Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 7:20:37 PM EDT
Okay, I have a Bushmaster V-match upper, Stag lower, Ace M4 Socom stock.  The buffer and spring are used.  I keep hearing about H1, H2, H3 buffers.   I saw that they are just weight designations getting heavier as the number goes up, involving varying tungsten/steel.   What is the point if the same calibur is used?  With what/when should I replace the buffer? Now it has slight marring around the front edge that contacts the retainer. I don't need any fancy mechanical buffers, just something that works.  And yes, I tried to search for something, but all I found were specifics, nothing basic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
H1, H2 ect just means the weight of the buffer.  Your buffer is the lightest, H1 being heavier and so on.   The heavier the buffer the slower the rate of fire (which doesn't really matter for semi's) and the heavier gives you less felt recoil.  If you AR is running good you really do not need to upgrade but if you do it most likely won't hurt it either.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
H, H2 and H3 are heavier buffers with weight increasing with each number.   In my very limited experience I can't really tell the difference in a standard carbine buffer and an H buffer.  I run a 9mm and an Enidine buffer.  These give the advantage of less muzzle climb and quicker follow up shots...

TS
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm...I see. So what kind of lifespan are we talking here?  Or do I just replace when it starts looking like crap?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hmm...I see. So what kind of lifespan are we talking here?  Or do I just replace when it starts looking like crap?

You should have to replace the spring several times before you actually have to change the buffer, if ever.  Unless you have bad scratches, etc on your bolt carrier...

TS
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice. Thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top