Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 4:50:02 PM EDT
My understanding is that of the newly manufactured lowers, only bushmaster will accept a RDIAS, because of having no block and the shelf height.  Is that correct?

thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I think there are many others, not just Bushmaster.  Colt is the only manufacturer that I know who adds a sear block.  I know Mega, Lauer, LMT are all sear ready.

Not positive, but if it's billed as "mil-spec" I'm sure you can trust that it is DIAS-ready.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
My RRA lower has "the shelf", so it wouldn't work either.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think there are many others, not just Bushmaster.  Colt is the only manufacturer that I know who adds a sear block.  I know Mega, Lauer, LMT are all sear ready.

Not positive, but if it's billed as "mil-spec" I'm sure you can trust that it is DIAS-ready.

The block that COLT has isn't the only thing you need to watch for... You need to look to see if it has a high or low shelf... A lot of manufacturers advertise their lowers as being mil-spec and it will have a high shelf...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
"The block that COLT has isn't the only thing you need to watch for... You need to look to see if it has a high or low shelf too... A lot of manufacturers advertise their lowers as being mil-spec it will have a high shelf..."

That's what I am thinking about LMT/Lauer/PWA.  I have LCW and PWA, both made by LMT, and they have a high shelf compared to my bushmaster.  

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"The block that COLT has isn't the only thing you need to watch for... You need to look to see if it has a high or low shelf too... A lot of manufacturers advertise their lowers as being mil-spec it will have a high shelf..."

That's what I am thinking about LMT/Lauer/PWA.  I have LCW and PWA, both made by LMT, and they have a high shelf compared to my bushmaster.  

Thats the difference... When considering a RDIAS, low shelf good, high shelf bad...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe Ameetec lowers are also spec for RDIAS, but check with them to make sure.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
LMT's are high shelf....
What about CMT or LRB receivers? Anybody know?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics of high shelf vs. low shelf???  I'm curious about this also...

TS
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Pics of high shelf vs. low shelf???  I'm curious about this also...

TS

I would, but I can't get to the safe for the sleeping folks...

BUT I can offer this...  An upper with a LOW shelf can use an "accu-wedge", an upper with a HIGH shelf cannot.  There is not enough room between the "shelf" and the upper's rear pivot post to close the upper to the lower.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Gotcha.  I can check quite easily then, thanks!!!

TS
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Bushmaster is the only one I have seen in person thats a Low Shelf. All the other brands I have seen are high or blocked in various ways.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah heck with it...  The wife sleeps like a brick anyways.

I tried to take several pictures, but the difference is SO subtle, I couldn't tell which was which in the pictures, SO I went with my own suggestion, threw in an accu-wedge, and it was obvious.

Bushmaster lower on the left, Rock River Arms lower on the right.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]
LAR is good to go. FAR too IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#14]
For my RDIAS, I've got a LAR, POF, and AR47.  All of which are low shelf.

The ultimate lower for a RDIAS has to be the new MGI lower for obvious reasons.  Unfortunately, it is high shelf.  I've had mine milled out.

Below is a pic of mine.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:06:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I just read on CMMG's website, that theirs are low shelf.  It'd be nice to compile a list.

So far we have:

Bushmaster
CMMG
POF
LAR

Anyone know for sure on others like Fulton, Superior, etc.?

I guess it really doesn't matter if you're not looking at a RDIAs...but I am, so I'm interested in finding out.

thanks  

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:20:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if POF and DSA are the same...

TS
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Olympic Arms are low shelf also.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Also LOW QUALITY!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The ultimate lower for a RDIAS has to be the new MGI lower for obvious reasons.  Unfortunately, it is high shelf.  I've had mine milled out.

WHAT IN THE HELL IS THAT???
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.c3junkie.com/m16/MGI/lower.jpg

WHAT IN THE HELL IS THAT???

mgi's modular lower with replaceable/changable mag wells to accept a wide variety of calibers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#21]
bushmaster
ameetec
dpms

are all lowers that i know are low shelf

cmt products are high shelf.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

mgi's modular lower with replaceable/changable mag wells to accept a wide variety of calibers.

That's crazy!  I thought it was a photoshop or a destroyed receiver.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have a link to this MGI thing?  Sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:50:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ah heck with it...  The wife sleeps like a brick anyways.

I tried to take several pictures, but the difference is SO subtle, I couldn't tell which was which in the pictures, SO I went with my own suggestion, threw in an accu-wedge, and it was obvious.

Bushmaster lower on the left, Rock River Arms lower on the right.

Hope this helps!

It looks like the high shelf is flush with the top of the selector switch, and on the low shelf it looks like half of the selector switch is above the shelf.  Would you agree?

Edit - Just checked two of mine.  Bushmaster is visibly lower, and PWA is a high shelf.

The shelf isn't quite halfway through the selector switch on the low shelf.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Add Superior Arms to the low shelf list....and a damn nice looking lower as far as quality goes.  It'll probably be my next lower
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#27]
my 2 preban eagle arms EA-15 are as follows:

ser. no 13xxx is low shelf

ser. no 20xxx is high shelf
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#28]
MEGA is low shelf.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's crazy!  I thought it was a photoshop or a destroyed receiver.

Since markm has clearly been rattled I'll have to step in here:
IT SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
bushmaster ("L" series)
ameetec
dpms

are all lowers that I know are low shelf

That's because all of those are milled by LAR. LAR also makes Grizzley lowers and they also have the low shelf.

All CMT and LMT made lowers that I've seen or heard about have the high shelf.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:39:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Cheers

That goes without SAY!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#32]
RDIAS works great in my Oly
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheers

That goes without SAY!!!

Rattled or not, I bet even you would have to agree that, that modular lower is SWEET.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Now I know I wasn't crazy trying to fit an accuwedge into my RRA lower.  Go figure, it fit into a Colt with the big ass block in it?!

Seems to me, everybody should be making low shelf lowers.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Seems to me, everybody should be making low shelf lowers.  

Yup!

TS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Is this an exhaustive list???  

Bump!

TS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also LOW QUALITY!

w00t!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top