Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 3:24:10 PM EDT
hi

i am thinking about buying a ar-15 for the first time . i have to in mind ? the rock river arms car a4 with Quad Rail Handguard & 6-Position CAR Stock and the bushmaster 16"Modular Carbine .
so what do you people thinks is better to go with.

ps} i am looking for good workmanship,  Reliability, Durability and  Accuracy.

thanks

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
looks pretty close huh
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You cant go wrong with either one. I have both so my advice to you is to buy both and see which one you like better and then give me the one you dont like.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I own one of each of the two; I like my bushy - but love my RRA! For the cost and the "out of the box" satisfaction - RRA all the way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
For fit, finish, and $$$ I went with RRA. I have had no trouble with any of  the 3 I own.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You cant go wrong with either one. I have both so my advice to you is to buy both and see which one you like better and then give me the one you dont like.

+1

I own both and are equally impressed with both, but from here on out I will be using RRA only as I'm still a little red assed over Bushy dropping the .308, thats another story though...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've owned both Bushmaster and RRA.  I like the overall fit and finish of the RRA better.  The Bushy uppers I've owned in the past just seemed a little crude.  I liked the Bushy lower I had at one time for a space gun.  Bushy is also a little closer to Mil-Spec than RRA if that is important to you.  Virtually any repalcement part will fit an RRA so that is not important to me.

RRA is a good bit cheaper and offers a host of mods to build it the way you like it.  RRA also offers midlength configurations if you want to go that route.  Bushy does not.  I would gladly own either firearm, but if I had to choose one I would go with RRA, which I did this time around. Just an opinion from a real user of both.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one of each but my RRA has a bushmaster barrel in it.
You can't go wrong with either.  Just pick one that you like and get it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked at both and liked the fit and finish of the RRA better.  The Bushy's trigger pull was gritty while the RRA's was very nice.  Then I found out that the Bushy doesn't come in a mid-length so it was easy and soon thereafter my RRA Elite CAR A4 w/chrome lined barrel followed me home.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
i have both. RRA is a better deal. you will be pleased
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]
If you go with RRA, get a chrome lined barrel.

TS
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
have both and dont buy rra as much anymore.

rather have rifle feedramps then dremel jobs and the parts on the bushmaster has more attention to detail.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#12]
How can so many people vote for Rock River Arms when they dremmel in their "M4 feed cuts"?  That is poor quality manufacturing if I ever saw it.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had both.  Both are equally fine weapons function-wise.  That being said, the RRA I have just seems to be a tick better fit-and-finish wise.  

Woody
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
have both and dont buy rra as much anymore.

rather have rifle feedramps then dremel jobs and the parts on the bushmaster has more attention to detail.

+1

IMO, Bushmaster has a more acceptable receiver fit and finish along with better grade 4150 steel barrels. Another plus is that on request you can get a barrel with 1:7" twist ratio...

Personally I will never buy another RRA product again... Ive found no use for their hack job extended feedramps, 4140 steel barrels and receivers that have such a tight fit (which makes it impossible to field strip your weapon)... I've decided to no longer consider RRA as being an option in any of my future purchases and builds.

ETA: I only bought RRA in the first place because of all the hype over their DEA contract... It wasn't until after I was suckered in that I realized they weren't all that...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#15]
had a Bushy post ban flatop. wish i had held on to it. fed like a champ as long as pmc and umc were out of it's diet. could not knock the quality.

currently i have a DSA lower that spends most of the time with a dpms 6.8 upper. DSA lower seems on par with Bushy in tearms of quality/finish.

hmmm... i have a 7in RRA .223 "pistol" upper on order.

tried to search for the feed ramp issue, no results.
their M4 feed ramp profiling sucks?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#16]
if the rock river rifle has extended feedramps most likely they are dremelled/hack jobs

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
if the rock river rifle has extended feedramps most likely they are dremelled/hack jobs

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
RRA ROCKS!!!

Just received a new RRA custom Mid- Length A4 I've waited for for 4 weeks. It has a Wilson 16" 1/8 twist stainless barrel, railed gas block, Alum. FF tube, and 2 stage match trigger. Fit and finish is as PERFECT as it gets--easily the nicest AR I've ever owned!!!!

Give RRA a shot and you WILL NOT BE dissapointed!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you go with RRA, get a chrome lined barrel.

TS

+1

I'll stick with BM, LMT & Colt if I had to bet my life on it
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shameful indeed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep, those feed canyons do get ur done! Bushmaster Rocks! Westaward Ho! The wagons!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Stag +1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's amazing how popular RRA has gotten.  A year ago, this poll would be totally in favor of BM.  In any regard, they are both fine weapons.  The dremel thing is taken way out of proportion.

I guess that's a good opinion if your selling them, but if your buying them, not so good...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:24:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Get both:

1). RRA upper, lower, parts, bolt carrier group, stock, etc...
2). Bushmaster barrel and handguards (if you don't want a FFHG/quad-rail setup)

RRA has Wilson barrels, which come in any contour you want, so long as it is heavy-barreled. This is fine for a long range sniper, but if you want a patrol/SHTF/zombie rifle, you may want a Superlight or a 16" M4, which RRA does not carry.

Bushmaster, OTOH, carries anything from 11.5" to 24" in a variety of contours. It is made out of 4150 steel, with chrome lined bores and chambers (non-SS), 1/9 twist. I evaluated the need for 1/7 twist and found that I don't need it. BM states that their 1/9 twist barrels can stabilize up to 73 grain bullets and up to 75 grain for 20"-24" lengths. If you absolutely MUST shoot 77 grain bullets or heavier, and need to stabilize the tracer, go with a 1/7 twist barrel.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

RRA has Wilson barrels, which come in any contour you want, so long as it is heavy-barreled. This is fine for a long range sniper, but if you want a patrol/SHTF/zombie rifle, you may want a Superlight or a 16" M4, which RRA does not carry.

Bushmaster, OTOH, carries anything from 11.5" to 24" in a variety of contours. It is made out of 4150 steel, with chrome lined bores and chambers (non-SS), 1/9 twist. I evaluated the need for 1/7 twist and found that I don't need it. BM states that their 1/9 twist barrels can stabilize up to 73 grain bullets and up to 75 grain for 20"-24" lengths. If you absolutely MUST shoot 77 grain bullets or heavier, and need to stabilize the tracer, go with a 1/7 twist barrel.

The above hit the nail on the head. Bushmaster all the way. I dont care for heavy barrels and tight fitting recievers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I think RR is great plus I love the trigger and hogue grips. IMO the only thing Bushmaster has on RR is that Bushy ships with a hard case. I almost cryed Monday when I opened up the box and saw my new gun in some wadded up papers and filthy, dusty dirty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#29]
bushmaster, all the way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I have 2 bushys, a Varminter, 16 HBAR and one RRA NM. The bushys have a better overall finish and better materials. The RRA shoots very nice but the finish is very rough especially on the Bolt and carrier. Also I am not impressed with their 2 stage trigger. Next one will be a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The dremel thing is taken way out of proportion.

But for the price range, buy a STAG.

what would one do if they needed to replace the upper reciever? if they cant do it themselves then they are paying to hack the new reciever.

the uppers with rilfe/non-hacked uppers are great and i have never had a problem with rra parts but i prefer others and its personal preference. just stating what i have experienced.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The dremel thing is taken way out of proportion.

But for the price range, buy a STAG.

what would one do if they needed to replace the upper reciever or barrel? if they cant do it themselves then they are paying to hack the new reciever or barrel extension.

Good points you have there eklikwhoa...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I've owned a Palmeto Armory from long ago, a Colt, and a Bushy.  Bushy is my favorite hands down.  When I bought it I talked with my friend's dad who had a RRA who hated it, so I didn't check much into them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I went with RRA based on the info I got from here...

still waiting for it though, every day my mom gets packages from UPS, it pisses me off.  I get tricked on an almost daily basis into thinking my upper has arrived
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I own 2 RRA's and have no problems with either. As for the feedramps; dremeled or not, mine look just fine, (no canyons here) have held up to many-many rounds and feed flawlessly.  Not throwing off on Bushmaster. It's that I've only owned one of they're preban lowers, so I don't have enough experience with them to give an opinion. BTW, can you still legally purchase and own an AR-15 in Canada?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a Colt sold it needed money

A1 20HBAR Bushmastr sold it  Very accurate btw never hic ups

16HBAR Bushmaster Kept it Very acurrate and never hic ups

LMT 14.5 M4 Type upper only shot 160rds other than that I love it!

I think now I will buy LMT!

However I think RRA are every bit as good as Bushmaster! they need to go with 1/7 LW 14.5/16 barrel C.L.  I also just might get the 18 varmit or a 20 SS with floater both 1/8 twist
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#37]
My first AR was a Bushmasters........then i decided to buy a second AR which i choose a RRA.  After having and using both weapons,  I've decided that both products are nice and function as advertised, but I now build my own AR's using Stag lowers and uppers with the barrel of your choice.  Results?  I'll never buy a new store bought factory AR again.  YOU be the judge............
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I had my choice and took the Bushmaster because of balance, weight and overall snappy handling. Shooting it later told me I made the right choice. RRA would have been my bext choice. Not much difference in the two I believe. Just take care of the one you get, they might not be available for too many years to come.

Oh, and fellas, what (not a gunsmith type here, what is the feed ramp and what's the difference).
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Can someone fill me in on the RRA feedramp problem. Dremeled ,w hat?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's amazing how popular RRA has gotten.  A year ago, this poll would be totally in favor of BM.  In any regard, they are both fine weapons.  The dremel thing is taken way out of proportion.

I guess that's a good opinion if your selling them, but if your buying them, not so good...

Ya keep drinken the Colt is the Way, the Truth and the Light--cool aid..
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#41]
i had a bushmaster with a wilson barrel, and liked it a lot. but when i handled the rock river arms tactical entry model, ( looks like a m4). i traded in the bushmaster . i liked the options you get for the price. i liked the heavy barrel better, makes it easier for me to hit with, i love the trigger, nice and crisp, and light, makes it easier to hit with.  the receiver and upper are super tight, which makes for better accuracy i think. my bushmaster fit a lot more loose. i like the black finish better,  i personally perfere it. i liked it so much that after shooting it, i went and bought a second one EXACTLY the same as the first. fitted them with eotech and arms # 40 flip up sights.  its a really accurate rifle, and totally reliable so far. ( had a case stuck in the chamber, wolf polymer  62 grain hp, but it was obviously a over loaded case, the  pressure flattened the primer) so im not blaming the rifle on the ammo.   i would have rather had the chrome lined barrel, but  imho, its not neccessary. its all preferences. you have to look hard to find a junk gun these days.hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Bushmaster also makes heavy-barrels if you bothered to look (they also have gov't profile, light contour, etc...) Rock River Arms has anything you want, so long as it is a Wilson heavy-barrel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top