything over say 350 yards on an AR-15 platform so that's my perspective when I say they have more in common than people seem to recognize.  

Now if you go to a bolt gun and you really like playing with wildcats why not go hog wild and get you a 6.5 x 284  Hell you can even get your own chamber reamer if you go that route .

Gunzilla
it is important to realize that we can not pick what we use all willy-nilly, cool-on-arfcom-soup-of-the-day standard.

Well that pretty much precludes the 6.5 Grendel, it is after all a wildcat unless it has been standardized very recently. I do know that when Wolf releases ammo for the 6.5G that they are going to require the cartridge to be standardized with the European equivalent of SAMMI.  But I'll believe it when I see it, June/July should be interesting.

Bigant the 260 rem is a 308 lengthened a bit and necked down to .264.  It's been standardized since 1997 IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My advice of the original question would be to stick with what you got.

Well I'm guilty of mentally tunning out anything over say 350 yards on an AR-15 platform so that's my perspective when I say they have more in common than people seem to recognize.  

Now if you go to a bolt gun and you really like playing with wildcats why not go hog wild and get you a 6.5 x 284  Hell you can even get your own chamber reamer if you go that route .

Gunzilla
it is important to realize that we can not pick what we use all willy-nilly, cool-on-arfcom-soup-of-the-day standard.

Well that pretty much precludes the 6.5 Grendel, it is after all a wildcat unless it has been standardized very recently. I do know that when Wolf releases ammo for the 6.5G that they are going to require the cartridge to be standardized with the European equivalent of SAMMI.  But I'll believe it when I see it, June/July should be interesting.

Bigant the 260 rem is a 308 lengthened a bit and necked down to .264.  It's been standardized since 1997 IIRC.

6.5X284 is an outstanding round... another one of those "best kept secret rounds" -- in spite of winning an ass load of matches over the last couple of decades, a lot of folks have never even seen one. I would love to have the backing to bring about a half dozen rounds out commercially, it seems that there are are some really good choices being over looked

Oh, people have been kicking around the 6.5X39 and 6.5X39IMP for some time now... I think the big interest in the last few years is that the writing is on the wall and it will be standardized here shortly...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
.338 Rem ultra mag.  

That's the way to go.  ABS barrel it and put an Armalite brake or sound suppressor on it.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
6.5X284 is an outstanding round... another one of those "best kept secret rounds" -- in spite of winning an ass load of matches over the last couple of decades, a lot of folks have never even seen one. I would love to have the backing to bring about a half dozen rounds out commercially, it seems that there are are some really good choices being over looked

You have to see the trace through a spotting scope of a 6.5x284 on its way to a 1000yd target. Its amazing.  FLAT. Wind - what takes 12 minutes for 175gr .308, will be around 5 minutes on a 6.5x284.

A great cartridge, if you dont mind replacing your barrel ever 1600-1800rds.

Ahhh hell, what a new barrel every 2K? Don't foget to set it back at least once anyway.

When are you midwest guys going to drop those short ranges and start building some two-mile guns

ETA: I see a new t-shirt on ADCO's website... "What color are your glasses?"

btw, I wear whatever glasses one of my guys left laying around... in the little storage box in the vehicle is great
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I am rather new to reloading and odd calibers, but isn't the 6.8 a .270?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

yes... it is french for 270
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sorry for the confusion you got it right.  I guess I'm just to 'merican before you know it I'll be calling the 6.5 Grendel a 264 buggie bear
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the confusion you got it right.  I guess I'm just to 'merican before you know it I'll be calling the 6.5 Grendel a 264 buggie bear

I have a .264 Win Mag.  Great round.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#19]
there is a lot in a name really... how about if Jeff C. would have named it the 400 Magnum?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a lot to a name no doubt.  I'm really of the opinion that the 6.8 SPC should have been named the 270 SPC, it would just be better accepted with the non tacticool US shooters IMO.  Gunzilla are you talking about the 40 Super which later was known as the 10mm?  It would have still hurt the G-men's hands.  Now if they would have only adopted the 40 G&A I wouldn't have to change the primer system as much on my XL650.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There is a lot to a name no doubt.  I'm really of the opinion that the 6.8 SPC should have been named the 270 SPC, it would just be better accepted with the non tacticool US shooters IMO.  Gunzilla are you talking about the 40 Super which later was known as the 10mm?  It would have still hurt the G-men's hands.  Now if they would have only adopted the 40 G&A I wouldn't have to change the primer system as much on my XL650.

Yes.. talking about the 10mm... you may want to check, but the 40 Super is a 45 Super necked down -- the linage to the 10mm Auto did include the 40 G&A and the Centimeter, perhaps you are thinking of the Super Cooper? His work that would become the 9X23?

BTW, the 10mm never hurt my hand -- but the 10mm Lite laid the way for the 40S&W, not a bad return on an idea imho?

I have heard that some people, not saying in Remmy, wished the round was called the 270 Woodsman or something to that effect... if it was, I bet dollar to donuts that Ruger would have a mini-woodsman out by hunting season this fall.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yes.. talking about the 10mm... you may want to check, but the 40 Super is a 45 Super necked down -- the linage to the 10mm Auto did include the 40 G&A and the Centimeter, perhaps you are thinking of the Super Cooper? His work that would become the 9X23?

After he quit messing with the 40G&A he moved on to a longer version that he initially called the 40 super untill he got hooked up with Thomas Dornaus and Michael Dixon and when it was renamed the 10mm.  I'm guessing the 10mm name came about from Norma.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

After he quit messing with the 40G&A he moved on to a longer version that he initially called the 40 super untill he got hooked up with Thomas Dornaus and Michael Dixon and when it was renamed the 10mm.  I'm guessing the 10mm name came about from Norma.

Cool... thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#24]
What the hell is a 6.5x284? Is 284 the case length? If so, did it start as a 40mm antiaircraft case? The reason I ask is case length on a .50BMG is only 99mm...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Naw the 284 Winchester could be considered the original short magnum, it was released in the early sixties by Winchester to fit the model 88 lever gun and model 100 semi-auto rifle.  The case has a bigger body than a 30'06 class case but the same size rim, it's probably the first rebated rim cartage.  The length of the cartridge is shorter so it will fit into a short action but with the larger diameter body and it's sharp shoulder angle it's case capacity is almost identical to a 280 Remington.  The funny thing about the 284 Winchester is that the wildcats based on this case are more popular than the parent cartridge.  

A 6.5x284 is just the 284win necked to .264

ETA .284 or 280 is American for 7mm
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes... it is french for 270

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks, I got confused when the second number wasn't the case length, like with the 7.62x54R Russian round.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks, I got confused when the second number wasn't the case length, like with the 7.62x54R Russian round.

It's usually written 6.5-284 since it's not 6.5 by 284.   *shrug*  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's usually written 6.5-284 since it's not 6.5 by 284.   *shrug*  

yep... I screwed the pooch on that one...

6.5-284
6.5/284

those do make it easier... sorry for the confusion
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What the hell is a 6.5x284? .

As others have stated, it's a great round (although I don't have one).  In some circles, it's affectionately known as the "fag mag".

R
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Just out of curiosity...why in the world would you want to leave the .308 behind?  If you have to...I'd look very seriously at the 270WSM in a bolt rifle...for a sniper rifle, that is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#33]
If your serious about accuracy and range, you need to be looking at the 25wssm, not the 6.8 or 6.5.

Gos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top