Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:23:12 PM EDT
does it harm the AR15 by dry firing it sometimes?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No, not as long as you dry fire it with the upper receiver attached.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the difference between with and without the upper attached?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#3]
with the upper on, you'll be totally fine, as the firing pin absorbs the force of the hammer striking

without a upper attached, the hammer will hit the bolt catch and possibly snap it, as the metal is quite brittle
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The hammer also hits the aluminulm at the rear of the mag well which is pretty thin.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
What about the over extension of the firing pin when it has nothing to hit when you pull the trigger.
Are you saying this doesn't hurt any springs ?? The firing pin certainly expects to strike something shortly after passing through the bolt face -- No ???

I always use snap caps to allow the bolt & firing pin to operate as close to normal as possible........is this a waste of time ???

JF.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure which spring it is that you're referring to there Sniper350, but no I have never had any problems from dry firing.  My ARs have been dry fired tens of thousands of times, and have been live (wet?) fired merely a thousand or two times. (you can tell how often I get to the range)  If it really bothers you, snap caps are an option, but they usually break after a few months of use.  You could also keep a spare firing pin around too.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What about the over extension of the firing pin when it has nothing to hit when you pull the trigger. Are you saying this doesn't hurt any springs ?? The firing pin certainly expects to strike something shortly after passing through the bolt face -- No ???

I always use snap caps to allow the bolt & firing pin to operate as close to normal as possible........is this a waste of time ???

JF.

Snap caps are unnecessary with the AR15 design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top