Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 9:28:36 AM EDT
i have an A3 upper that has a funny looking  A buy the ejection port does any body know who made this?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If its a splintered A, Olympic Arms...

If the A has F stamped over the right side of it, Alcoa Forge product... Finished by Bushmaster...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
olympic arms?

i have several splintered A upper recievers and they are from complete bushmaster rifles.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
olympic arms?

i have several splintered A upper recievers and they are from complete bushmaster rifles.

According to this website,

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/

Could be a mistake made by the author of the writings at biggerhammer or maybe at one time Bushmaster purchased receivers from Oly? Bushmaster has been known to go out of house for parts...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Anchor forge?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Alcoa forge

Anchor forge

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, two factory Bushmaster rifles/uppers I have gotten direct from Bushmaster had the splintered "A" forging mark.  Both were A2s.

I now have three A4 receivers from CMT that have the spiintered "A" forging mark on them.

They are from Anchor Harvey forging company.  Many rifle manufacturers use these raw forgings.

"AF" connected is pretty exclusive to Colt equipment, AFAIK.

The bottom line on forging marks:

Unless it's an exclusive forging mark, like Colt, RRA (RRA laser etches most of their new receivers, but hundreds, if not thousands were made without this etching) and Armalite, and this receiver magically appears in your hands from thin air, THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL WHO FINISHED THAT RAW FORGING.

Additionally, biggerhammer's info was up to date in the late '80s and/or early '90s AND IS NO LONGER CURRENT TO TODAY'S AR PARTS MARKET.  It is a wealth of historical data, though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FWIW, two factory Bushmaster rifles/uppers I have gotten direct from Bushmaster had the splintered "A" forging mark.  Both were A2s.

I now have three A4 receivers from CMT that have the spiintered "A" forging mark on them.

They are from Anchor Harvey forging company.  Many rifle manufacturers use these raw forgings.

"AF" connected is pretty exclusive to Colt equipment, AFAIK.

The bottom line on forging marks:

Unless it's an exclusive forging mark, like Colt, RRA (RRA laser etches most of their new receivers, but hundreds, if not thousands were made without this etching) and Armalite, and this receiver magically appears in your hands from thin air, THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL WHO FINISHED THAT RAW FORGING.

Additionally, biggerhammer's info was up to date in the late '80s and/or early '90s AND IS NO LONGER CURRENT TO TODAY'S AR PARTS MARKET.  It is a wealth of historical data, though.

Thanks mongo, I didnt realize that site hasnt been updated latley...

You know what, I know better than to assume that it was OLY... I know its not possible to tell who the manufacturer from looking at a forging mark... biggerhammer threw off my better judgement, so to speak...

Ive seen many Bushmasters with just the key hole forge mark and other Bushmasters with just the AF smeared together forge mark too... Ive never seen one with the splintered A... I know their using them now though... Thanks bud...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anchor forge

The "splintered" A is actually an A over a H, for Anchor Harvey forge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top