Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 4:41:58 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm wanting to build a relatively light weight, kiss 16" carbine and think the barrel from the 6520 would be perfect but I need to know two things...

1. Does this barrel have M4 feedramps? If so, which (if any) Colt models came with a 1/7 twist 16" pencil barrel without M4 ramps?

2. Can someone post a pic of the barrel without the handguards mounted? I would like to see exactly what the barrel's profile looks like?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine has ramps.  Can't post pics without the handguard, it has a DD tube on it.

BTW, the A2 receiver it came with had Dremel ramps, not factory, anodized ramps.  It was a "C AF" receiver.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The MAJORITY of Colt 6520 1-7  barrels are chrome lined (bore & chamber), M4 barrel extensions w/ 4 marked at the 3 o'clock position, and 4150 steel.  There may be the occasional unexplained barrel which contradicts this, though not the norm.  I'll try to dig up a pic.    

Don't confuse these with the Colt 6320 1-9 lightweight barrels.  

A lot of my data comes from Specialized Armament and my own observations.  I've had 5-6 of these types barrels over the last couple years.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

BTW, the A2 receiver it came with had Dremel ramps, not factory, anodized ramps.  It was a "C AF" receiver.

mongo,

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised to hear about the dremeled ramps. I want to use a C7\A1 upper and as far as I know, you can't get those with M4 cuts and would prefer to stay away from dremeled ramps.

As far as the profile goes, is it stepped down after the chamber to .625" and straight from there to the muzzle or is it even skinnier under the HG and stepped back up for the FSB on out (basically a skinner version of the A2 gov't profile) (assuming that made any sense? )

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mongo,

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised to hear about the dremeled ramps. I want to use a C7\A1 upper and as far as I know, you can't get those with M4 cuts and would prefer to stay away from dremeled ramps.

As far as the profile goes, is it stepped down after the chamber to .625" and straight from there to the muzzle or is it even skinnier under the HG and stepped back up for the FSB on out (basically a skinner version of the A2 gov't profile) (assuming that made any sense? )

Thanks

Someone has Colt admitting that a limited number of barrel/receiver combos made it out of the factory with one or both Dremeled.  I can't remember where I read that, but it was here somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Remember not to confuse these with the Colt 6320 1-9 lightweight barrels, which seems to have more variation in that "some" may lack some of the features as the 1-7 6520.  

ch11x -

To the best of your knowledge, is the 6520 my only choice for a Colt 16" 1/7 twist lightweight barrel? Is the 6320 barrel my only other choice (regardless of twist and barrel ext.) for a 16" lightweight Colt barrel?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Remember not to confuse these with the Colt 6320 1-9 lightweight barrels, which seems to have more variation in that "some" may lack some of the features as the 1-7 6520.  

ch11x -

To the best of your knowledge, is the 6520 my only choice for a Colt 16" 1/7 twist lightweight barrel? Is the 6320 barrel my only other choice (regardless of twist and barrel ext.) for a 16" lightweight Colt barrel?

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge, those are your choices, unless you turn down an HBAR.  

Also, nothing wrong with a 6320 1-9 barrel.  Both are expensive when purchased new.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:22:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
To the best of my knowledge, those are your choices, unless you turn down an HBAR.  

Also, nothing wrong with a 6320 1-9 barrel.  Both are expensive when purchased new.  

True, 1/9 would probably be fine for this application but given the choice, I prefer 1/7. Also true that either of these barrels would be expensive new through some place like SAW Sales or similar but I've had good luck on the EE. Just wanted to make sure I knew "what was what" before telling somebody "I'll take it". I'm also not stuck having to get a new barrel. A good shape used barrel would be just fine here.

I thought about having something turned down but that's cost prohibitive, especially for this build. I'm wanting to keep this one as inexpensive as possibly (without cutting corners) so I'm figuring I don't want to sink more then $200 tops on the barrel itself.

I would still like to see a pic of either the 6520 or 6320 barrels if anybody has one?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Never heard of a CAF A2 upper forging.

I would have to look it up to be sure, but I think the 6520 has been in production for close to 10 years, so there is going to be quite a few variations of the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have to look it up to be sure, but I think the 6520 has been in production for close to 10 years, so there is going to be quite a few variations of the barrel.

I've had three and still have one in my safe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#10]
My 6520 (barrel made in 11/05) had the dremel feed ramps & barrel extension.  It was a keyhole marked upper.  The cam pin clearance cut is also getting beat to shit on both sides of the cutout.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had three and still have one in my safe.

Learn something new everyday.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I have two 6520s bought within the last 6 months.  Both have what appear to me to be real M4 ramps in both the barrel and the receiver.

I don't belive you'd have any problems running a ramped barrel in a non-ramped upper, but the reverse could be problematic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#13]
cgv69,

You might be able to find a C7 type upper with M4 ramps. Colt uses C7 uppers on the R0733 and LE6320.

YardDogOne owns a couple of 6320s, I'm sure he could tell you if they have M4 ramps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]
IIRC the 6520 uppers with the non-anodized M4 feedramps weren't "dremmeled," they were just put back into the machine and cut after anodizing.  Most likely because once these barrels and uppers made it to the assembly stage someone realized the only barrel extensions on hand were M4, or the decision was made to use only M4 extensions from that point on, but the upper receivers were already finished.  Except for the lack of anodizing on them, the M4 feedramps on my 6520 are identical to those on my 6920 upper and do not appear to be dremmeled.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:29:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
cgv69,

You might be able to find a C7 type upper with M4 ramps. Colt uses C7 uppers on the R0733 and LE6320.

YardDogOne owns a couple of 6320s, I'm sure he could tell you if they have M4 ramps.

I have a feeling finding a C7 upper with factory M4 ramps would not be an easy task. If I could find one that would be a sweet setup! Thanks for the info!

I'll shoot YD1 an e-mail and see what he can tell me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cgv69,

I have a feeling finding a C7 upper with factory M4 ramps would not be an easy task. If I could find one that would be a sweet setup! Thanks for the info!

I'll shoot YD1 an e-mail and see what he can tell me.

cgv69,

SAW has them, I just purchased one about 3 months ago and had them install a 6520 1-7 lightweight barrel into a C7/A1 Diemaco marked upper receiver.  SAW has C7/A1 (6320?) uppers with the correct M4 feedramps which match up perfectly with the barrel extension.  Here's a couple pics of A1/C7 uppers w/ correct M4 ramps ( READ NOT CUTS ADDED IN LATER):  

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
ch11x -

That is exactly what I want but I'm afraid to ask what SAW charged for that?

Honestly, while the M4 ramps would be nice to have, I'm not that worried about it. What I don't want is a mismatch between the upper and barrel ext. As in_burrito pointed out above, I could get away with a M4 ext. barrel in a standard feed ramp upper but that still seems kind of cheesy to me.

Thanks for the pics. That does look sweet and probably handles like a dream?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ch11x -

That is exactly what I want but I'm afraid to ask what SAW charged for that?

Honestly, while the M4 ramps would be nice to have, I'm not that worried about it. What I don't want is a mismatch between the upper and barrel ext. As in_burrito pointed out above, I could get away with a M4 ext. barrel in a standard feed ramp upper but that still seems kind of cheesy to me.

Thanks for the pics. That does look sweet and probably handles like a dream?

Ken E. at SAW did an outstanding job as usual of assembling the Colt upper.  This upper is good to go, though a a little more money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Silly, me, I have two "C AF" A2s in my safe.

One with "afterthought ramps" and one without ramps.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a colt ar15 that has the thin barrel and real m4 ramps.

it is an older one, but not green label old
the front of the receiver says AR-15 A2 gov't carbine
Colt mfg co inc is stamped toward the rear with the location.
GC 015,000 serial range.

i don't know what the colt model number is for it though.

1/7 twist, 16" A2 flash hider and bayonet lug.
it is a pencil barrel.

It has real M4 ramps, not the dremel jobs.

the upper has C MB forge code, and a "4" stamped about an inch or so above the gas tube.
the barrel extension has the "4" on it as well.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

img227.imageshack.us/img227/1491/dsc023857zt.jpg

Mongo,

Curious, do either of your "C AF" uppers in your picture have "M 4 " markings above the cloverleaf/gas tube hole?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img227.imageshack.us/img227/1491/dsc023857zt.jpg</a>

Mongo,

Curious, do either of your "C AF" uppers in your picture have "M 4 " markings above the cloverleaf/gas tube hole?

Neither.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

img227.imageshack.us/img227/1491/dsc023857zt.jpg

Thanks for shooting the pictures, cool stuff.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have a colt ar15 that has the thin barrel and real m4 ramps.

it is an older one, but not green label old
the front of the receiver says AR-15 A2 gov't carbine
Colt mfg co inc is stamped toward the rear with the location.
GC 015,000 serial range.

i don't know what the colt model number is for it though.

1/7 twist, 16" A2 flash hider and bayonet lug.
it is a pencil barrel.

It has real M4 ramps, not the dremel jobs.

the upper has C MB forge code, and a "4" stamped about an inch or so above the gas tube.
the barrel extension has the "4" on it as well.  

The Government Carbines hit at least 18,000 in 1994.  Considering the serial number, and that yours has the 4 stamp on the receiver extension I bet it has a O stamped above the chamber, and a two digit number behind the FSB under the handguards.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#25]
The "O" is there, no numbers stamped behind FSB.

This is O/T but why do newer M4 barrels have two steps into sides of the handguard caps?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:32:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of one I just sold. It was 1/7 twist and had M4 ramps. The date on it was 9/03.
www.hunt101.com/img/367402.JPG

Copper, that's a 6920 barrel which is a completely different animal then what we are discussing here. Thanks anyway
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The "O" is there, no numbers stamped behind FSB.

There should be a number there, like say a 15 stamped on the barrel, under the handguards, real close to the handguard cap.  Could be at TDC, on the bottom, or on the side of the barrel.  Like this:

Quoted:
This is O/T but why do newer M4 barrels have two steps into sides of the handguard caps?

Hmm, I will take a look and see if I can spot what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#29]
BTT on this, need to see if there is any info for the 6520 data base......................
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#30]

I would still like to see a pic of either the 6520 or 6320 barrels if anybody has one?

Here you are.  Both of these 6520 barrels have the M4 feed ramps.  The fixed handle receiver has the M4 ramps from the factory.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#31]
C MB
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:03:11 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Here you are.  Both of these 6520 barrels have the M4 feed ramps.  The fixed handle receiver has the M4 ramps from the factory.

home.comcast.net/~gocartmozart/colt_6520_e.jpg

home.comcast.net/~gocartmozart/colt_6520_d.jpg

home.comcast.net/~gocartmozart/colt_6520_c.jpg

Thank you sir!

Another question if any of you happen to know? How close is BM's "Superlight" barrel's profile to the Colt 6520's?..

From Bushmaster's site:
Diameter tapers from .670 inches at the chamber end to .600, then steps up to .625 at the sight base, and tapers to .570 from the sight base to the muzzle - similar to the original Vietnam era A1 barrel profile.

How close is that to the Colt? Does the Colt barrel tapered from the sight base to the muzzle?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#33]

How close is that to the Colt? Does the Colt barrel tapered from the sight base to the muzzle

Those measurements seem to be pretty close to my Colt 6520.  

.675" in front of the chamber
.610" behind the front sight base
.625" at the front sight base
.570" in front of the front sight base all the way to the flash hider (with a small increase just before the flash hider)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

How close is that to the Colt? Does the Colt barrel tapered from the sight base to the muzzle

Those measurements seem to be pretty close to my Colt 6520.  

.675" in front of the chamber
.610" behind the front sight base
.625" at the front sight base
.570" in front of the front sight base all the way to the flash hider (with a small increase just before the flash hider)

Thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top