Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 3:13:41 PM EDT
Of course, it is tax time, and I was going back and forth between a SIG or my first AR-15.  Well I chose the rifle.  

I have the $$ to put out, so I am just requesting info on what make, and where to buy it.  I live near central Ohio.  I have been looking at RRAs on the internet, and have been looking at bushmasters in person at Vance's Shooting Supplies.  The options I prefer are:
*16" chrome barrell
*detachable carry handle
*collapsible stock

Not too picky, just want something that will shoot tight groups every time.  I have a buddy with iron sights, which will be mine for $40.  I plan on eventually getting a red dot scope.  I also am an active law enforcement officer, as I know this sometimes helps with the pricing.

All suggesstions are welcomed, as I am new to this.  I have shot the hell out of M-16s in the Army, but need  help on my feet here.   Also if anyone knows places to buy Ars in Ohio, please post here, as I would prefer this to having it shipped.  Thanks for the input.
Rob
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out adcofirearms.com Good RRA Prices
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Pharley...thanks for starting this topic...I live here in the beautiful OH, and i am in the market for my first AR! Like you, i am also looking toward the RRA's. Im liking the Entry Tactical the most so far...headbang.gif

Hopefully we can get some good insight.

Diesel
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
ADCO is in Ohio, and is one of the many good guys here on ar15.com www.adcofirearms.com they have a large stock of RRA stuff. If you decide to go with RRA, make sure you avoid the "tactical" carry handle. It is useless, and since you are planning on getting a optic sight, it will only complicate things down the road. Instead spend the extra money now and get a LaRue or LMT BUIS (back up iron sight).

Barrel twist rate is also a consideration that needs to be addressed when setting up your rifle. 1/9 twist for lighter grain bullets (55gr. and below), and 1/7 twist for heavier ammo (62-77gr. ammo). The lighter grain ammo is cheaper to shoot, but the heavier grain ammo has better ballistic performance. If you decide on a 1/7 twist, you will need to get your upper from other than RRA (they only offer 1/9 barrels). For 1/7 twist barreled uppers: CMT/Stag (limited edition), LMT, Bravo company, Colt or a complete custom build are your options.

It is unlikely that you will find as many AR accessories for less money at your local gunshop as you will find here on the EE (equipment exchange) So look here first. I havent gone to my local gunshop to buy anything for my AR's in a long time

Keep in mind that it is usually cheaper to buy a complete rifle, but when you start to add/modify it to your liking, you will have some things that you will need to replace. (costing you more $ in the long run) If you have the money on hand, consider buying a complete lower from one of the many dealers who can build it to your specifications: stock options, grip options, sling mounting options etc...  And then have the same done with your upper: handguard options, iron sight options, etc.

And dont forget magazines! Get USGI 30rounders with MagPul followers!!!

Good luck! And feel free to ask more questions before you buy!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
good point Nick..rarely does any gunshop/local dealer carry premium accessories for EBR (evil black rifles) at a good price
Pharley  +1 for ADCO firearms...not sure where you live, but IMHO it's worth a 4 hour drive to check out their shelves
happy shopping
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Cant really go wrong with a Bushmaster OR an RRA. I like the Bushmaster though
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I just went through this same decision for the same reason (tax return) and went with the Bushy.

Thus far it has been an amazing shooting rifle.  From everything I have ever read the RRA is a solid rifle and was my second choice.  I just got an incredible deal on the Bushy so went that route.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a new owner myself and tried to do as much research as possible and then looked for a deal.  Ended up with a NIB Bushy "Patrolman's Carbine", marketing speak for an M4 flattop with colapsible stock, $940.  Hindsight says I could probably do without the notch on the barrel for the grenade launcher, would be fine with the plain heavy profile.  Gun store reasoning says when president Hillary outlaws them again, the M4 will be worth more.  I don't plan on selling it, but may need to bayonet someone.
Stock factory gun is fun and safe, you don't know until you start your personal mods what you might like.  G27 grip is wonderful, and you don't get the need for a tactical latch until you mount a scope.  Jump in, have fun, and lie to your wife about what it costs.
E.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a side note from my experiances.

RRA is a great brand, I currently own 3 of them.  My first RRA was a 20 inch full float stainless Varminter.  Sweet looking and shooting rifle.  The bull barrel is sweet and maintains accuracy better than most.  I did however have one problem with it.  Well, not really a problem, just a oversight on my part.  RRA rifles tend to not be "shoot out of box" guns.  I failed to dis assemble the rifle first and properly lube it.  This caused a very frustrating day at the range, jam after jam.  Found a few friends, took it apart, at the range, lubed it, shot great ever since.  

Of course I clean all my weapons as soon as I return from the range, just remember to lube it before you shoot it the first time.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ADCO is in Ohio, and is one of the many good guys here on ar15.com www.adcofirearms.com they have a large stock of RRA stuff. If you decide to go with RRA, make sure you avoid the "tactical" carry handle. It is useless, and since you are planning on getting a optic sight, it will only complicate things down the road. Instead spend the extra money now and get a LaRue or LMT BUIS (back up iron sight).

Barrel twist rate is also a consideration that needs to be addressed when setting up your rifle. 1/9 twist for lighter grain bullets (55gr. and below), and 1/7 twist for heavier ammo (62-77gr. ammo). The lighter grain ammo is cheaper to shoot, but the heavier grain ammo has better ballistic performance. If you decide on a 1/7 twist, you will need to get your upper from other than RRA (they only offer 1/9 barrels). For 1/7 twist barreled uppers: CMT/Stag (limited edition), LMT, Bravo company, Colt or a complete custom build are your options.

It is unlikely that you will find as many AR accessories for less money at your local gunshop as you will find here on the EE (equipment exchange) So look here first. I havent gone to my local gunshop to buy anything for my AR's in a long time

Keep in mind that it is usually cheaper to buy a complete rifle, but when you start to add/modify it to your liking, you will have some things that you will need to replace. (costing you more $ in the long run) If you have the money on hand, consider buying a complete lower from one of the many dealers who can build it to your specifications: stock options, grip options, sling mounting options etc...  And then have the same done with your upper: handguard options, iron sight options, etc.

And dont forget magazines! Get USGI 30rounders with MagPul followers!!!

Good luck! And feel free to ask more questions before you buy!

+50000 for that one.  Our gun stores here in Fayetteville NC normally will rip you off if you don't know what you are looking at.  Equiptment Exchange is a great place.  You can even find dealers to buy your rifle from if you'd like.  Nice stuff, great prices.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cant really go wrong with a Bushmaster OR an RRA. I like the Bushmaster though

+1 for both replies and going to adco firearms
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top