Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 9:10:09 AM EDT

I have a 20" Colt bbl (A1) that I want to cut down to a 16", open the gas port, and install the Vortex fh.

I know the Vortex will work fine with the thinner profile of the A1 vs A2, just needed some confirmation.

I am looking around for a used Vortex since I am going to Krylon the project.  

Anyone see any forseeable problems with this plan?

ETA:  Thanks for reading and any replies/suggestions!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for 20" > 16" bbl chopping info.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that A1 barrels (lightweight right?) were stepped-up in diameter just before the flash suppressor so that it had enough "meat" to attach and thread onto the barrel.

So if you chop the 20" lightweight barrel to 16" won't you lose the "Stepped-up" part of the barrel that the Vortex would thread onto?  And you can't make the now 16" A1 barrel wider at the end right (can't make it thicker for threading)?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what eklikwhoa posted in the Built it section...

"the vortex will fit perfect!

i have a couple of pencil bbl.s that i cut down and installed flashhiders on and the only problem i ran into was with the regular split washers, they tend to ride over the short shoulder of a cut down pencil bbl. but instead i used crush washers that fit on the shoulder fine. with the vortex you will not need a washer if the threads arent long so it should shoulder up fine."

That should work ok, right?

Anyone, Bueller?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
yes it will work.

here is a pic of what i did but with a phantom and crush washer, post-ban superlight bbl. threaded which didnt have the "flange" for the flash hider.

here is a no-ban superlight bbl which was cut down to about 12.5" that did have the flange to begin with but not anymore and total silence's moderator and grenade ring.

both are bushmaster's superlight bbl. which is similar in profile to the pencil bbl being .625 at the fsb.

adcofirearms did the second bbl. along with opening the gas port for proper functioning of the shorter bbl. nfa_investments did the first bbl. and that was done shortly after the ban died.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I've shortened a bunch of pencil barrels form 20" to 16.5" and the lack of the bumped-up shoulder is not a problem. As stated, use the peel/crush washer, or a properly-fitting split washer, and you're good to go.

As for opening the gas port, don't. I haven't done it on a single one yet, and they've all run just fine. Even cold-weather testing. The last one I tested (just to be sure for the LEO I was doing the work for) I left out in the cold overnight to a brisk 17 degrees. Ammo, too. It worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I love to do a 18" cut down from a pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a vortex coming my way.

Have this:

It is the type that is "beveled" on the outside and inside.  Is that the correct type?

I will send it off to ADCO when I have everything together.

I will post how it all turned out.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#8]
you dont need a crush washer with the vortex.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Gotcha, thanks again!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top